PDA

View Full Version : Minraise on turn vs. AA - Party $100 NL

JrJordan
10-05-2004, 01:03 AM
Sigh... seems like I'm getting played back at way too often. The only possible thing to be worried about here would be a set. Villain has a VPIP of around 30 and PFR of 5. Most PPer's though would c/r the turn instead of the flop. Ugh, what to do???

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed)

UTG ($99.5)
UTG+1 ($101.4)
MP1 ($99.25)
MP2 ($81)
Hero ($120.05)
CO ($100)
Button ($227.43)
SB ($94.45)
BB ($174.94)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB posts a blind of $1.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $2, MP1 calls $2, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $9</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB (poster) folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls $7, MP1 calls $7.

Flop: ($30) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $40</font>, MP1 folds, Hero...

JrJordan
10-05-2004, 10:03 AM
Bump

Wayfare
10-05-2004, 10:28 AM
I would probably stop and go here. I would call the $20 and see what he did on the turn. Especially if the flush card or a card that would give you a straight redraw came, I would be very agressive.

I don't think most players checkraise a set. Maybe this one does, but we should take off a card to find out.

jslag
10-05-2004, 10:41 AM
If you would call an all-in from the opponent on the turn, then the answer is that you should get all the money in on the flop.

So many players will make this move with 99/TT/JJ or even worse. At this level, with the stack sizes as they are, I'm pushing on the flop after I'm min-raised. If he has a set, I say 'nh' and wait for more opportunities.

If you simply call his bet on the flop, I can almost guarantee you he will push on the turn. He might think you have AK or another hand drawing to overcards or a flush.

So, I say push all-in after you're min-raised. You have a bit of fold-equity this way if he was bluffing, but had clean outs to beat you.

If you're going to fold, fold on the flop.

Wayfare
10-05-2004, 10:44 AM
"You have a bit of fold-equity this way if he was bluffing"

And you want to get him to fold when bluffing?

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

"If you call this bet I almost guarantee he will push the turn."

Since we aren't going away from this hand just yet, and there is a good possibility that he doesn't have us beat, isn't it a very good thing that a cold call on the flop will make him push the turn?

I do not understand the line of reasoning from the above poster at all.

JrJordan
10-05-2004, 02:37 PM
Glad we have the same reasoning Wayfare. I called the minraise on the flop and a rag Q came on the turn. I checked, he pushed all in and I called. He flips over 88 for the flopped top set and I'm rebuying.
I really can't think of another way to place this other than fold to the minraise, which just seems too damn weak-tight for the Party tables. If he had 99 or TT, I would've taken his stack with the check/call approach, so not too much more I could've done. On to the next one...

rerazor
10-05-2004, 02:46 PM
This is as obvious as it gets on PP that you've lost the AA battle. You raised big preflop and then bet hard on the flop, and there's still another guy in the hand when he min raises you. With that flush draw on board that's exactly how I would play a flopped set. An easy fold imo, even on Party Poker.

Wayfare
10-05-2004, 02:59 PM
You running poorly Jr? Seems like lots of sets catching vs. your overpairs recently /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Wayfare
10-05-2004, 03:00 PM
I might have folded to the push, but folding to the min raise on the flop is a horrible play on the party games I usually play.

JrJordan
10-05-2004, 03:19 PM
Afriad so. Down about 8 buy ins from 2 weeks ago. I think just a baf combination of made sets vs. overpairs and me really not getting paid off with my sets or other monsters. I may need to bump down to the $50's for a bit to get my confidence back up. I have no problem with the bankroll for it, just sucks to try and get it all back. All in due time...

JrJordan
10-05-2004, 03:23 PM
I don't think you can fold to the all in once you call the minraise. I'd probably make a decision on the flop if I want to back my stack. If I do, I'd check/call til I'm all in. If not, I'd probably fold to the minraise on the flop instead of calling and folding on the turn. Just seems awful expensive to call that $20 for information, only to fold to the last 50. You have odds at that point to call IMO.