PDA

View Full Version : Favorite non great players

Non_Comformist
10-04-2004, 02:28 AM
I am watching Behind the Glory 1988 World series. I loved the Dodgers as a kid (Born in LA, Dad is superfan) amd followed that team from start to finish. Today ot os still one of the greatest moments of my life. Anways watching this I was reminded how the Dodgers did really have any historically great players. No Hall of Famers I think.

They did however have players who were capable of rising to greatness when needed.

Anyways my list of favorite players who were not considered great in the HOF sense

Kirk Gibson
Orel Hershisier
Steve Sax
Don Mattingly
Paul O'niel
David Cone
Tim Raines

Neil Stevens
10-04-2004, 02:30 AM
Hideo Nomo.

No-hitter in Denver. Woohoo!

daryn
10-04-2004, 02:35 AM
no hitter for the sox too, against baltimore i think.

Sooga
10-04-2004, 02:44 AM
Hell yea Rock Raines... that guy should be a hall of famer though, no doubt. My faves:

Brian Downing
Lenny Dykstra
Jay Buhner

Non_Comformist
10-04-2004, 02:50 AM
I can't believe I forgot Nails.

Michael Davis
10-04-2004, 03:11 AM
Ron Karkovice.

-Michael

Daliman
10-04-2004, 04:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ron Karkovice.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Reformed south sider, i see...

Michael Davis
10-04-2004, 04:34 AM
In truth, Karkovice was one of the worst players I can recall from my early childhood. He must have been a good defensive player or something, because he sure couldn't hit.

Others like Dan Pasqua and Ron Kittle were for unknown reasons crowd favorites. They were terrible.

Lance Johnson was an underrated centerfielder.

-Michael

Daliman
10-04-2004, 05:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In truth, Karkovice was one of the worst players I can recall from my early childhood. He must have been a good defensive player or something, because he sure couldn't hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes. Thus Ron "Can't Hit" Karkovice.
He WAS great defensively though, and started off spelling Pudge. I know I could look it up, but I'm guessing he was about a .220 lifetime batter.

Also had acne damage that would make Mark McGwire wince...

Viva Ivan Calderon!

Michael Davis
10-04-2004, 05:25 AM
Nice guess. .221.

-Michael

Schaefer
10-04-2004, 05:55 AM
Jay Buhner's a stud.
Edgar Martinez probably won't make the HOF. His numbers just aren't good enough. But still a great guy.
Jim Leyritz
Dan Gladden
Terry Pendelton
Dave Henderson
Mike Scoscia
The Nasty Boys
Ray Knight
Brett Butler
That's all for now.

Michael Davis
10-04-2004, 05:59 AM
Mitch Webster.

-Michael

M2d
10-04-2004, 10:45 AM
As an American, I have to say Rick Monday

jagoff
10-04-2004, 11:13 AM
Some that come to mind
Jack Morris
John Kruk
Joe Carter
Dave Henderson
Eric Davis
Andy Van Slyke
Jay Bell
Bret Saberhagen
Howard Johnson
Pete Incavaglia

swimfan
10-04-2004, 11:18 AM
Lenny Dykstra
John Kruk
Terry Mulholland
Milt Thompson
Juan Samuel

nolanfan34
10-04-2004, 11:18 AM
I'd have to go with three guys that I really liked as a kid when I became attached to the Cardinals.

Tommy Herr
Willie McGee
Vince Coleman

Herr especially, as I also played 2B on my little league team.

Clarkmeister
10-04-2004, 11:38 AM
Willie McGee is my favorite player of all time.

I agree about Tommy Herr, he was great because of his absolute disdain for all things related to the Mets and Cubs.

Always loved Ray Lankford too. A lone bright spot in the dark days that marked the end of the Busch ownership. I was thrilled to see him hit a HR yesterday in what was likely his last game ever, and almost certainly his last game as a Cardinal.

Also got to mention the Incredible Joaquin Man. Dude pitched more than 260 innings in 3 of 4 years between 82 and 85.

Toro
10-04-2004, 11:57 AM
Bernie Carbo

Carlton Fisk gets all the glory for that walk off homerun in the 6th game of the 75 WS but without Carbo's 2 clutch homeruns it would have been over long before they got to that.

M2d
10-04-2004, 12:01 PM
also,
Ron Cey
Steve Yeager
Mark Belanger
Fred Lynn
Bake McBride (loved the fro)
Enos Cabell
Rick Rhoden
Luis Tiant
and the list goes on...

nolanfan34
10-04-2004, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also got to mention the Incredible Joaquin Man. Dude pitched more than 260 innings in 3 of 4 years between 82 and 85.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I always liked John Tudor too, if only because I threw about as hard as he did.

And Lankford's comeback was a great story this year.

McGee was such a great hitter and basestealer. The fact he was another talent the Yankees let get away in the 80s made it even better that he was a Card.

Clark, I read a good book over the summer detailing the history of the Cardinals franchise. I'll try to track down the author's name, it's worth reading if you haven't checked it out before.

mikeyvegas
10-04-2004, 01:22 PM
When I was a kid, Vince Coleman was my favorite non-tiger. What ever happened to players stealing more than a 100 bases in a season? Damn long ball era.

mikeyvegas
10-04-2004, 01:24 PM
By far my favorite, and it's not even close...

http://rbichampion.com/gregs_rbi_site053005.jpg

J_V
10-04-2004, 01:25 PM
Ha. Tommy "the hitman" Herr. IMO, that's the ultimate "small ball" team ever assembled.

Uston
10-04-2004, 01:28 PM

But is he the ugliest player of all-time? If he's not he's certainly on the short list.

nolanfan34
10-04-2004, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
By far my favorite, and it's not even close...

http://rbichampion.com/gregs_rbi_site053005.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

My dad is a huge Tigers fan, born in Detroit, idolized Al Kaline, etc. So when the Tigers would come to town when I was a kid, we always went to games. Chet Lemon was great, I always liked him. Larry Herndon was a favorite too.

mikeyvegas
10-04-2004, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My dad is a huge Tigers fan, born in Detroit, idolized Al Kaline, etc. So when the Tigers would come to town when I was a kid, we always went to games. Chet Lemon was great, I always liked him. Larry Herndon was a favorite too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember you saying that before in another thread. The Tigers of the 80's were a great team to watch. Al Kaline and George Kell did the games on TV and Ernie Harwell worked the games on Radio. It was a good time to be a Tigers Fan.

Sweet Lou, Tram, Senoir Smoke, Milt, Gibby, Morris...

sfer
10-04-2004, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But is he the ugliest player of all-time? If he's not he's certainly on the short list.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't think of McGee as a man, but rather as a man-chicken, he's really not overly unattractive.

sfer
10-04-2004, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I always liked John Tudor too, if only because I threw about as hard as he did.

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved Tudor too, for the exact same reason. Didn't he have like a total shoulder replacement or something and he returned without any loss of velocity. Shoulder be damned, the high 70s are the high 70s, I guess.

sfer
10-04-2004, 03:06 PM
Len Dykstra was the man; my favorite growing up.

PhatTBoll
10-04-2004, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The old version of Kent Tekulve has got to be on this list as well.

Other notable good-but-not-greats:

Vance Law
Atlee Hammaker
Shawon Dunston
Tom Browning

CCass
10-04-2004, 03:45 PM
Someone already mentioned Ho Jo, and Jeff Blauser as well.

Will Clark and Keith Hernandez were also two of my favorites.

Uston
10-04-2004, 03:56 PM
Don't forget Otis Nixon and the aforementioned Ron Karkovice.

jagoff
10-04-2004, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The old version of Kent Tekulve has got to be on this list as well.

Other notable good-but-not-greats:

Vance Law
Atlee Hammaker
Shawon Dunston
Tom Browning

[/ QUOTE ]

Add Zane Smith to the list

mmbt0ne
10-04-2004, 04:29 PM
Otis Nixon for the catch against the Pirates, and the awesome poster I had.
Rafael Belliard because you'll never see a shortstop play that long and only hit 2 HR again.

Uston
10-04-2004, 04:37 PM
Add Zane Smith to the list

Man, this topic really merits it's own thread.

I'd also like to nominate Rich Garces.

doughhater
10-04-2004, 04:49 PM
Will Clark - Classic. Any guy whow can hit a homerun off of Nolan Ryan in his first major league at bat is a stud.

Andre Dawson - I'm a big Cubs fan /images/graemlins/frown.gif and I loved watching the Hawk play as I grew up.

nolanfan34
10-04-2004, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Will Clark - Classic. Any guy whow can hit a homerun off of Nolan Ryan in his first major league at bat is a stud.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will Clark sucks. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

OK, he was a Cardinal for a few months, so he's forgiven.

Clarkmeister
10-04-2004, 05:13 PM
"Someone already mentioned Ho Jo"

Oooooh, thanks for reminding me. Consider him added right near the top of my most hated list. Can't believe I almost forgot that a-hole.

nolanfan34
10-04-2004, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Someone already mentioned Ho Jo"

Oooooh, thanks for reminding me. Consider him added right near the top of my most hated list. Can't believe I almost forgot that a-hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't your list just be edited to include pretty much all former Mets? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

offTopic
10-04-2004, 09:17 PM
Will Clark
Jim Rice (though I think he should be in the HoF)

mmbt0ne
10-04-2004, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't it a grand slam too?

doughhater
10-04-2004, 09:33 PM
I'm not sure if it was a grand slam, but I do know that he told his father he was going to do it before the game. Or so the story goes...

Neil Stevens
10-04-2004, 09:39 PM
Good choice.

Jett Rink
10-04-2004, 10:24 PM
All time fave is without a doubt Rick Dempsey. Clutch hitter, called a great game and is one of the true funnymen of baseball.

Others I must mention are Mike Boddicker, Manny Trillo, Tug McGraw and Garth Iorg.