PDA

View Full Version : River Play w/ Marginal Hand...

jordanx
10-04-2004, 11:37 PM
In your typical loose-passive to loose-aggressive small stakes game, when you are in early relative postion on the river with a marginal hand...

Say you have J /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif with the board:

K /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Assuming you've been playing aggressive and your 2-3 passive opponents have been calling the whole way.

You are first to act. Do you lead the river? Check-Call? Check-Fold?

SSH talks about this when you are in late position, mentions you should check it down and showdown free.

A passive player is as likely to be drawing or have a king, most of the time he will call either way.

This is a fairly common situation and normally I bet thinking first they have to call, then they have to win.

thirddan
10-04-2004, 11:52 PM
if you raised preflop and bet flop bet turn and two players had just called i would just bet the river also, most likely the pot is too big to fold if you check and one of them bets and because checking the river will "show weakness" and one of them might take a shot. you also have a relatively easy fold if you are raised...

BigEndian
10-04-2004, 11:59 PM
What page of SSH is this advice on? This is an easy river bet to loose passives, even three of them regardless of position. Sometimes you will be shown a K and even QQ if they're ultra-passive. But you more than make it up when called by players with worse because they happen with more frequency.

Now, I could maybe see the argument against tight passives. But for me to be worried, more than one would have to fit that category.

- Jim

jordanx
10-05-2004, 12:29 AM
pg. 194-195.

It's examples in the chapter all talk about late position. It mentions that you should not bet the river for value vs. tight players, but bet vs. loose players.

BigEndian
10-05-2004, 06:22 AM
I would have been stunned if SSH was going to say to not bet the above scenario. It's easy to misapply principles, one reason why posting hands it so valuable.

- Jim