PDA

View Full Version : Top set with 3 flush on flop

11-15-2001, 09:57 PM
Ultimatebet 50c/1 pot limit. I have QQ in 2nd position and raise the pot, i get 2 late position callers, and then the blind calls. Flop is QdJd4d. I bet the pot and am surpised to get 3 callers. Both late position players like to wait to raise on the turn when the pot is larger and people are more tied to their hand.

Turn is 8h. Blind checks. Should i bet the pot here? Both late position players and myself have fairly deep stacks ($200+).

Does anyone think i shouldn't have bet the pot on the flop?

11-16-2001, 02:51 AM
I would have bet the pot as well, hoping to get rid of any single-diamond holders. Also may make them think that you have the Ace of Diamonds, which would disguise your set if they want to battle with their pair/two pair/smaller set etc and also discourage their potential holding of a smaller diamond. Three callers of a pot-sized bet? Ouch. I think you're up against the Ace or King of diamonds, a solid queen, maybe a straight draw, or a smaller set. There is, of course, the chance that a made flush is out there. But there's only one way to find out- bet the Turn. If you check the turn than you'll find very little out (unless another bets and then there's a raise). A bet from one of these guys could just as easily be a hand that you're dominating as a hand that's dominating you. Of course, if you're bet gets raised, you're in a tough place. A straight, two pair, or a set probably won't think you've got the flush and will raise you thinking they're winning. You could likely fold with the winning hand. Basically, you're in a tough spot. It might be appropriate to check-call here. Though I would probably bet the pot again and hope no more diamonds fell.

11-16-2001, 08:36 AM
I bet the turn and thankfully wasn't raised, called in one spot, and then checked the river and won in a showdown.

I probably should have bet the river, but figured he either I was beat, or he had a draw, or a weak made hand that he was hoping to improve, and wouldn't have called anyway.

Turned out he had AdJc.

Just interested as to what people would do if they were raised in this situation. I'm pretty new to pot limit poker, and wondered what experienced campaigners would have done.

11-16-2001, 02:59 PM
Not a doubt in my mind that I am potting the turn. This hand is too big to fold, so you may as well push your chips in on a bet rather than a call later. The only usefulness to a check is hoping to snap off a bluff later. But, if another diamond comes, it all over baby.

11-19-2001, 04:14 PM
Russell - really? We've got four players seeing the pot for $3 (I guess) each. So our hero bets $12 when he flops top set, and gets three callers (!). Now the turn is essentially a blank, and there's $60 in the pot. He bets the pot and one opponent goes all-in for $200. What a miserable call. If he fills up on the river, there's no money to collect.

If I've got the singleton Ad and position, I'm going to make a move on that pot fairly frequently. Quoting Doyle, "I know where the nuts are" and nobody else does. Even a made king-high flush is going to have some pondering to do. And even if I am behind, I've got seven or nine or twelve outs (if my opponent is on KdQx).

What's wrong with checking? If it's bet, you can call with big implied odds. If it's bet and raised, you can fold. If it checks around and a non-diamond hits the river, you bet and collect.

I'm no pot-limit expert, but I think that's my preferred play.

Regards, Lee