PDA

View Full Version : The French contribution to America: Five billion Euro Dollars

The once and future king
10-04-2004, 03:40 PM
One cliche that I get tired of reading on these pages is comments by xenophobic amercians saying things like what how dare the french not support us in the UN when we have stoped them from speaking german on two occasions.

It crossed my mind that well maybe there wouldnt even be a USA if it wernt for the french. I had no idea about there actual contribution to the USA in its war against the Brits.

Anyway this website seems to summarise it nicely.

what the frogs did for the yanks. (http://xenophongroup.com/mcjoynt/fr-contr.htm)

adios
10-04-2004, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One cliche that I get tired of reading on these pages is comments by xenophobic amercians saying things like what how dare the french not support us in the UN when we have stoped them from speaking german on two occasions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read that other places but not on this site as I recall but possibly. I think you have an axe to grind with xenophobic americans and not necessarily posters on this forum.

El Barto
10-04-2004, 03:46 PM
Do you know how little 5 Billion Euros is to a large prosperous country like France?

Very Little.

Just my 2 cents (the personal equivalent to 5 Billion Euros to France)

wacki
10-04-2004, 03:52 PM
I've talked about this before. And I have said the French have bailed us out once before. The matter is a little more complicated that just staunch loyalty like many history books make them out to be. Benjamin Franklin, the man who was father of philadelphia in more ways than one, got along very well with the French. It's actually a very humorous annecdote, and I will post more later, i've got work to do!

Agghhhh!!!! 2+2 is so addictive, it's going to destroy me.

ThaSaltCracka
10-04-2004, 04:44 PM
Do you think you just uncovered something? BTW, did you know the Statue of Liberty was a gift from France?

Go away with your stupid xenophobia crap.

SinCityGuy
10-04-2004, 04:57 PM
nm

cardcounter0
10-04-2004, 09:52 PM
Still counting ...

cardcounter0
10-04-2004, 09:56 PM
some very sweet contracts and a few hookers for Brother Neil.

adios
10-05-2004, 01:18 AM
And if there should have been a competitive bidding process instead of a sole source effort who would have been the likely bidders?

adios
10-05-2004, 01:20 AM
So nice.

wacki
10-05-2004, 01:46 AM
Ok, I'm back on the French subject. There are books out that discuss this to some extent. I haven't found anything online that really goes into detail, but Time has a nice watered down version of the story. In short Benjamin Franklin was witty, charming, and a sex fiend. In France, he became a man of all show, and no substance, and he fit right in. The French loved him. He was labelled as the father of Philadelphia in America, and there are many historians that say his "charm" played a part in saving America during our fight for independence. If I find that book, I will post the ISBN, it's really good reading. It's kind of pathetic, but funny. I still can't believe that a mans ability to "charm" France played a vital role in creating this country. There are so many jokes I could make right now, but I will abstain. Still, we should be thankful.

A much watered down version. It's the individual, person on person, interactions that are ..... stunning.

http://www.time.com/time/2003/franklin/bffrance.html

"He stands in stark contrast to his sanctimonious and chauvinistic and mercantile countrymen, a model of what the French like most in their Americans: a skeptical, subtle faux naif with a sense of humor and a taste for culture and a deep appreciation for the supremacy of France."

The once and future king
10-05-2004, 04:26 AM
Actualy the "stoped them speaking german on two occasions" line is a direct lift from this forum.

There was a thread in which several posters expressed this sentiment.

The once and future king
10-05-2004, 04:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you know how little 5 Billion Euros is to a large prosperous country like France?

Very Little.

Just my 2 cents (the personal equivalent to 5 Billion Euros to France)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just ignorant.

The once and future king
10-05-2004, 04:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you think you just uncovered something? BTW, did you know the Statue of Liberty was a gift from France?

Go away with your stupid xenophobia crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I uncovered something for some of your countrymen yes.

In a country with such a short history as the USA I thought such bonds would last longer and have more resonance. However from what I have read in this forum most septics seem to have either forgoten this contribution of France or are completely ignorant of it.

The once and future king
10-05-2004, 04:35 AM
My favourite line from the link.

"Thanks to Louis XVI's foreign diplomacy, Britain did not succeed, for once, entring into any alliance."

Reminiscent of the scenes at the UN prior to the invasion.

wacki
10-05-2004, 04:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My favourite line from the link.

"Thanks to Louis XVI's foreign diplomacy, Britain did not succeed, for once, entring into any alliance."

Reminiscent of the scenes at the UN prior to the invasion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really wonder if the French culture predisposes them to always want to cut the knees out from under the big dog on campus. They have a long history of causing trouble like this through dirty politics.

Does France have small man syndrome?

Just a thought.

wacki
10-05-2004, 04:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
However from what I have read in this forum most septics seem to have either forgoten this contribution of France or are completely ignorant of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe they just remember how the French have treated us after we helped them out in WWI and WWII. Or they are just bitter about the ten year long oily love affair France had with Iraq.

ThaSaltCracka
10-05-2004, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Just so you know, they teach this stuff in middle school and in high school. All you did was enlighten yourself, but there is nothing wrong with that.

[ QUOTE ]
In a country with such a short history as the USA I thought such bonds would last longer and have more resonance.

[/ QUOTE ] ummmm...... WWI and WWII.

[ QUOTE ]
However from what I have read in this forum most septics seem to have either forgoten this contribution of France or are completely ignorant of it.

[/ QUOTE ] No.... they helped us, we helped them twice, I don't think people on here, or America in general are ignorant to any of this.

wacki
10-05-2004, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Just so you know, they teach this stuff in middle school and in high school. All you did was enlighten yourself, but there is nothing wrong with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good one, I forgot about that. This is both in middle school and highschool history in Indiana. I can't vouche for other states, but it sounds like its the same where your at too.

ThaSaltCracka
10-05-2004, 01:19 PM
In WA, they specifically teach U.S. history in grades 7 and 11. I can remember with certainty the lesson about the French Navy coming to help the U.S. defeat Cornwallis at Yorktown. In fact the teacher always made an effort to point out that without the French, we may not have won the war or our independence. But also, do not forget that the French Revolution was inspired in part by the American Revolution, and in fact their constituation is based upon ours.

Okay enough of the history lesson.

wacki
10-05-2004, 01:43 PM
Wow, ThaSaltCracka, I am impressed!

ThaSaltCracka
10-05-2004, 01:48 PM
I have always enjoyed history of any kind. Somehow I absorb it better than any other subject.

jcx
10-05-2004, 01:52 PM
The Western world owes much to Francophiles. Without men like Charles Martel it is a distinct possibly we would all be praying to Allah today. And even though the French helped a fledgling rebellion more out of a desire to give England a black eye than the love of freedom, it is certainly appreciated no matter the French motivation. I guess the average American just wonders what happened to these Frenchmen?

10-05-2004, 11:56 PM
I agree, I've been lurking here for some time and have found the various jokes about France to be rather distasteful.