PDA

View Full Version : A particularly poorly played Party pair.

chesspain
10-05-2004, 05:02 PM
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

I haven't been at this table very long, and the only player I have a read on is MP1, who is a super silly LAG.

Preflop: chesspain is BB with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, chesspain checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">chesspain bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, chesspain calls, MP1 folds, MP3 calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
chesspain checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, chesspain calls, MP3 calls.

River: (9.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
chesspain checks, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, chesspain folds.

<font color="blue">...and about five minutes later, I realized as I was reveiwing this hand in my head that the rivered K would have given me a split with 98/J8/Q8...ugh...and for those of you who think this river was an autocall, would you also say I should have called even if the river was some baby rag?</font>

elindauer
10-05-2004, 05:12 PM
Hi chesspain,

You're in bad shape after the flop. When the turn makes the straight draw too, you should fold since you don't close the action.

Good luck.
Eric

PS Call the river. He may be on spades.

Yeknom58
10-05-2004, 05:23 PM
yea river was surely a call with the intention of splitting or picking off a spade draw/small PP bluff.

Did you consider CR'ing the turn as the button's raise could easily be a spade draw and you might get MP3 to laydown a better 8. Of course this line could go to crap really quickly but I do think it increases your chances of winning this pot. I'm not sure yet but I think I like CR better than check call.

I'm not sure what I'd do on the river if a rag fell but I think I would likely fold because MP3 is still in the hand and yell at the screen when the MP3 didn't call the river bet.

chesspain
10-05-2004, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi chesspain,

You're in bad shape after the flop. When the turn makes the straight draw too, you should fold since you don't close the action.

Good luck.
Eric

PS Call the river. He may be on spades.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although you think I should fold the turn because there is one player behind me, (even though I have a pair and a gutshot), you further think I should call the river simply because the flop raiser/turn bettor may be on spades?

I'm confused.

Aces McGee
10-05-2004, 05:39 PM
Don't practice your alliteration on me (http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/sg/python/Scripts/ContractualObligations/TheChurchBells)

I think you have a definite river call here. There's a chance he's on A8 or a pocket pair, but he could be on spades (another poster said) or you could be chopping (like you said). It's not a bad time to get a read on the guy, as your hand has good showdown value and you have a reasonable chance of picking up at least half the pot.

If the river is some rag...most days, I call, but quite honestly, I don't know if it's right. Without a read, I think both calling and folding are defensible.

-McGee