PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate NL Hand

11-22-2001, 02:02 AM
Playing the .10-.25 NL game on Ultimate.

I limp in middle position with 54s. There are 7 players in the pot. The flop comes 8d5d5s.

Checked to me. I bet $1.75 Only the button calls. I have not seen anything particular of this player.

Turn is Th. I bet $4.00. Button calls.

River is 7d. What is my play and have I done anything wrong to this point?

Ken Poklitar

11-22-2001, 02:10 AM
I checked. He bet $5. There was roughly $13 in the pot. I folded.

Although there is some chance he is bluffing I can't imagine that I am ahead anymore. He either has a better 5, a flush or a straight. I am sure 80% of the ultimate players would call.

The only thing I question about my play of the hand is the initial call with 54s in middle position. The combination of no kicker and no position really hurt what I could do.

Any other comments are welcome,

Ken Poklitar

11-22-2001, 06:23 AM
Personally, I would never call with this hand in a NL situation until you are convinced you are an expert player and can lay down these hands in an instant when you are probably beaten. In a limit game, it costs proportionally much less and a bad call on the end isn't as costly. Here you can lose your whole stack. That being said, the button is calling you with SOMETHING, and his willingness to call your big turn bet is not a good sign. He could have a diamond draw, but that is player dependant...have u seen him call big bets with a draw headsup? Your flop play is fine, as is your turn play (IF you are willing to fold to a big raise). On the river you have almost forced yourself to bet...if you check, as many would do, you have no clue what to do if he pushes all in. I would bet in the $5 range and fold to a sizeable raise (a flush or bigger 5 beats you, as does a bigger full slowplayed).

Jeff (JMO)

11-22-2001, 09:19 PM
Did you stop and think that he might have flopped a full house (eights full of 5's) and was simply check calling you all the way to the river. I would never play 45 in a nolimit game, especially in your position. Its a trouble hand that can get you into a lot of bad situation. I would stay away from this hand.

I hope i helped

11-26-2001, 01:00 PM
Yeah I tend to agree that 54s is muck material in the future. Maybe on the button /images/smile.gif

Although I agree that by checking I induce a bluff what can he be calling with on the turn that can't beat me once the river card is shown.

Ken Poklitar

11-26-2001, 01:03 PM
Yeah it is possible that he flopped a full house. I agree that 54s in mid-position is not good. Lesson learned. You just have to see the passivity in these games to understand why I would even think of playing it.

Ken Poklitar