PDA

View Full Version : Heads-up Pot Manipulation?

12-12-2001, 05:39 PM
I just finished about a hour long session of heads-up NLH. The money was fairly deep (stacks about 100 times the big blind), so it was mostly a game of posturing with few showdowns and zero all-ins.

As I was playing the following idea occurred to me. I felt that my opponent played really poorly for certain sized pots but fairly well for other sized pots. I therefore felt tempted to manipulate the betting so that the pot was often a size he played poorly in.

To be explicit, here's a pattern that worked very well for me. I open pot from the SB (also the button) and he called in the BB. 6 BB's in the pot. Flop comes whatever; he checks, I bet pot, he calls. 18 BB's in the pot - the magic number. This was the size I thought he dealt with extremely poorly. Because of this I bet pot when checked to on the flop a much higher percentage than I normally would.

His main weakness was that he check-folded far too often when total blanks hit the turn. More dramatically, he had remarkably little sensitivity to the size of my bet. I could take down a nice sized 18 BB pot with as small a bet as 6 BB well over half the time.

My questions are these. Has anyone else ever experienced this while playing heads-up big bet Hold'em (ineptitude for certain pot sizes)? Is it a reasonable weakness to exploit (i.e. raising with marginal values or checking with decent hands to obtain that magic pot size), or am I giving too much away by doing so?

FlopTheNuts

12-12-2001, 11:11 PM
I don't know about certain pot sizes, but i did once play heads up with a guy that would ALWAYS check raise the turn with a strong hand, and would check raise the flop with a bluff. (limit game)

And i do mean always, every time i played back at the guy on the flop in a 4 hour session he mucked.

Occasionally i would drop to his check raises on the flop so as to not dry out the well so to speak.

The point is bacially find these weaknesses and exploit them, just don't overexplot them.