PDA

View Full Version : Muckleshoot $20/40 Train Wreck

bobbyi
10-05-2004, 05:17 PM
Oh dear...

Preflop: Two players limp (EP and LP). I raise AQo in the SB. The BB and the limpers call.
Flop: KJJ, with a two flush I have no part of. I bet out and BB and LP just call (we lose EP).
Turn: Qo. I bet and they again both just call.
River: 8o. I check, BB checks and LP bets. I call.

I hated the way this played out, but I'm not sure what I chould have done differently. Anyone have a better line here?

Jeffage
10-05-2004, 05:34 PM
With the two limpers (one in EP), I may just call so I have an easier possible flop checkraise. Raising may make this hand tougher to play out of position. If both we're LP limpers, I like the raise a little better. Preflop play here depends on the game also. As you played it...I smell danger when I'm called on the flop, but when the Queen comes I fire again. I like the river check when you get called twice on the turn. I would call the bet also. You're either looking at a slowplayed Jack or KJ or a Queen that you beat...Ace plays. A lone king is possible, but doubtful bc you probably get raised somewhere. A10, 10-9 also possible. Look him up.

Jeff

Roy Hobbs
10-05-2004, 07:21 PM
You played this fine. Call the river.

RH

risen
10-05-2004, 07:46 PM
I'm not a fan of the Preflop raise here, because you are just about required to lead any flop and could get into a bunch of trouble here. Preflop with 2 limpers, I like to just complete with AQo, Setting up the flop C/R.

Since you did raise Preflop, I think your line is the way to go, But after failing to take it down with the flop bet, you're not looking like a good bet to win a showdown. If you're feeling frisky a turn C/R might do the trick, but I'd rather get away from this entirely, all of your possible outs are tainted. Bad scene.

lil feller
10-05-2004, 08:00 PM
what do you put each player on at the end of the hand? Would a J have raised on the turn (I'd assume so, but I don't know the players)? Did the EP look like he was going to call the river bet?

Preflop I love this play, you clearly have the better hand and should extract max value from it. The flop bet is good, but unfortunately there is a good chance that that flop helped somebody else. The turn bet is tough. I think you honestly have to evaluate whether or not you are in front. If not, you can't really call, so why bet. If feel that you are then betting is the way to go, don't want to risk a free card. The river would really depend on my read on the other two players? If you think EP has a K you must C/R the river to get him out and hope LP is bluffing a missed draw. Again, tough to say without any information on the players.

danderso8
10-05-2004, 08:06 PM
What does the flop bet do for you? Barring the K & J, you are ahead of any ace and any non-pocket-pair hand, but behind most hands that would call. you might lose someone with a single sooted card or a single card to the straight (of these, you are only worried about the T or 9 anyhow; the A & Q have you ahead), but that player's straight is a longshot anyhow & you'd love to have him chase.

I'd check & if it checks thru, bet the turn no matter what card (except maybe Ao which could be a C/R). If someone bets, call & check-fold to a scary turn card, check-call a queen, bet an A.

--Dan

lil feller
10-05-2004, 08:23 PM
Should he flip his hand face up after the flop too?

pudley4
10-06-2004, 10:55 AM
I must suck because I play it the same. Although I probably bet the river and fold to a raise.

bobbyi
10-06-2004, 10:15 PM
It was very hard to put them on hands. The reason I posted this hand is that I found it very unpleasant to play. Part of the reason for that is that the whole time, I had no idea where I was. When I bet the flop, I was hoping to take the pot down immediately. I think that the chance of this was decent and my bet was reasonable. However, I was expecting that if I did get played with, someone was going to raise. When two people just called, it confused me a bit. On the turn I didn't know where I was. I certainly could be behind to a king or slowplayed jack. Or they could have taken one off on the flop with some crappy hand that they intended to fold on the turn. People seem to do that for some reason. I was surprised when they both just called again. I again thought that I was either going to get raised or at least one of them would fold.

So on the river, I didn't know where I was. I thought that with these opponents, a jack was very unlikely given the lack of raises so far. It looked like I was either agaisnt a king or against some missed flush draw or pocket pair. But it was hard to imagine either of them calling down with 77 or similar. I figured that the most likely scenario was that at least one of them had a king with no kicker and had decided to just call with it all the way, fearing I had a better hand. It seemed very unlikely that either would fold a king for one more bet. If they called this far, it's because they are intending to go to a showdown. I also thought that these opponents would check behind on the river with a king with no kicker. Otherwise, they missed or have some crappy hand that might not call another bet. So I didn't see much to be gained from betting. But I really expected it to check around. The river shouldn't have helped anyone, and if they had a much better hand than me, I would expect to have heard about it on the turn. With just a king, I would expect these opponents to check behind, as said. So the river bet looked suspicious which is why I called, even though I didn't think a bluff was terribly likely. As said, I was confused.

As it turned out, BB overcalled on the river. She had a king (she showed it). Something like K6o. It may have been suited, but I don't think it was. So she had behaved as I expeted. The part I didn't expect is that the bettor had ATo for the turned straight. I think he didn't raise the turn because he feared it was no good (but changed his mind when no one could bet the river). Which makes his flop call to draw to the gutshot seem a bit silly. Honestly, that hand was not a possibility that had occurred to me, which made me feel a bit stupid. Of course, even if I can considered the straight as a danger, it still wouldn't have been a likely one and I would have still been stuck paying him off.

Even though my preflop raise ended up making this hand more difficult to play given the flop that came, I still think that getting more money in with AQo against ATo and K6o (and some third mystery hand) preflop was the right thing to do.

bernie
10-07-2004, 04:30 AM
I read the results...

In that game, your Q on the turn only traps you. I like the bet, as you say, some will call with whatever. Player dependent on that. Usually, i might check the turn. It's very likely at least one of them has you buried when they call the flop. No one had a J as no one raised the turn like they like to do.

If not sure of what LP would bet here, go ahead and call it. Without the flush draw, it's an easier play.

Some would be pretty obvious betting this river that they have the one pair beat though as they wouldn't bet with anything that you can beat.

Interesting hand.

b