PDA

View Full Version : Good laydown?

12-14-2001, 01:16 AM
This hand bugged me alot when it first happened. Looking back I think I made the right play, it just didn't work out in my favor.

$1-$2 pot limit on Ultimate Bet Amounts are rounded for simplicity.

Stack sizes:

BB-400

UTG-200

next-75

me-200

UTG calls $2, next makes it $4, I make it $15 with QQ. All fold to BB who calls, as do the other two. 4 handed/$60 pot.

Flop is 5 8 10 rainbow.

BB bets pot, $60. (My thoughts as soon as he bet were to raise the pot when it gets to me.) However, UTG calls, next raises all-in for just a few dollars more. (My first thought now was still to raise all-in. My next thought was...I must be beat, probably by a set as I don't fear a higher pocket pair since I didn't get re-raised before the flop.) I decided to just call the $60 and try to spike a Queen.

Turn is a 6 making the board 5 8 10 6 four suits.

BB Bets $240. UTG Calls $115 all-in! (Ok...there is no flush draw, did somebody play 47 or 79 for $15 before the flop? Probably not but it feels like I'm beat in at least one spot. It's $130 to me to call and I muck.

River is a rag and the BB wins with JJ. The UTG had 9 10 and the other guy had 89.

Maybe I should have seen this coming, but I honestly felt like I was saving money not getting married to my overpair. All comments welcome.

12-14-2001, 01:53 AM
Pot limit hold'em is a game for destroying people who can't let go of overpairs.

However, if you know you are facing absolute fools (which these players obviously are), then you can go with QQ. When you know your opponent is the kind of player who will back top pair, NINE kicker with his whole stack, you can profit from him immensely. Whenever there's a lot of action from him on the flop, the range of his possible holdings is much wider than when you face a good player. So you can more confidently go to war with just an overpair.

However, in this situation, when you have three players all in love with their hands, it's hard to find a way for your QQ to be best. I would lay down here for the original $60 flop bet and not look back. 99 times out of 100, you will lose with an unimproved QQ against 3 players who are committing their stacks to the pot on the flop.

natedogg

12-14-2001, 04:03 PM
I think the $60 call is the worst option here. Your thought process is good in determining that you are probably beat on the flop. With your call you are getting a little better than 8:1 odd to hit a two outer if the BB and UTG commit their stacks. The Q might not be good anyway because one of the yahoos might be playing a 9J draw. I like the re-raise better than the call but the fold is best.