View Full Version : Blind defense question

Entity
10-04-2004, 01:33 AM
With an EP limper and a raise from the button, I should be LESS likely to defend, because A) the presence of an EP limper makes the raise more likely to be legitimate, and B) I'm in terrible position postflop, for situations when I and the EP limper check, and Button bets again (will EP checkraise, etc.).

Is that pretty much right? This isn't a hand where I'd love to defend to begin with, but this is the sort of situation I'm talking about.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif. Hero posts a blind of $0.5.
MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero (poster) folds, CO calls.

Flop: (5 SB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO caps</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB folds.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

MEbenhoe
10-04-2004, 01:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
With an EP limper and a raise from the button, I should be LESS likely to defend, because A) the presence of an EP limper makes the raise more likely to be legitimate, and B) I'm in terrible position postflop, for situations when I and the EP limper check, and Button bets again (will EP checkraise, etc.).

Is that pretty much right? This isn't a hand where I'd love to defend to begin with, but this is the sort of situation I'm talking about.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif. Hero posts a blind of $0.5.
MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero (poster) folds, CO calls.

Flop: (5 SB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO caps</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB folds.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I fold there, better question is why were you posting UTG?

Entity
10-04-2004, 02:02 AM
WTF? Bison's converter is screwy again. I was the BB.

I just want to make sure my thinking is right -- were the cards something marginal like 78s (or K7s), defense is still less likely to be a good idea due to the situation, right?

Rob

MEbenhoe
10-04-2004, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I just want to make sure my thinking is right -- were the cards something marginal like 78s (or K7s), defense is still less likely to be a good idea due to the situation, right?

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Rereading the hand, your intro doesnt seem to fit with the way the hand looks on the converter. In the intro you talk about a button raise and in the hand you get a SB raise? Because of this I'm not 100% sure what your question is.

Entity
10-04-2004, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Rereading the hand, your intro doesnt seem to fit with the way the hand looks on the converter. In the intro you talk about a button raise and in the hand you get a SB raise? Because of this I'm not 100% sure what your question is.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was the SB who raised in this instance, but my question was a general one.

The general idea behind my question still applies:

I should be less likely to defend because A) SB is aware of a limper, so he knows an outright steal won't work, and B) I'm trapped in between the two of them, and being trapped in-between two TAGs (one who may be planning a LRR or will raise the flop regardless) is a bad idea.

With that in mind, how good should my hand have to be before I can defend with it?

Rob

MEbenhoe
10-04-2004, 02:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The general idea behind my question still applies:

I should be less likely to defend because A) SB is aware of a limper, so he knows an outright steal won't work, and B) I'm trapped in between the two of them, and being trapped in-between two TAGs (one who may be planning a LRR or will raise the flop regardless) is a bad idea.

With that in mind, how good should my hand have to be before I can defend with it?

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I think you can call with suited connectors, Kxs, Axs, any pair, any suited broadway cards, and the stronger offsuit broadway cards. If you have strong postflop play you'll be able to make these hands payoff when you have the best hand and get away from them when you have the worst of it.