PDA

View Full Version : High stakes?????

12-01-2001, 05:53 PM
This topic may have been covered already, but...

It seems that the "High Stakes" forum is full of .25 and .50 pot limit on Ultimate Bet. Or posts that start "...the buy-in is $10 but everyone has $50 or $60..."

I think it is time for a separate High Stakes forum.

Comments???

12-01-2001, 06:51 PM
Because all these posts about low-stakes no-limit are cluttering up the healthy discussion of high-stakes limit hold'em?

natedogg

12-01-2001, 07:49 PM
When I click on high stakes that's what I expect to read. I know I see posts all the time that say things like "this really should have been posted on the internet forum..." Doesn't anyone else feel the same?

Possibly another forum could be opened, "Internet pot-limit/no-limit"??

12-01-2001, 09:36 PM
I wouldn't mind one for internet or home lower limit NL/PL games. I would hate for it to be called "internet anything" since we would tend to attract bizarre posts.

Ken Poklitar

12-01-2001, 10:08 PM
Since the concepts involved with pot limit and nolimit are similar irrespective of actual money at stake maybe a seperate pot-limit/no-limit forum could be set up. This would leave the high stakes forum for high stakes limit games only.

12-02-2001, 03:15 AM
In the last three months I have seen one post here about about high stakes limit hold'em.

This entire forum is taken up by discussion of the pot limit and no limit hands. There is just no NEED for a separate forum because nobody uses this forum for talking about limit poker. They are welcome to, of course, but the topic here is "High Stakes, *including* pot limit and no limit".

Not only that, but the internet forum is for talking about particular issues with playing online. It's not necessarily the place to discuss the nuances of a hand just because you played it on the internet. A no limit error is a no limit error. It doesn't matter if you lost $5 online or $25k at the Bellagio. You messed up.

If you tell people not to post a no limit topic/hand on this forum simply because the stakes are small, or because it was played online, there won't be any activity on this forum.

If you want to talk about how to adjust to a game without tells, or how to determine if a computerized pseudo random number generator is faulty, go to the internet forum. If you want to know how to play 88 under the gun in a loose aggressive no limit game with short stacks, this is the place.

I say don't fix it if it ain't broke. This forum works fine, and the participants like it.

natedogg

12-02-2001, 06:22 AM

12-02-2001, 07:31 AM
I think we should have a high stakes holdem (40-80+) and then a seperate no limit forum...

12-02-2001, 11:16 AM
start playing $40-80 and posting some of your hands. If you generate enough interest I might go along with you, until then I'm with nate on this.

12-02-2001, 01:08 PM
I think they should just change the name of this forum to PL/NL. That would cover most of the topics that are discussed here. As long as you guys don't think it matters if the blinds are .25/.50 or $25/$50, that's fine with me.

There are very few high limit players involved with this site, and those that are don't post much on this forum. If I want to post an 80-160 hand, I leave out the limit and post it on the medium stakes forum because I know the best players will read it there and respond.

12-02-2001, 01:57 PM

12-02-2001, 02:52 PM
I disagree, creating a high stakes limit only section will cause true high stakes no limit to be cluttered with the internet $.25-$.50. High limit structured has more in common with true no limit than internet no limit has in common with true no limit. So keep high stakes and no limit in a single forum and put internet games in a section by themselves.

CARDuerr

12-02-2001, 02:53 PM
I disagree, creating a high stakes limit only section will cause true high stakes no limit to be cluttered with the internet $.25-$.50. High limit structured has more in common with true no limit than internet no limit has in common with true no limit. So keep high stakes and no limit in a single forum and put internet games in a section by themselves.

CARDuerr

12-02-2001, 05:35 PM
i agree. i apologize if i don't have the thousands of dollars to play with in no-limit, since i'm just a college student, but i'm just as much into the game, limit or no-limit.

the way you play a no-limit hand shouldn't matter if it's for 50 bucks or 50,000. it's still no-limit holdem and calculating pot odds, implied odds, laydowns and etc are still the same.

there has been plenty of information i've read from you guys who play for hundred or thousands of dollars and i still apply them to my home-games for 50 or so bucks, and the concepts still work...

i like this format because it allows people like me who play for the game and not necessarily the money only to grow and learn from the best out there.

12-02-2001, 08:33 PM
on the forum strategy-poker-general theory

on the forum texas holdem

as well as this one, and perhaps others which I do not read---we see a somewhat large number of posts concerning internet

there is a forum for internet---why don't they just posat there????

12-02-2001, 09:31 PM
the internet forum involves mainly worrying about cheating on the internet and complaining ...jmho..gl

12-02-2001, 10:12 PM
I think that is a fine idea. I would certainly post a few more of the UB NL hands that I have seen or played. I kinda feel guilty posting too many of these hands under the current name.

Ken Poklitar

12-02-2001, 10:51 PM

12-03-2001, 02:00 AM
There are internet sites like UB where a big pot limit pot is $200. There are others like CCC where I've personally been involved in two pots of over $3000, and where pots of several hundred are routine.

I'd say that qualifies as high limit compared to most of the live games I see talked about here.

12-03-2001, 07:05 PM
I too have seen many pots on CCC well over 1000$, and many bets of hundreds of dollars on both sites- as many have said, the same concepts apply for smaller games, at least in theory. I can't remember the last time anyone posted about 400-800 or 40-80 for that matter, so I say keep the forum the way it is.

12-03-2001, 08:29 PM
should it be mostly about cheating, etc???? agree that what is there now is mostly crap--I usually scan it because of interest in what is said about different sites, and never cease to be amazed at what little "meat" is there----but what should it be???

12-03-2001, 08:36 PM
possibly it is just me, but the play with live people seems so much different from that on the net

that's what I was thinking about, not the amount of money

however, there is probably also difference between 25 cent bet an d 250 dollar bet...the element of fear can be a very big factor