PDA

View Full Version : Modifying S&M's short handed rules for NL

12-01-2001, 07:27 PM
In HFAP, S&M suggest that you should play approximately half your starting hands in limit HE, if you are heads up. I'm curious as to how these starting hand requirements change for exactly the same game, but heads up.

For example, 2 nights ago I was playing heads up no limit, blinds of $0.50 and $1.00, stack sizes of approximately $20 each. My opponent was a friend of mine, playing fairly loose and very aggressive, and probably correctly. I'm used to a full table, so I was probably playing too tight.

So, what kinds of starting hands would you open and raise with? And a common situation for me, say after an innoculous flop you hold A high only, out of position.. How do you play?

12-01-2001, 07:28 PM
My question is about playing short handed NL, in case it wasn't clear from the post.

12-02-2001, 05:36 AM
Your hand selection heads up depends in large part to the accuracy of your image of yourself. If you are capable of good reads and can lay down close, but second-best hands, then you can play a huge range of cards. However, be honest here. If you have Kings, and when you're heads up you can't believe he hit that ace, and you're going to throw your chips in anyhow... you're probably not going to be a player who can play Q 9 too well, on a flop of Q 10 2.

12-02-2001, 04:55 PM
I don't think playing top pair heads up is that hard. It is a big hand. You are almost never going to fold it. His question about what to do with ace high is a little more interesting.

There is some science to heads up play, but against tough opponents "feel" and varying your game to negate their "feel" is much more important.

12-02-2001, 09:45 PM
I think I would RARELY fold top pair heads up. To me, it seems that if you often fold top pair heads up, an aggressive opponent will run you over.

The main thing I think that dominates is that we're short stacked compared to the blinds. I think that loose play is very important, the question is just how loose. Top pair is a monster if the pot is 10% of your stack.