PDA

View Full Version : 1-2 Borg NL

Monkeyslacks
10-04-2004, 02:50 PM
I'm a limit player and my friend in this hand isn't much of a player at all. Nonetheless, we found ourselves having a lot of fun and making some decent money in the Borgata 1-2 game last Friday. The following hand came up and we were both unsure of what the best line was.

UTG is a loose older man who plays at least 75% of his hands but only raises with decent cards. A few hands earlier I had seen him smoothcall a flop of 6,7,8 with 9,10 and put in a raise on the turn. He makes it $10 to go. My buddy makes it $30 with JJ. A new player to the table calls from the big blind. The read on him is that he is very aggressive but not an idiot. He's shown himself pretty loose preflop and has a propensity for moving all in if he feels he's got the best hand postflop. Old guy calls. All stack sizes are roughly $700-900.

3 to the flop of 10,J,Q - suits unimportant. New guy bets out $40, Old guy calls, Buddy calls time and thinks for a few minutes and then calls. Turn is a purple 27. New guy bets out $50, Old guy calls, Buddy calls. River is a king. New guy checks, old guy bets $100, all fold.

I'm not sure whether raising the flop or the turn is best here, but it would seem a raise is highly appropriate at some point. What say you forum?

Monkeyslacks
10-04-2004, 07:59 PM
Old guy had AQs and New guy said he had two pair on the flop.

Tom22
10-04-2004, 10:16 PM
I would make a big raise post-flop (raise to ~$150). The pot around this point is about $170, large enough then you would like win it it now. With a board like 10, J, Q, there are too many opened end straight possibilities. In most cases, you can take the pot down here but in the rare chances that someone has an AK for a straight (910 is not likely because of the preflop raise), you can still pair the board for a boat to win.