PDA

View Full Version : how to play AK!?

11-16-2001, 02:15 PM
say you play a full ring game and you raise from early pos. whit AK.

you get 1 caller and the flop comes whit 2-4-8 rainbow. you bet, he call, 9 on turn.

what do you do???

check-fold?

check-call?

bet?

its a simple question, but im not sure how to play the hand..

11-16-2001, 03:06 PM
Depending on the player, I might bet here. With an 89 on the board, that makes for good drawing possiblities. It is hard to get people to lay down top pair, so If you suspect he has it, I Check it. But for the most part I think I would bet the same amount on the turn or a little more than the bet on the flop. If he calls, Check and fold the river.

Sheck

11-16-2001, 09:30 PM
If you are playing against a passive calling station who will let you show down ace high from out of position, and is known to call the flop with overcards like KQ, you should probably bet the turn and check the river.

Against a tough tricky opponent, check-fold is clearly the answer. I generally cringe whenever anyone calls behind me and I've raised with AK. If they are even slightly tough I will usually check-fold the flop when I miss, although sometimes I fire on the flop to keep 'em guessing.

AK is one of those hands that generally has the same value regardless of position when you are playing limit, but it goes WAY down in value when playing no limit in early position.

natedogg