PDA

View Full Version : How do you play these big blind hands?

Billy Baroo
10-05-2004, 11:32 AM

Billy Baroo
10-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Here's how I play these hands. I'd be interested in hearing how other people feel these hands should be played... as well as what people think of my reasoning for playing these hands the way I do

#1) 3 passive players limp, button raises, sb folds, I have J3s in BB

I call. There is little to no chance of a limp raise with passive players in the pot. I’m getting better than 9:1 from the pot when I have an 8.1:1 chance of flopping a flush draw… I think these are the important factors in the decision, and vastly outweigh other considerations, namely position.

Also, it’s great for my image if I get to show-down my hand. A lot of players will assume I’m a magoo when I turn over my “rags,” and they’ll pay me off later in the game and be less likely to try to bluff me.

#2) 4 players limp, I have KQs in BB

I raise. I’ve got a hand that plays well multi-way, and I likely have the highest cards as well. Again, I think these factors greatly outweigh my poor position on the hand.

#3) MP open raises, SB calls, I have AT in BB.

I fold. With no information about my opponents I fear being dominated by a better Ace. If I had some info I could see a call being correct under the right circumstances, but with no info I could hit my hand and end up losing a lot of money.

#4) 5 players limp, I have 65s in BB.

I raise. I’m getting 5: 1 on my raise, so the odds of my hitting the flop must be greater than 16.67% for a raise to show immediate profit. I have a 10.94% chance of flopping a flush draw, a 9.35% chance of flopping a straight draw (actually, there is a 10.5% chance of flopping a straight draw, but some of those come with 2 of my suit and are therefore already counted). I also have a 9.15% chance of flopping a gutshot with a backdoor flush, and a 12.06% chance of flopping a pair with a backdoor flush draw. I’d have odds to chase with any of these hands had I not raised, so I’m in a +EV situation whenever I get one of these flops. IMO this is an easy raise because when you add up your chances of hitting one of these favorable flops it comes out to way more than 16.67%.

There is also an added benefit to raising because it makes the pot larger, and therefore other players will be more likely to chase with inferior draws that I’ll crush when I make my hand. Also, a third benefit to raising is that a lot of players will again think I’m a magoo when I show-down my hand, as they won’t understand why it makes sense to sometimes raise with 6 high preflop.

#5) 7 players limp, I have AQ in BB.

I check. Of the 5 hands this is the one I am least sure of. I check in this spot to keep from making the pot humungous. If I hit my hand I try for a flop check/raise. If I don’t I fold (unless I flop a draw that I have odds to chase.)

ITWASSOOOOTED
10-05-2004, 07:18 PM
I have 2 comments, Billy.

The 56s hand; Peronally i like this hand in a large multiway pot , but only in late position. for all of the reasons you already mentioned. And in late position i would likely raise it occasionally also with enough players in. However in the BB i would just check most of the time becaue of the bad postition and the fact that i am not really counting the flush as a hand i want to make. I'm really hoping to hit trips or the st8, and maybe get action from a weak ace drawing to it. having said all that I do not see anything wrong with the way you would play the hand or your reasoning.

One other question, in hand # 1 are you saying that this is a standard play, for this situation? Or an occasional one?

Every other hand i would play the same way.

Billy Baroo
10-05-2004, 08:40 PM
I agree that it's better to hit the straight than the flush, because it is harder for my opponents to read the hand. However, I have no problem with flopping a flush draw and I especially don't have a problem with hitting my flush when I do flop a draw. I'm guessing that your concern about a flush is that someone else might have a bigger flush. When this happens your preflop raise loses an extra small bet. When you do hit your hand though, the raise gains at least 5 extra small bets. Your made flush draw will be good far more times than it isn't, so those extra 5 bets you gain are worth a lot more than the one bet you lose on the rare occasions when you make your hand and it is no good.

For hand #1 this is a standard play for me with passive limpers. With agressive limpers, I'd be much more inlcined to muck my hand for fear of a limp/raise. I don't really mind my bad position here. If I flop a draw, great... I have correct odds to chase regardless of my position. If I don't, I have an easy fold whether I'm in EP or LP.

mosta
10-05-2004, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
#4) 5 players limp, I have 65s in BB.

...the pot larger, and therefore other players will be more likely to chase with inferior draws that I’ll crush when

[/ QUOTE ]

"inferior draws" what like 24s?

bobbyi
10-05-2004, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I’m getting better than 9:1 from the pot when I have an 8.1:1 chance of flopping a flush draw

[/ QUOTE ]
So what? That in no way makes this profitable call. Consider the following hand:

UTG limps and the SB calls. I check in the BB with J /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. The flop is A /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB check, I check, UTG bets and SB calls.

Would it be correct for me to say "I call because I'm getting 5:1 and I have a 4:1 chance of turning a flush draw"? I don't think so. Drawing to a draw is not a good situation.

Billy Baroo
10-05-2004, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"inferior draws" what like 24s?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, like overcards.