PDA

View Full Version : 9-9 in UTG position at NL HE table

11-11-2001, 08:29 PM
As I've been losing a lot of money with this hand I try to catch some helps from you.

The game is no-limit hold'em with 5-10 blinds, minimum buy-in 250. Mediocre players perhaps one or two are decent ones.

First time I lose the pot after limping with those damned pocket nines, no preflop raises. (Flop was A-10-10...)

Second time I raise 30, got 4 callers and the flop contained 2 overcards, no flush draws possible; a late player bet the pot and I folded.

Third time I raised 60 first (I was one seat behind the UTG player), a player (very loose) raised 140 more, no callers, I called. Flop came with three babies, I bet all-in, he called without exitation showing A-K suited, 1 suit on the board. THe "magic turn card" was an ACe, no help on the river. I lost.

Now I ask you, what to do in early position when dealt a medium pair? Remember I'm talking about a easy table with poor players in.

Thanks for all suggestions,

Marco

11-11-2001, 10:06 PM
mix it up just as you did. with nines in no limit you either hit a set and try to bust someone or you get out if you see any real pressure that doesnt look like a bluff. with both the flops above you just fold and lose a little. on the last hand you got lucky you werent against a bigger pair but got in with the best hand and got unlucky.

most times just limp and fold if raised for any thing other than a small call without lots of callers. dont lose any more after the flop to someone that raised you unless you hit.

11-12-2001, 01:21 AM
Before reading Ray Zee's answer, I'm going to say that with any pair JJ or lower in early position, I tend to try to get in cheap and play it for a set or release on the flop. Your position is just too bad to play this hand to hand without improving.

natedogg

11-12-2001, 01:56 AM
QQ is really the turning point where you can play strongly, and have some real hopes of winning unimproved. JJ is probably the most difficult hand to play in no limit. 99 and TT i usually would only raise in late position, where i think i can win preflop, or by betting on the flop, raising only for the sake of varying my play. I certainly dont want to go to a showdown with 99, unless i hit my set.

11-12-2001, 03:45 AM
"Remember I'm talking about a easy table with poor players in."

What kind of poor players? If its the way too loose post flop type then I believe its a clear limp. The vast majority of your value comes from flopping a set against a good hand and letting them put their whole stack in. Same against playres that are too aggressive with mediocre holdings on the flop. If they are too tight then you can make an argument for coming in for a raise so you can steal the cheese on the flop. But thats far less profitable then getting the loosies to give you their stack. The normal stack sizes at the table also play a part in this. For example if you are going to raise and try to get a flop to steal on then both you and your opponent needs enough money for you to threaten them.

11-13-2001, 09:23 PM
nm