PDA

View Full Version : Being an Online Professional/Full Time College Student Week 2-3

Danny "DTM" Marx
10-03-2004, 09:02 PM
I have decided to partake in a David Ross like experiment. I am a sophomore at the University of Colorado at Boulder and have been playing online poker for a little over a year now from the micro limits to NL 200 and a little beyond. Because I have had to spend most of my bankroll I have always had to go back down to NL 25 and restart my bankroll many times. I deposited $500 into empire with a rake back deal and have decided not to cash out and make my bankroll grow and move up limits accordingly. The purpose is to see how successful a standard solid poker player can be at turning a small bankroll into a 5 digit figure and beyond roll in a relatively short period of time having a normal college life to attend to.

The week of September 8th-15th I earned $300 including my bonuses. Incase you missed last week (search The David Ross experience week 1); I decided to have another $500 bankroll at Full Tilt, effectively giving me two bankrolls. The Empire bankroll is the bankroll where I must have 20x the buy-in for NL ring games to enter the game. In the Full Tilt bankroll, I can sit at whatever table I feel is juicy within reason. After last week’s games, my week of settling down for my midterms and papers hit me in a flash. It was worse because I had missed so much class the two weeks before. I played some poker in between week 1 and week 2 reports, but not very much. I also decided to cash out of Zerorake for good unless the site gets bigger. Going into week 2, my bankrolls are as follows:

Empire: $685.61
Full Tilt: $814.60

Week 2: I decided to make a poker schedule for myself starting this week to see how that will affect my playing. I think it will be good for me. Half way through the week I decided I couldn’t really keep a schedule; at least not yet. Through a normal week of school I can, but not when I actually have to attend all my classes because of midterms or papers due. I’ll figure something out. This was an outstanding week for me in poker until the very end. I also signed up some people through my affiliate code so I will earn extra income through that. I decided to start an affiliate business so I will have to make a website and come up with some marketing ideas. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Day 1: Monday September 20th, 2004:
Afternoon: I turned in a paper in my history class on the origins of the Cold War. Afterwards I did some two tabling NL 200 at full tilt. Early on in one of the tables I had AK vs an AQ. The flop came Axx rainbow which was a very unthreatening board allowing me to take a lot of money from him. He had $120 and I got it all.

Later I had QQ in the BB. There were lots of limpers. A guy in late position mini-raises and I re-raise huge to $18. He calls and the flop comes 555 which is a very nice board. He has very little money left and I put him all in for his last $40 and he calls with… none other than A6? I win another $60.

A little later, I hold AA in EP and make a raise to 3.5xBB. There is one callers and the flop is rags. We both check and the turn comes another rag. I bet just under the size of the pot and he raises me. The only strait he could have had was with a 46 so I couldn’t put him on that. I was thinking he maybe had Ax suited with a pair or a mid pair. I was hoping I didn’t let him catch a set. Should I have put him on a set here and folded? His raise was 2.5x the size of my bet. I re-raised him all in for $80 more and he calls with A7 which is 2nd pair on the board.

I made a good read later in the day when I had 22 in MP. I limp on the loose/passive table and one guy in late position raises to 3.5xBB. I call and the flop is 983. I check, and he bets $9 which is close to the pot and I decide he has over cards. I raise him $40 which for him is all in and he folds. Was this too aggressive? It was about 1.5x the size of the pot that I bet.

Here was a tough hand for me. AhQh raise to 3.5xBB preflop, 3 callers. Flop is ThJh8d giving me royal flush draw and double gutshot strait draw. It checked all the way around. I was in 2nd to last position, should I have bet? Turn comes a low diamond. Checked around to last person who bets 15, one guy calls so I call. River is a heart, but pairing the 8 on board. Checked to me, I bet 30, one guy called, I won pot. How can I play this better? I usually slow play flops that give me a strait and a flush draw, but when the turn brings a blank and the opponent bets, it can put me in a tough situation.

I ended my session at $1125.30 in the full tilt account, the deck really hit me in the face and everyone was willing to go all in as long as they had top pair. This is a disadvantage to buying in for under the max buy in which I was able to take advantage of.

Lost $43 playing 3/6 limit for about 15 minutes which was a bad idea. I sat down thinking to play for a while, but the table was tighter than I expected so I left.

Night: There was a long ass fraternity meeting followed by a candlelight vigil for a student who died from alcohol poisoning in another frat. I didn’t have much time to play and afterwards I watched Monday Night Football Eagles v.s. Vikings. I will win my fantasy game unless Owens scores 22 points (6 Pts for a TD and 1 Pt for every 10 yards receiving).

Day2: Morning: Empire 3 table

I played about 140 hands before lunch and ended down about 50 cents. Here are some of the interesting hands. I’m trying the cool format, I’ll see how well it works.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed)

SB ($24.50)
BB ($42.15)
UTG ($81.70)
UTG+1 ($69.35)
MP1 ($9.80)
MP2 ($154.15)
MP3 ($26)
Hero ($32.50)
Button ($21.25)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls $0.50, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($2.75) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

These types of flops with these hands are always confusing of how to play them for me. Also what if the flop was 993?

Turn: ($2.75) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets $0.5</font>, UTG calls $0.50, MP3 calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50.

River: ($5.25) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets $5</font>, MP3 folds, Hero folds, Button folds, BB folds.

Final Pot: $10.25

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed)

Hero ($26.65)
CO ($28.40)
Button ($45.55)
SB ($19)
BB ($10)
UTG ($14.25)
UTG+1 ($37.20)
MP1 ($5.65)
MP2 ($39.15)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $0.50, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises to $1</font>, MP2 calls $1, Hero calls $1, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls $0.50, UTG+1 calls $0.50.

Flop: ($5.25) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $4.

Right now I’m a little worried, he called me really fast, and there isn’t any draws other than the flush draw out there.

Turn: ($13.25) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, Hero checks.

He thought about it for a real long time and than checked, I was convinced he caught the flush and decided to check/raise because I am an aggressive player. I checked.

River: ($13.25) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP2 bets $10</font>, Hero folds.

Was this a good fold?

Final Pot: $23.25

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (10 handed)

UTG+1 ($38.15)
UTG+2 ($33.11)
MP1 ($29.45)
MP2 ($17)
MP3 ($24.50)
CO ($24.05)
Button ($26.87)
Hero ($35.95)
BB ($23)
UTG ($16.07)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.50, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls $0.50, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($2) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets $1</font>, Button calls $1, Hero calls $1, BB folds.

These flops are some of the hardest to play in low limit games for me. How should I have played the hand? Every card after the flop made me want to stay more.

Turn: ($5) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets $7</font>, Hero calls $7, MP2 calls $7.

River: ($26) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets $8</font>, Hero calls $8, MP2 calls $8.

The K on the river allowed me to beat another person that had an 8. Of course if I knew the 3rd player would call, I would of known he had an 8 also meaning the other guy for sure had a Q.

Final Pot: $50

Afternoon: I made $33 in about 70 hands before class.

Night: I had the most insane night of my poker life. I won the biggest pot of my life. I have JJ in the SB. There is one limper and the button that plays over-aggressive and he raises to $20 in NL 400. He has about $130. I decide to make it $60. The limper raises the first raiser all in to 130 and he calls. I now figure that I am behind, but have really good odds to call the flop and the raiser has me covered. I call. The flop comes J88 giving me the practical nuts considering the pre-flop action. I check and my opponent who still has money bets $100, I raise to $200 and he goes all in. I put him on kings or aces and call. They turn over… … … … 77 from the guy with $130 and … … … … 33 from the other guy who had me covered. I win a $919 pot. Booyah!

I decided to party it up and got drunk/high afterwards and watched a movie with friends.

Day 3: Morning: Decided to switch it up to some limit at full tilt. Played a 3/6 and 5/10 game. The limit games at full tilt have been a lot tighter than the NL games unless a pro sits down at a limit game. I lost $120 in 5/10 and won $12 in 3/6. I decided not to play limit there anymore unless a pro sits down.

My roommate who is the coach for our pledge football team is sick today for our first practice so I told him I would do it for today. We ran some drills and the main goal was to find who our QB would be.

I played some more full tilt at night and lost about $50, but cleared my first $100 bonus at full tilt.

Day4: I had to do free agent pickups for fantasy football today for my roommate who is the commissioner, but sick. I won Seattle defense which was key for me because Buffalo has a bye week. I didn’t start poker until late in the day because I had to start my online homework program for Business Statistics. I have procrastinated long enough with this and I have a lot to do before the midterm on 10/08.

3 p.m. Lost big pot early QQ vs AA in NL 200 he only had 80 I lost it all. Is there anyway I could have folded with him having so little money and me playing it aggressively pre-flop? I was basically pot committed on the rag flop when he went all in for 40 more. He bets 9 pre-flop I raise to 35 he calls. Flop is Jxx. I check he goes all in for last 47 I call.

I also made my first really bad play today with ATs vs KK. I made a bad bluff on the flop which cost me some money.

I made a ton of money from the QQ vs AA guy later with AK vs A4 with K4x flop. More importantly, I played the hand incorrectly because I was afraid of him from before. He played it just like the ace hand so I only called pre-flop. It was a 6 max table and I only called the rest of his bets after the flop because I he played the hand just like the AA hand. I made $150.

I turned in homework for my roommate and than sat down at a really loose NL 400 table at full tilt. I lost about $100 on a hand where I flopped trip 4’s, but gave a free card for a flush.

I won most of the money back the next hand with Ace high flush.

The biggest thing I am working on right now with my aggressive style is to base my semi-bluffs not only on position, but how many people are left in the hand. I have lost a lot of money in the past by betting AK pre-flop, having a rag flop and semi-bluffing into 3-4 people. I have gotten a lot better at when to try and take the flop with over cards and that include raising bluffs against people I think are semi-bluffing with over cards on a rag flop.

I won a $270 pot by putting someone all in on the turn and he called on flush draw.

Later I’m in a hand with a bunch of limpers, I get JJ in late position, raise to 6x BB. There is one call. Flop is TT4, and she has about size of pot left so I go all in. She calls and has T8.

I decided to play a $4.40 tournament entry token satellite before my live game starts at the house. I couldn’t finish in time so my roommate finished for me and won. In the live game I won about $70 before everyone left. One of my friends who is crazy aggressive and loose call station on draws type of player wants to play me heads up in NL 100 so I do and win all of his money which was fun.

Day 5: I turned in my excel assignment for statistics and went back home when I got a call from my roommate last year who said he just had class with Freddy Deeb’s daughter. That’s pretty cool and hopefully she plays and I can invite her to my home game.

I was kind of tired and didn’t really play more in the afternoon. Just hung out and watched some movies with friends and than went to our BBQ that we were having. I watched my 15/30 limit affiliate player and took a nap.

Night: 2x NL 200

99 on button, someone raises to 7 I call, someone raises to 25 and the first raiser calls, and I should fold right? I did.

I saw some people telling other people how stupid they are and how they should play which made me so mad so I decided to get in an argument with them. I just don’t understand why you would tell the person you want to take money from why he should play better and not call all in with flush draws. You don’t yell at him the 2/3 of the time he doesn’t catch and gives you tons of money yet you call him a moron when he does catch? What the f*** some people’s problems?

Played some low stakes PL Hi/Lo Omaha after dinner to learn. People are terrible and I don’t even know how to play well. I tore it up. I cashed out at about $65 in PL 25. I decided comparatively the Omaha games are easier to beat than Hold’em if you are good at Omaha. The players are 10x worse. They don’t understand you can only play 2 cards from your hand and have NO IDEA how to tell the value of their hand. They are all Hold’em players who think top pair top is worth calling all in. I love it.

Late night: I played some 5/10 limit with Toto Leonidas, every time he raised I had a good hand and was on his left so I re-raised. I won 3 pots vs. him and won about $10 overall.

Day 6: Morning: I did 3x NL 25 tables at Empire and won about $5 in 150 hands.

Afternoon: I played a long heads up live game against one of the other good brothers in my house. We did $10 freeze out with 200 chips, 1/2 blinds and it was a very good game. It went back and forth a lot, but I got a really lucky hand which turned the favor towards me and I ended up winning after about 2 hours. I have won my last 9 live heads up games which is a nice little streak even though I got lucky today.

Saturday night: Did some drinking and watched some of our brothers do boxing in our dining room which was fun. Than went out to a friend from last year’s party.

Day 7: Football! My fantasy football team is KICKING ASS! The Bears made me sad however. They have too many injuries now and we are in a lot of trouble this year. I do love Lovie Smith though and can’t wait to see what he does for our team. At least we beat the Packers like he promised.

In the afternoon I sat down with Clonie Gowen at NL 200. She called me down on the river with 65 on a J54JT board $15 into a $22 pot when I was bluffing which kind of confused me.

Peyton Manning is going nuts! 5 TD’s and 300 yards in the first half. My fantasy opponent has him, I am having an insane week, but he can still catch me if Manning continues.

I got KK in late position. Someone in EP makes it $8 and I raise to $24. The flop comes AAJ, double check. The turn is a king. He bets, I call. River is a 4 and he goes all in, I call and win a $280 pot.

Time for midterm study.

Break for some Paul Wolfe NL 400.

I lost an incredibly disappointing hand where I wish I had continued to study and never played. I had KK in the BB. A MP player makes a big raise to $30 and I re-raise to $90. He calls. Flop comes KJ8 rainbow. I check and he goes all in. He turns over AA and the river brings an Ace which was really disappointing. It was a $500 pot.

Lost $350 this session, boo!

Late night: I won in Madden vs. Nate(my roommate) for the first time. He really hasn’t lost to anyone in the house yet and the win was really excited especially because I destroyed him.
Here is where I really wish I continued to just study instead of play poker. I lost another $500 pot in NL 400 with Howard Lederer and Paul Wolfe sitting with my king high flush vs Pauls ace high flush with a three flush on the board.

I had to fold and lost about $100 in a ginormous(I like making up words) pot. I had JJ vs 99 vs JT on a flop of 789 where I was the aggressor, but had to fold to a double re-raise.

Well, it was a terrible day where instead of winning $1500 for the week at full tilt, I only won a few hundred because of a few hands. Fall break starts on Thursday and our fraternity is going to Lake Powell in Utah on Wednesday night for the weekend which is our most fun trip. I decided to add week 2 into this because it will be more like 3 days of a little playing and Lake Powell.

Day 8: Made some decent money at Empire, about $40.

Day 9: I was debating whether or not to go to class. Little did I know I should have stayed home and continued watching Kill Bill 2. On the way to class I ate it hard on my bike. I sliced open my foot, hurt my foot bad, got lots of scratches, and ripped off some toe nails. I ended up spraining my foot, but spent a long time at the doctor and drank and got high when I got back so I didn’t play any poker.

Day 10-14: Left for Powell late at night and it was a great trip. The weather was real nice and I got a good tan. The bad part was my injury didn’t allow me to water ski or do good cliff jumping because the high heights would hurt it too much. I still got to party and enjoyed a great time outdoors and on the boats. When my foot got a little better, I climbed up a little mountain which felt good because the view on the top was insane.

Day 15: Fantasy football went terrible today. The bears also lost so it was a disappointing day. Played a little Party doing their reload bonus, but not much poker other than that. Just trying to get everything in order for the week. I heard today that a pledge at the same fraternity as the kid who died lost another pledge at the Oklahoma State chapter for the same reasoning which is a terrible thing. I can’t believe it happened just 2 weeks after they killed a different pledge. What part of forcing alcohol down people’s throat is dangerous don’t they understand?

Cashed out $500 from Full Tilt and the account stands at $601.30 after the cash out.
Empire account: $733.15

Danny "DTM" Marx
10-04-2004, 12:24 AM
BTW, do you think I am making these too long?

Mons
10-04-2004, 01:27 AM
Post questionable hands in the appropriate forum.

Other than that, enjoyable read. I too am a sophomore college student making ends meet through online poker.

Good luck!

Blarg
10-04-2004, 01:56 AM
Not really, but putting two weeks together at a time makes it longer. You might want to consider doing one week at a time. Lots of people have very short attention spans, but I enjoyed the post.

Danny "DTM" Marx
10-04-2004, 02:06 AM
Well some people have told me the hands makes the posts more interesting and know where I am at in my thinking. Should I make it two seperate sections?

Mons
10-04-2004, 02:24 AM
Well interesting hands are fine although you posted too many for my liking, Definitely take Blarg's suggestion.

Danny "DTM" Marx
10-04-2004, 02:16 PM
Fair enough, thanks for the comments.

LikesToLose
10-04-2004, 02:47 PM
Holy Crap that's long!! Between school, poker and this journal, when do you find time to try to buy beer, get drunk and get your knob polished?

Get your priorities straight and impress some college slut instead of a bunch of dicks on a message board.

Danny "DTM" Marx
10-04-2004, 08:51 PM
This takes about 10 minutes a day, [censored] where does time go? "Trying" to buy beer takes about 20 minutes including the drive.