PDA

View Full Version : Was this played wrong?

bostondave
10-03-2004, 08:27 PM
Hello everyone. This is my first time posting here after reading the boards for a long time. I had a home tournament last night, one hand of which was the subject of much debate afterwards. I'm just looking for some feedback about whether or not the SB misplayed the hand

Heads up at the end of the tournament, SB/Dealer has the BB covered about 4500-1500. Blinds are 200/400, and increasing every 15 minutes. SB calls the blind, and BB checks. Flop comes Q 7 3 rainbow, and BB moves all in. SB instantly calls and turns over AA, while BB hits top pair with Q6. Third queen hits on the river to crack the aces, momentum shifts, Big Stack winds up losing the tournament.

The essentials of the "debate" about the hand are:

Hand winner says "I'm not saying that you didn't get hosed being the favorite when all the chips went in, and getting cracked on the river. However, you should've raised preflop. We shouldn't have gotten to that point. The proper move was a preflop raise, you would've gotten the blinds, and we'd continue w/you in a dominant chip position."

Hand loser says "It was the right play. I had you beat when the chips went in, and you got lucky. I didn't get beat by the player, I got beat by the cards".

So what's the answer? What was the proper play for the guy in the SB? Did he do it right by setting a trap, and get hosed, or did he make a mistake by not raising preflop with the bullets? Thanks a ton in advance for your help!

codewarrior
10-03-2004, 08:32 PM
I love a check-raise all-in hand HU. Just bad luck on AA's part, IMHO.....

SmileyEH
10-03-2004, 08:43 PM
play is fine.

-SmileyEH

bostondave
10-03-2004, 08:45 PM
Wasn't a check-raise. Small stack was first to bet after the flop, and moved all-in immediately. Big stack just called.

wjmooner
10-03-2004, 09:37 PM
If you are playing heads up one great strategy is to trap the person for all of their chips. Limping with AA is great heads up. He got all the money in with the other guy drawing to 5 outs twice.

Suckouts happen. Good heads up play is not always, although it can be, bet bet bet with your big hands.

Chris