PDA

View Full Version : XPOST: Big hand in final 4 of sat, top 2 go to super sat

Jurollo
10-05-2004, 04:35 PM
Ok so here is my question, I had gotten down to 4 in a satellite. Blinds were 200/400 with 50 ante, I am in the SB, here is the stacks:
Player A: 2450
Player B: 2620
Jurollo: 13500
Player C: 12930

Ok I am in SB, Player C in BB, we are by far two top chip leaders and have both done our share of bullying. However, the short stacks were good players and took advantage of any opportunity to double up. Top 2 spots get a shot in the super sat. 3rd gets buy in back. Am I basically assured a spot in the Top 2 at this point? I wasn't 100% sure and then came this hand.

Player A folds, Player B Folds, I see AKo in the SB and raise to 1600. BB who has been tight aggressive preflop, calls for the remaining 1200. Not what I really wanted. Two big stacks rumbling here.

Flop: 6dAh6h

I bet 4000, he raises me all-in. At this point I have 5600 of my 13K invested and for 7K more I could win 25K, the only thing that makes me question this is that top 2 spots get the seat, but if i fold I am now vulnerable again.

At this point I KNOW he wouldn't have pushed soley on a flush draw, and my preflop raise essentially eliminates a 6. So the two hands I am looking at that would beat me is AA and 66. After weighing the options I... grimace... called leaving me with 600 left. Is this a proper call in this format, I know I basically had him pegged knowing he would NEED one of those 2 hands otherwise he had AQ,AJ,KK,QQ and I had him beat and in bad shape.

I took the stance that I was GUARANTEED to win if I take this pot and if not I can always play in another sat, but how often can you guarantee a seat? He flipped AdQd and the turn and river brought no help and I went on to win.

Is this seriously flawed in this format? If so what is my major malfunction? Thanks all.

adanthar
10-05-2004, 07:02 PM
Wow, tough hand.

Given the stack sizes PF, this may be a first for me but I would at least strongly consider folding or completing. I don't care about the chips on the table nearly enough to worry about what happens if he calls a raise (and I can't exactly call a big reraise, either.)

The flop: I think you can make a case for a CR. There are only two hands that could be ahead of you on this flop unless he's the type to call a speculative hand trying to trap. If he raises you after you make a big bet, you have a very tough decision to make; if you CR him, all worse hands will fold...which is just fine for you, because you don't need the rest of his chips here and a 15-20% chance of being outdrawn is still too much.

If you don't checkraise, though, I think you have to grit your teeth and call this.

Jurollo
10-05-2004, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the response. Believe me I agonized about this hand, I think check raising it would have made me fold as he would have pushed in. He was pushing a lot if it was checked to him so I can say that would be likely.