PDA

View Full Version : Great Day for M's Fans!!

ThaSaltCracka
10-04-2004, 01:33 PM
Melvin has been fired!!! 1st round is on me!!!

Toro
10-04-2004, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Melvin has been fired!!! 1st round is on me!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh good. Now the Red Sox can get him after Francoma screws up the playoffs this year.

ThaSaltCracka
10-04-2004, 01:55 PM
no, Jimy Williams is still available

nolanfan34
10-04-2004, 02:04 PM
Melvin was the wrong manager for the wrong team at the wrong time. This version of the M's needed someone who could light a fire under their butt, as they don't have anyone in the clubhouse who really fills that role.

I just don't know who they could possibly get now to do that though. Please, please, don't let Larry Bowa anywhere near this team. I'm at a loss for good candidates, but I hope they take some time to find a good one.

ThaSaltCracka
10-04-2004, 02:22 PM
give the AAA manager a shot. He already managed half the team anyways.

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

wayabvpar
10-04-2004, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no, Jimy Williams is still available

[/ QUOTE ]

The M's hired him a few weeks ago to do some scouting. I hope it wasn't a prelude to hiring him as a manager. /shudder

Melvin is not to blame for this team, but you can't fire Bret Boone, Jamie Moyer, and everyone else who sucked this year. Bavasi and ownership tried to get one more year out of a bunch of aging veterans (while adding in MORE aging veterans in Spezio and Aurilia), and unsurprisingly it didn't work out.

They need a big bat (Delgado or Beltran would be fabulous), and some sort of 3rd baseman.

nolanfan34
10-04-2004, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He already managed half the team anyways.

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's the criteria, then the AA manager should be considered too.

Bavasi is stumbling through a press conference on Fox Sports right now...

Schaefer
10-04-2004, 04:37 PM
Yeah, it's tough to manage a team when everyone has the worst years of their careers, with the exception of Ichiro and Ibanez. But losing 99 games is unacceptable and it's clear that someone had to take the blame. I also agree with the "someone to light a fire under their butt" comment. Is there any question why Lou got a standing ovation on Jay Buhner night earlier this year?

If the M's could pull together the money for Beltran, which is highly doubtful, I think they'd be better off going for Adrian Beltre. He posted decent numbers this year and is a leader in the clubhouse. Bump Winn to LF, Jeremy Reed in center and move Ibanez to 1B. If Adrian Beltre came to the M's I'd cream myself.

Schaefer

jagoff
10-04-2004, 04:46 PM
I opened this up expecting to see Harold Reynolds coming out of retirement to join the team next year! Boy was I wrong!

ThaSaltCracka
10-04-2004, 04:55 PM
Beltre would be awesome!!

nolanfan34
10-04-2004, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Beltre would be awesome!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. 3B I think should be their #1 priority. Guys like Dobbs and Leone are nice, but we need a power hitting 3B, and there will be two on the market.

If the M's miss out on Beltre, they probably should take a risk on Troy Glaus if the price is right. Beltre will probably set the market. But Glaus should be available, given that the Angels have Dallas McPherson waiting in the wings at some point.

Knowing the M's though, they'll probably lose out on Beltre and Glaus, miss signing Beltran because they won't go a mil or two higher, and end up just signing Joe Randa and Geoff Jenkins because they're "good clubhouse guys". Yes, I'm bitter in advance.

As a Cards fan I'm torn a bit, because I'd like to see the M's make a run at Edgar Renteria, but know that St. Louis needs to resign him too. Should be an interesting offseason.

ThaSaltCracka
10-04-2004, 05:41 PM
I don't think they need Beltran. Reed seems like a cheap star in the making, plus they can move Winn back over to LF, where he belongs. Beltre should be a priority, he is 24 I believe and would be a perfect fit for this team. Renteria would be a good pick, but I doubt it. Lopez is young and cheap so I don't see anyone else playing SS but him. I think keeping Ibanez at first would be a good decision. More playing time over there would probably help improve his D as well.

I don't think Glaus would be a good addition. He strikes me as a DH in the making, and an expensive one at that.

Remember, they have about 8 mill from the Sasaki debacle as well, so maybe they can go out and get someone like Pavano.

Dynasty
10-04-2004, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Delgado or Beltran would be fabulous

[/ QUOTE ]

Delgado is not a free agent. He has at least one more year left on his contract with Toronto and Delgado has made it clear that he isn't waiving his no-trade clause. Otherwise, Toronto would have dealt him already.

Beltran is going to be a $12+ million/year free agent. I'm not sure Seattle can compete in that market.

Clarkmeister
10-04-2004, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As a Cards fan I'm torn a bit, because I'd like to see the M's make a run at Edgar Renteria, but know that St. Louis needs to resign him too. Should be an interesting offseason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Edgar wants Tejada money. He isn't getting it from us, nor should he. I'll be shocked if he comes back. I'd only want him back at about $7mm per year, and there's no way he takes that. It's a shame, but I think he's long gone.

wayabvpar
10-04-2004, 06:04 PM
Holy crap, I forgot about Beltre! Unfortunately, I think he will command too high a price (as will Beltran and anyone else worth a damn). That would be ideal though- 3rd base is a festering hole of non-production; if they could plug Beltre in there for .300 30 100 it would go a long way toward repairing the offense.

[ QUOTE ]
Joe Randa

[/ QUOTE ]

That is exactly who we will end up with. He will be Scott Spezio II, and they will have to go out and find another 3rd baseman in 2007.

[ QUOTE ]
Delgado is not a free agent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could remember where I read it, but sometime about midseason I read a column that intimated that Delgado wouldn't mind coming to Seattle (and waiving his no trade clause in the process). It very well could have changed since I then.

ThaSaltCracka
10-04-2004, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That is exactly who we will end up with. He will be Scott Spezio II, and they will have to go out and find another 3rd baseman in 2007.

[/ QUOTE ] I think Randa might be better than Spiezio, but none the less he is exactly who we don't need.

[ QUOTE ]
I wish I could remember where I read it, but sometime about midseason I read a column that intimated that Delgado wouldn't mind coming to Seattle (and waiving his no trade clause in the process). It very well could have changed since I then.

[/ QUOTE ] The last series Seattle played up in Toronto, Edgar was campaigning to Delgado to come to Seattle. Apparently they are good friends and have been for some time. I don't think its unlikely that Delgado ends up in Seattle, but I am not sure if it is worth it.

nolanfan34
10-04-2004, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think its unlikely that Delgado ends up in Seattle, but I am not sure if it is worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know that someone like Delgado is the answer anyway, for the money he commands.

No, we blew our chance to get our future 1B these past few years. Many times I bet we could have swapped one of our pitching prospects away to either the Twins, or Rangers, for Justin Morneau or Travis Hafner when they were still in the minors.

The Freddy trade was a good one because they were able to snag Reed, who will be the CF for a while I think. But unfortunately they were just too stubborn the past few years to give up minor league pitching for future hitting stars. The M's system has no sluggers really who are on the brink of helping, if ever. I just feel like Safeco has such a stigma about being a non-homer park (although lefties like Rafael Palmeiro have no trouble jacking them out), that they only way we're going to get big sluggers without overpaying is to develop them ourselves.

Toro
10-04-2004, 06:25 PM
Nomars available. You Mariner fans interested in Nomar? He turned down 4 years at 15M, total of 60M twice from the Red Sox. I'm thinking he won't get half that.

ThaSaltCracka
10-04-2004, 06:41 PM
no, they don't need Nomar. Jose Lopez is supposedly our SS of the future.

JTG51
10-04-2004, 07:03 PM
They need a big bat (Delgado or Beltran would be fabulous), and some sort of 3rd baseman.

It'll be a big upset if Beltan ends up anywhere but the Yankees. There are a bunch of all star caliber third baseman available though. Troy Glaus, Adrian Beltre, Corey Koskie, and probably Mike Lowell.