PDA

View Full Version : where do you save the reserve portion of your bankroll?

DrewOnTilt
10-04-2004, 11:13 PM
Over the past year I've turned $300 into just over $10k through a combination of poker and bonus whoring. $10k would be enough for a nice middle limit game, but I'm not confident enough in my game to move up past $2-$4 online or $4-$8 live. That leaves me with about $7k just sitting in NeTeller, earning interest for them and not for me.

Does anyone know if it is possible to link something other than a checking account to NeTeller? I'd like to put that money into some type of interest-bearing account. I was thinking a money market account - does anyone else do something different?

astroglide
10-04-2004, 11:17 PM
paypal has a money market acct and a 2% cashback debit card. no neteller direct link, but you could use your bank as a middleman until you decide what you want to do.

scrub
10-04-2004, 11:19 PM
You can get a savings account linked to your checking at most banks and transfer between them online.

The interest is pretty minimal, though.

Money market accounts tend to have relatively high minimum balances and still not pay a lot of interest (I talked to someone at Bank of America last week who quoted around 2% for a liquid money market with substantially more than 7k in it).

If you really don't want to move up in limits, throw it into an index fund or something--it's way too much of a roll for 2/4 and interest rates are still so low that you're not going to be happy with your return from any sort of bank account...

scrub

Bukem_
10-05-2004, 08:55 AM
http://home.ingdirect.com/

This seems like a good idea to me, I wonder if anyone else has experience with it. 2.2% on savings, no minimums, and you link it to your checking account, which I'm assuming is linked to your neteller or other account anyways.

Still fairly convenient, and 2.2% better than nothing.

namknils
10-05-2004, 09:53 AM
I do have a couple savings accounts at ING Direct, they're great. They pay a lot more than the banks are offering, and I'm always online anyway (they have no actual B&M branches, which is why they pay higher interest). It is very easy and conveinent. You can set up automatic transfers either to or from your checking and you can open basically as many diferent savings accounts as you want, no minimums, no fees. Also, any time I've had to call their support for any questions they were very helpful.

If anyone wants to "bonus whore" ING send me a PM, they have refer a friend offers and I could send you an email invite where we would each get a free $25 or $50 or something. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Warik
10-05-2004, 10:10 AM
$2/$4 online, you say? Why do you need a 2,500BB bankroll? Take the $7,000 out of Neteller and put it in your bank account, an investment, or just spend it. Enjoy your winnings.

eric5148
10-05-2004, 10:46 AM
Wow, that looks pretty sweet. A lot better than the .000001 interest I'd get at my B&M bank.

B00T
10-05-2004, 11:23 AM
I also use ING. I have that hooked up to NT. If I need money I withdraw from ING to NT. Otherwise the balance collects the 2%. Very good and keeps it all online.

If you call they will give you their routing # so you can just go straight from ING to NT.

You dont need a checking an ING and NT. Just go right from ING to NT.

GuyOnTilt
10-05-2004, 11:33 AM
Call up Empire. I'm earning 10% on my balance up to $10k there.

GoT

astroglide
10-05-2004, 11:51 AM

O_O

i thought that was cancelled, i'll give it a shot

sprmario
10-05-2004, 12:01 PM
I really find that hard to believe. 10% is an insanely high % right now. I did a quick search and you'd be hard pressed to find junk bonds yeilding 10% for a maturity less than 6 years out.

Quercus
10-05-2004, 12:06 PM
How do you hook ING up to NT?

namknils
10-05-2004, 02:52 PM
BOOT mentioned calling up ING and asking for their routing number. Every bank has its own individual routing number, so I'm guessing if you contact Neteller and give them the routing number and your account number at ING they will link them for you.

I don't have this done yet, but I'm going to try to set it up tonight.

sprmario
10-05-2004, 03:33 PM
ING has their routing information online when you login. Look for the link w/ the direct deposit form. The form will include your account number, their routing number and the account type. i forget what info neteller needs to link, but that should be everything needed.

bicyclekick
10-05-2004, 03:48 PM
If you or anyone else gets the routing number would you please post it here?

tahnks.

sprmario
10-05-2004, 03:53 PM
The routing number is on their website, just click on the direct deposit form.

The number is 031176110

namknils
10-05-2004, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you or anyone else gets the routing number would you please post it here?

tahnks.

[/ QUOTE ]

ING Direct's routing number: 031176110

surfdoc
10-05-2004, 04:06 PM
I also find this amazingly hard to believe. If it does work for you Astro, or anyone else, please let me know. I will open up an account for everyone in my family and drop in 10k. 10% is pretty sweet these days.

sprmario
10-05-2004, 04:13 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. 10k is at 10% is way way too high given that a typical liquid investment is paying around 1.5 to 2.5% yield. I'd drop 10k in the account just for investment purposes.

[ QUOTE ]
I also find this amazingly hard to believe. If it does work for you Astro, or anyone else, please let me know. I will open up an account for everyone in my family and drop in 10k. 10% is pretty sweet these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

AncientPC
10-05-2004, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Need more info, please! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

J.A.Sucker
10-05-2004, 04:25 PM
The 10% deal requires a certain number of hands per month. Otherwise, you don't get it. I used to get this at Party, but it got cancelled a few months ago. I don't know if Empire does this or not; I need to check it out.

GuyOnTilt
10-05-2004, 06:33 PM
I also find this amazingly hard to believe. If it does work for you Astro, or anyone else, please let me know.

I guess I don't count. Understandable since I'm notorious for lying a lot on these boards...

GoT

sprmario
10-05-2004, 06:52 PM
Did he hurt your feelings? hehe... J.A. explains it above. They require a certain number of hands played. Given that condition its' not even a small rakeback to them. It's just not plausible that they would just offer an insane interest rate for just carrying a large balance.

[ QUOTE ]
I also find this amazingly hard to believe. If it does work for you Astro, or anyone else, please let me know.

I guess I don't count. Understandable since I'm notorious for lying a lot on these boards...

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

thrillhouse7
10-05-2004, 07:41 PM
How many hands?

surfdoc
10-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Did not mean to offend you GOT. You count. Big cyber hug shot out to you. I only have 10k due to info I have gained from excellent posters like you.

Okay, now that the ass kissing is out of the way, what are the specifics of your deal? How many hands per month? Is this still an option? Give up your contact person please. PM would be fine.

DrewOnTilt
10-05-2004, 11:11 PM
Thanks Bukem. That's actually a good suggestion. Unfortunately I work for an ING competitor, and setting up an account there would be like a Coke employee drinking Pepsi in the break room /images/graemlins/grin.gif I could probably hide it, but I'd rather not take that small risk of a big loss.

I'd never even thought of looking in my own company's savings product portfolio, since I work in the insurance division. I'll check it out and post any relevant info if I find it.

eric5148
10-06-2004, 01:29 PM
I emailed Empire about this:

Dear Eric,

Thank you for contacting us.

We would like to inform you that we did have a promotion where we gave bonus to players on their
account balance.

However, we do not offer such a promotion now and we regret to inform you that we will not be able
to give any bonus as such.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Care
Department at any time. We are here 24/7 to assist you via email.

Thank you for choosing us as your online gaming site!

Ramachandra
Poker Customer Care

Guess not. /images/graemlins/frown.gif