PDA

View Full Version : NL hand how much to bet?

11-21-2001, 01:49 AM
Ultimatebet 25c/50c. Average stack size is about $70, i have $92.

Cutoff seat with Ad9d. 3 limp i also limp, button folds, both blinds are in for unraised pot. Flop AcTdQd. Big blind bets out for $2 2 call, i raise $2 (criticise all you want), and Big blind plus other 2 call. $11 in the pot.

Turn is Js. All check to me, i decide to check, as this looks for all money like a trap with anyone holding K sitting on the nuts.

River the perfect Kd. Broadway straight on the board, but i have the stone cold nut flush. Big blind bets out for $10 and both limpers call. Should i move allin? I figure to get at least one caller, but by raising about $25 i may get all to call. Who knows all may call the allin, and i have a $360 pot.

I personally am in favour of moving allin, and i did, but would love to hear peoples thoughts.

11-21-2001, 04:12 AM
Cutoff seat with Ad9d. 3 limp i also limp, button folds, both blinds are in for unraised pot. Flop AcTdQd. Big blind bets out for $2 2 call, i raise $2 (criticise all you want), and Big blind plus other 2 call. $11 in the pot.

I think you counted the pot wrong. 3 limpers plus you plus the blinds is 6 players in for .50 each. 3 bucks in the pot on the flop. After 3 people put in $2, and you raise $2, and they call, that's $16 for a total of $19 in the pot.

Anyway, by the time you are sitting in last position with the nuts on the river, and someone has bet $10 into you with TWO callers you should first stop everything and give thanks to god or vishnu or allah or whoever. Wow. This is a no limit wet dream.

First of all, a VERY wise check on the turn. You clearly do not have the best hand and you clearly are going to be called. Many players make the mistake of betting when checked to. It's not always the right move, even when you have a hand with potential like yours.

Now, the real question is how much to bet. There's $49 in the pot, and you've got about $85 behind you, and you've got THREE possible ATMs.

In your favor, somebody clearly has a flush, AND somebody clearly has a ten. The problem with going all-in for so much here is that if the players have ANY kind of skill to speak of, it will be obvious you have the nuts and they can fold a K high flush.

I think what you really want is for a K or Q high flush to overplay his hand. I like the $25 raise because you are likely to get two callers: A crappy flush and a moron with a ten. If you get excessive action from a worse flush, even better. A Queen or King high flush may decide you have a ten and push in if you only raise $25. If you go all-in, anyone who calls is in pure bluff-catching mode. Have you been bluffing a lot lately?

If they are the kind of players who cannot fold a straight when there is a flush on the board, I favor betting big here. But otherwise, try to instigate action from a worse flush and at least sell the nuts for a reasonable price. You might even get called in two places, which makes your EV roughly the same as going all in.

natedogg

11-21-2001, 04:46 AM
Just a note Natedogg. The final board read AcKdQdJsTd. Straight on the table. Noone needs a T in their hand.

11-21-2001, 09:04 AM
"Cutoff seat with Ad9d. 3 limp i also limp, button folds, both blinds are in for unraised pot. Flop AcTdQd. Big blind bets out for $2 2 call, i raise $2 (criticise all you want), and Big blind plus other 2 call. $11 in the pot."

(Should say $19 in the pot)

Why did you raise $2 here? I'm not criticising, I'm new to big bet poker.

There is $9 in the pot when it gets to you here. I would have raised the pot. You think this is too much? Were you trying to build a pot and thought this was the most they would call? Where you trying to show just enough strength to get the free card?

What happened after you moved in on the river?

PG

11-21-2001, 02:11 PM
On the flop i was trying for a free card, or at least to build a nice pot. If i put in a pot size raise, i can't call if reraised, so i'll let my overly passive opponents who may have flopped the nuts to just call with their weak hands or their powerhouses, whatever it is they may have.

Anyway, the big blind called for his whole stack (about $65 more), and the first caller mysteriously lost his connection, and the last guy folded (probably not wanting to incur the abuse that the allin player received). I reported this to ultimatebet and they agree it looked bad, but the connection was lost. This player will be under heavy scrutiny, if his connection drops again.