PDA

View Full Version : Flopping the full

11-15-2001, 11:10 PM
Ultimatebet 10c/25c blinds my stack 2nd biggest at $38. AQo in cutoff seat i decide to limp, raised 50c by the button (the only stack that has me covered) mid position limper calls and i call.

Flop is AhQcQh i check to preflop raiser, and unfortunately he also checks. Turn is a blank I bet half the pot, and am called by the big stack. River is Kh making a 3 fluh in hearts on the board. I bet the pot and much to my surprise big stack goes allin for about $25 more.

Results to follow.

What should i have done at each stage? Preflop should i have raised? (sometimes i do, sometimes i don't with that sort of hand). What about checking on the flop? Thoughts on the turn and river?

11-16-2001, 01:47 AM
I assume you called and were shown pocket aces. It makes perfect sense for him to play it like that. There is no other hand he could play this way; think about it, is he really pushing all in with a flush here, and I doubt he would raise with Qx. Your only hope is KQ, which is doubtful. Bite your lip and muck it; you have to wait for a better spot. I lik elimping btf in this game btw.

Jeff

11-16-2001, 02:31 AM
No, he had JhTh for the royal.

-MD

11-16-2001, 03:12 AM
I had previously seen this guy move allin with a flush and 2 pair on board, so there was no way i was throwing away.

KcKS for Kings full on the river.

11-16-2001, 04:14 AM
Two things; That bit of information about his moving into a dangerous board is extremely important as a lot of no limit is about playing the man. That could be the difference between calling and folding but I still lean heavily towards folding.

2nd Thing; If there is no way you would consider folding the river, why post the hand? That is really the only debatable play. Whether he rivered you or he had you the whole way, why would you call a huge bet in this spot on the end? It just seems like you have to be losing, you haven't committed much and should wait for a better spot. In limit, pay him off w/o thinking. But in NL, ur overall results will hinge on you making accurate assumptions in spots like these. Most players will not raise all-in into an AQQ board with a player who has been aggressive the whole way unless they are sure they can beat you. His river bets signifies you're doomed and I don't think you call the end here.

BTW, if AK is known as "walking home to Texas" in no-limit circles, what would you call AQ?

Jeff

11-16-2001, 04:31 AM
Two things; That bit of information about his moving into a dangerous board is extremely important as a lot of no limit is about playing the man. That could be the difference between calling and folding but I still lean heavily towards folding.

I agree 100% except for the part about folding. Since this guy has been known to move in with questionable hands, Mr. P's third nut hand is probably worth a call. It's close but calling was not a bad move. Folding is fine too of course, and against an unknown player or a known passive player, a fold is mandatory. But against a guy who can move-in with a flush when the board shows two-pair, a call is perfectly reasonable in this spot.

natedogg

11-16-2001, 10:53 AM
But against a guy who can move-in with a flush when the board shows two-pair, a call is perfectly reasonable in this spot.

i do things like that too. but i usually do them against small stacks where it is not that dangerous. who did he move in against?, there are always many tiny $5 and $10 stacks at ultimatebet.

11-16-2001, 10:57 AM
yes but since you saw him move in, it wsnt against you, therefore, was it when the only likely caller was some dinky $2 stack???

now his stack is really in jeopardy, and a half pot-sized bet screams big hand that wants a call, imho...

11-16-2001, 11:49 AM
If the two pair was 5's and 2's, maybe the all-in move was a good one if he read his opponents well. Withs kings and queens on board and him making the same move, I think you're right that Mr. P has a call here.

Jeff

11-16-2001, 04:44 PM
I can't rememeber the exact stack sizes when it was 2 pair on board, but it was something like moving in for a $5 pot, bet of $5 and he moves in for $17 more. Board was JhJd4d5s5d.

And Jeff, AK may be called "wlaking back to Houston", but this is mainly because of players overplaying the hand preflop, or putting a lot of chips in postflop, with no or little improvement. Top pair alone is not really significant improvement when a lot of money is at stake. But if you don't play AK and AQ, please enlighten me as to exactly what hands you do play. I suppose you only raise with AA and KK then?

11-16-2001, 09:49 PM
I totally agree with you. The situation is very important and that's part of really knowing your opponent. If it was a short stack situation (either him or his opponent), then you have to take that into account. Especially if you've noticed that he does play stacks well.

Another big reason to fold is simply that there are very few players on ultimatebet who will go all-in big without the nuts.

They might call but they won't move it in unless they have it. If you don't know the player, you can safely assume he has the nuts or close to it if he's moving all-in.

natedogg