PDA

View Full Version : Second trip to Foxwoods

sweetjazz
10-04-2004, 06:06 PM
After a successful trip to Foxwoods this summer, I had a chance for my second trip on Saturday. Got seated around 9:45, won my first pot after 12:30. Yeah, bad times to start with. First hand, I get 85 in the BB. Bunch of limpers, I check. Flop is 866, two diamonds. I check and fold. I think this is right. My hand would have been good, but two often I am way behind here, drawing to two outs. Second hand I get 7c5c in the small blind. Bunch of limpers until it gets to the button who raises. I fold. Two clubs hit the board on the flop, and a third on the turn. Button had JcTc, so I saved a lot on that hand. Funny thing is I would have completed if he didn't raise there.

Then I went dry for the next ~3 hours, getting only one good preflop hand, AK, which didn't do squat. I lost about $100 at the $4/$8, over half of which I think was just blinds. I limped a few times, but didn't catch a thing. I got back to near even with a few small pots, then hit my biggest hand of the day. I get 8d7d in the big blind. Lots of limpers, a raise, and I call. Flop is KdJd9d. I bet out, a few callers. Turn is the Td, giving me the straight flush. I bet out, loose passive chaser #1 calls, loose passive chaser #2 raises. I think for a bit, but I figure he's willing to raise with just the Ad, so I reluctantly call. Loosey #1 comes to life and raises, loosey #2 reraises. Now I know I'm beat, and reluctantly muck my cards. But not before I ask the dealer if there's any kind of bad beat jackpot. He just looks at me puzzled for a second, then tells me no. End of the hand loosey #1 shows pocket queens with the Qd, while loosey #2 shows the Ad.

Things went better in the afternoon. Some tougher players sat down. There were 6 other tight preflop players with me. One guy saw 100% of flops, and the other two saw about 90%. Good times. My only two pocket pairs above 10s came in back to back hands. I made it 3 bets to go preflop with pocket kings on the button. Six callers and a lost big blind for a $76 pot (minus $4 rake) so far. My kings hold up, and I bet each round, getting 6 callers the first two rounds and 2 callers at the end. End result is a $160ish pot. As I am piling up my chips, action of the next hand comes to me. I peek down and have 2 jacks. I raise it up, 4 callers. Flop is AQJ, two diamonds. I bet when it's checked to me, and two loose chasers call. Turn is a low diamond. I bet, two calls. River is a K (not diamonds). Checked to me, I bet, two calls. I lose to a T from one of the looseys, who I guess didn't raise because he feared a flush. Hey, made me life simpler as I didn't have to decide whether to muck to a reraise. All in all, table conditions were good, despite the fair number of solid players. I slowly won some more small pots against the chasers. I left at around 6:00, up $147 for the day. I definitely was helped from my previous reading of 2+2 posts.

Ghazban
10-04-2004, 06:12 PM
I was there all day Saturday playing the 1/2 no-limit game. It was even juicier than usual and I left up ~$600. Fossilman was there (not playing... at least, not at my table) and half my table was too busy gawking at him (oooh, he's standing and talking to another guy! How exciting!) to realize that their chips kept ending up in my stack.

regisd
10-04-2004, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I get 8d7d in the big blind. Lots of limpers, a raise, and I call. Flop is KdJd9d. I bet out, a few callers. Turn is the Td, giving me the straight flush. I bet out, loose passive chaser #1 calls, loose passive chaser #2 raises. I think for a bit, but I figure he's willing to raise with just the Ad, so I reluctantly call. Loosey #1 comes to life and raises, loosey #2 reraises. Now I know I'm beat, and reluctantly muck my cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

why would you be sure you were beat, here?

for only one card in the deck that can beat you, i'd think it would be worth it to try calling two bets with that pot.

sweetjazz
10-04-2004, 07:37 PM
I heard from a friend who was there that some people were doing things like open-raising to $30 in the $1/$2 no-limit game. I don't have much no-limit experience, but somehow I think I could make a profit on such a game.

sweetjazz
10-04-2004, 07:45 PM
I think it's an opponent dependant decision. The loosey #1 was very passive -- he was the one who just called after catching the straight on the river in my hand where I flopped a set of jacks. I don't remember seeing him raising once on the river without the nuts or darn close to it. The other guy was also pretty passive, though he would raise with less than the nuts (e.g. with trips). I actually contemplated folding to his initial turn raise, but I realized he might be overplaying the Ad (plus a slight chance he was overplaying a single low diamond, though he'd probably just call there).

The pot was still pretty small ~$90 after I had called the first turn bet. I was going to have to invest another $24 at least, and there's no way my hand is good, given the way the two opponents who raised played.

Against some players I would reluctantly call, figuring I am probably beat but there's enough in the pot to justify calling. In this case, I'm almost certainly beat, and I was afraid that one had the Qd, one had the Ad, and the guy with the Ad was too clueless to realize he could be beat. That would mean I'd have to call up to $32 on the river to find out I am beat.

I agree that it would be a mistake facing a raise from just a single player. I was saved by the fact that I got raised by both the Qd and the Ad. The guy with the Ad was confused how he lost the pot at the end. He apparently never saw the straight flush possibility that was staring him right in the face.

Ghazban
10-04-2004, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I heard from a friend who was there that some people were doing things like open-raising to $30 in the $1/$2 no-limit game. I don't have much no-limit experience, but somehow I think I could make a profit on such a game.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a guy at the other end of my table doing exactly that. Most of the time everyone would fold and he'd get the blinds plus any limped money. Then he got all pissy when somebody called, flopped a set of jacks, and busted his AQo when he pushed all-in on the flop (even funnier is that the flop didn't have an ace or queen on it!) It was an excellent game overall, particularly in that, by the time I'd built a decent stack (~$300), the table was limping a lot and I could see a lot of flops, then bust people who overplayed TPTK-type hands in an unraised multiway pot. The $100 buyin plus the proliferation of preflop raises often turns that game into a 2 betting round game (preflop and flop) after which somebody is all-in-- still beatable fairly easily but it was nice to get some play on the turn and river near the end of the session.

regisd
10-04-2004, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's an opponent dependant decision.

(reasoning snipped)

[/ QUOTE ]

very true. and given that, and how much it would cost to see it, i can see laying that down. i had thought the pot was bigger somehow from your initial description.

[ QUOTE ]
The guy with the Ad was confused how he lost the pot at the end. He apparently never saw the straight flush possibility that was staring him right in the face.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh.

sfer
10-05-2004, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I get 8d7d in the big blind. Lots of limpers, a raise, and I call. Flop is KdJd9d. I bet out, a few callers. Turn is the Td, giving me the straight flush. I bet out, loose passive chaser #1 calls, loose passive chaser #2 raises. I think for a bit, but I figure he's willing to raise with just the Ad, so I reluctantly call. Loosey #1 comes to life and raises, loosey #2 reraises. Now I know I'm beat, and reluctantly muck my cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't fold this.