PDA

View Full Version : General question regarding sb completion.

rachelwxm
10-04-2004, 05:30 PM
This is directly related to SNG games. Since it was not mentioned in the GUIDE, I find it puzzling. Let’s say there are N limpers, you are at sb position, what type of hands do u want to complete? My general style is

For 10/15 blinds, I would complete with any two. I have seen time and time again people fold in this case, am I too loose here?

For other early levels (<level4) more than 5 people, I would complete if I have Ax, Kx (x>6) QJ, QT, JT, any pair, any suited connectors regardless of N. If I am first in, I would min raise some of them like Ax or pair etc. What do you think?

Of course, bubble play does not belong here.

Any expert has any opinions? I know I need to use pokertracker to analyze this, but I could use some shortcut as well. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

ps, I have noticed that since the completion of early 3 rounds needs 45/800 or 5%, it could easily add another 1 or 2% ROI for me.

chill888
10-04-2004, 05:38 PM
Personally,

I am listening for good answers as I believe one of my "leaks" is playing too FEW hands.

MrFeelNothin
10-04-2004, 05:49 PM
I play far fewer hands than that, partly because I dont like playing hands in SNGs out of position when I have so few chips relative to the BB, and it is easy to get pushed out. I may be way off though, looking forward to replies.

codewarrior
10-04-2004, 06:33 PM
In the early levels, I've begun completeing with suited connectors, small pairs, and things equivalent to KJo, etc. It has made a tremendous difference.

Marcotte
10-04-2004, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In the early levels, I've begun completeing with suited connectors, small pairs, and things equivalent to KJo, etc. It has made a tremendous difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good or bad? (I assume good, right?)

I only play on Poker Room, where the blinds start at 10-20, so completing my first sb is only .6% of my stack. That said, sometimes I fold really bad hands, or if there is only one or two raisers/callers.

I've often read that good players will see a lot of flops (in a ring game). I think this strategy pertains to SNGs, but to a much smaller extent. If you are the best player at the table (or top 3), then you should be able to profitably play more hands that are marginal . This of course is very dangerous and shouldn't be done without good odds (pot or implied). I limp with all but the lowest suited conns and 1-gappers at the early levels. KJo I'm more leery of because its so easy to make a second best hand. The suited (semi) connectors and small pairs are easier to get away from.

codewarrior
10-04-2004, 07:56 PM
Good. I went through a 2 month streak of getting no cards, followed by being tight/weak like you would not believe. Through some coaching by a fellow 2+2'r reading my hand histories (he knows who he is, and thanks) and reading a lot of posts here, I plugged (read: have begun to plug) at least three major leaks in my game - two of which I never understood were leaks instead of strengths.

Completing the SB forces you to give a little gamble - and you have to give gamble to get it in return when you want it.

Bremen
10-04-2004, 08:32 PM
If its unraised with even one limper I tend to complete. According the PT at the 10/15 level the SB is my most profitable position. Heck 32o is even profitable! (only held it once, but made enough to justify it) My sample is only 70 tourneys so far though so I don't want to jump to conclusions.

NegativeEV
10-04-2004, 08:42 PM
If you don't mind sharing I'm interested in the three leaks you've worked on. Particularly the ones you saw as strengths- seems like a good learning opportunity.

morgan180
10-04-2004, 08:54 PM
disclaimer: i play party 10+1s

One frustrating trend that I've noticed however when trying to just complete in the SB with a marginal hand is the propensity of the BB to min-raise.

Two questions:

1. if you play most "marginal hands" -- weak aces, little broadways (suited and non) and suited connectors, one-gappers, etc. which do you decide to continue with and call the min raise?

(I find myself folding in the SB - because when I complete I feel I get min-raised a large percentage of the time (need to look at PT for exact) and don't want to invest another 15 chips (at party) out of position with a hand i wouldn't have played unless i was in a blind in the first place)

2. is it worth min-raising out of the small blind with the above hands to 30 to either get those in the BB with the check/fold button on out or keep them honest and from raising?

looking forward to input because i seem to just be folding away my SB on a regular basis - especially at the early levels.

for me the extra five chips are more valuable when i can get everything in later.

just my opinions...

codewarrior
10-04-2004, 09:06 PM
#1, not "gambling" pf in the SB by completing with such as 78s, JKo, etc.

#2, being "cute" with a flopped 2 pair (or equivalent "current nuts" hand) by betting the pot when it isn't heads up, instead of pushing in and putting them to a decision. <- thanks to my coach for this.

#3 Playing the HU endgame like a complete panty-waist <- again, it took someone looking over my hand histories to point out that instead of being clever, I was leaving a ton of free chips on the table.

Hope this helps. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

(And if you wanted me to give you the coveted "doughnut puncher" prize, you'll have to post about catching elevators or raping 12 year olds, or words with lots of Q's and X's in them... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

My name is codewarrior, and I approved this drivel. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Bremen
10-04-2004, 09:50 PM
I've only just begun myself. But I will try and answer...

[ QUOTE ]
1. if you play most "marginal hands" -- weak aces, little broadways (suited and non) and suited connectors, one-gappers, etc. which do you decide to continue with and call the min raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I said I complete with anything so I will throw out the horrible stuff. However as long as there are some limpers who call the minraise you probably have sufficient odds to call. So I'm stuck calling it :0(

[ QUOTE ]
2. is it worth min-raising out of the small blind with the above hands to 30 to either get those in the BB with the check/fold button on out or keep them honest and from raising?

[/ QUOTE ]
Never thought of it myself. But I have yet to see any of the better posters here advocate minraising :0) This also opens up a reraise from a limper. Do you really want to risk a minreraise?