PDA

View Full Version : AKo in a six-way capped pot

ElSapo
10-04-2004, 12:39 PM
Party Poker 2/4 (10 handed)
Hero has K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif and is CO

UTG raises, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, Hero 3-bets, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP3 caps, Hero calls, Button calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls

Flop(24 1/2 SB): K/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif

BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, MP3 bets, Hero raises, Button 3-bets, BB folds, UTG folds, MP1 calls, MP3 caps, Hero calls, Button calls, MP1 calls

Turn(20 1/4 BB): T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

MP1 checks, MP3 bets, **MP3 is all-in**, Hero calls, Button calls, MP1 calls

River(22 3/4 BB): K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

MP1 bets, Hero raises, Button calls, MP1 calls

Anyone play this differently? Especially on the flop where it appears someone may have a jack? And if anyone can guess what MP1 and the button had I'll be sincerely impressed.

J.R.
10-04-2004, 12:51 PM
Especially on the flop where it appears someone may have a jack?

The pot is huge and there are lots of draw. The bet into the preflop capper is not consistent with a J. The paired J is actually good since it makes it less likely that your opponents connected with the flop (although if they have a J its no fun for you). There is a good argument for waiting for the turn though, as your flop raise doesn't do much to fold any hands you want to fold (gutshots) and given the pair on the board, your kings up, if best, are less vulnerable as their are no 5 out draws to 2 pair or trips that are out there against you that would be there is there were no pair on the board.

I have no idea what they had but I'd be strongly inclied to raise the turn against an all-in player (if the button called prelfop 3 with a J so be it but I don't think the flop 3-bet is AQ and there are a number of draws the Button could have been pushing on the flop) and it be nice to confront MP1 with 2 big bets (or 1. whatever, depending on how much MP3 went all-in with).

ElSapo
10-04-2004, 01:42 PM
The all-in player did show a J, the other two showed pocket 99, for most curious river action.

ElSapo

J.R.
10-04-2004, 01:54 PM
What do you think of the flop raise v. wait until the turn? The flop bettor (MP3) was almost all-in, so it seems fairly likely he will bet the turn as well.

ElSapo
10-04-2004, 03:40 PM
I had two concerns here - trying to figure out if anyone had a jack, and charging draws. I can think of a whole lot of turn cards I wont like.

But on the other hand, I'm charging more by raising the turn - unless someone gets there on the turn, and I end up raising anyways.

That said, this is possibly a hand where you just have to show-down best. The pot is tremendous, and there has been a lot of cold-calling. At Party 2/4, cold-callers pre-flop very rarely fold their 2, 3 or 4 outers for 1, 2 or 3 bets. I can't protect the hand by getting anyone to fold, and I almost can't protect it by giving people incorrect odds, since on the turn other players will be getting about 10-1 or so.

I don't know to what extent trying to figure out if anyone had a better hand is compensating for the inability to protect the hand. What I mean is, are the bets I save when I get information by betting worth more than what I'd win here by waiting to raise the turn?

Waiting for the turn was probably best, in retrospect. But I find myself hesitant on the turn in hands like this, where I have a good-but-vulnerable hand. Instead I normally find myself jamming on the flop, trying to find a way to control the number of bets which go in on the turn. I'm not sure how much value this skittishness is costing me...

ElSapo

jluker7
10-04-2004, 03:44 PM
A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I think you played it well.