PDA

View Full Version : Does clicking an affiliate link "lock" you in with that affiliate?

teddyFBI
10-03-2004, 06:56 PM
A question about conflicting things that have been said here recently about affiliate links. If I were to follow an affiliate link to a particular poker site, does it place a cookie or any kind of “remembering device” on my computer so that any time I return to that site (even by just typing in the site name in the browser address bar, i.e. www.empirepoker.com (http://www.empirepoker.com)) it links me with that affiliate? If this were the case, of course, then just by clicking an affiliate link to a site that I haven’t yet signed up with, I would be forever linked to his affiliate account if I eventually downloaded the software and opened an account (unless I deleted the cookies on my computer first).

GrannyMae
10-03-2004, 07:16 PM
I would be forever linked to his affiliate account

no, only for that session or until you delete your cookies. you can click affiliate links all day and clear cookies all day and you are not locked into anything. it is the unsuspecting person that would fall prey to this. i.e. some newbie clicks on an affiliate link but does not download. he returns to the site 5 hours later and unless his cookies were cleared, the original affiliate will get credit.

SamJack
10-03-2004, 07:22 PM
Most of the affiliate links does not actually link to a different site that will place cookies on you computer. Most is simply a link to the pokersite (e.g. Empire, Party) with a variable attached to it that let the site know that you were referred by an affiliate. (e.g. www.xxxpoker.com/index.html?affiliateid=XXXXX) (http://www.xxxpoker.com/index.html?affiliateid=XXXXX))

In those cases, there will not be any cookies stored on your 'puter. You will not be 'locked-in' to that affiliate until you actually download and sign up with the site during the session.

SamJack.

SamJack
10-03-2004, 10:25 PM
Wow,

You know what is truly amazing. I made up that link
www.xxxpoker.com/index.html?affiliateid=XXXXX (http://www.xxxpoker.com/index.html?affiliateid=XXXXX) to make it as non-spam-like as possible.

I just clicked it and it took me to partypoker.

They've got all bases covered.

Go figure!

SamJack

GrannyMae
10-04-2004, 08:48 PM
In those cases, there will not be any cookies stored on your 'puter. You will not be 'locked-in' to that affiliate until you actually download and sign up with the site during the session.

this is absolutely incorrect.

i have been checking on this since i saw your post and recieved several confirmations since then.

here is the bottom line:

[ QUOTE ]
if someone has an Empire cookie on their comp and click on your link, it won't replace the existing cookie.

[/ QUOTE ]

so, as i stated above, one must clear their cookies or they will be tracked to the first person who's link was used.

JAque
10-04-2004, 09:28 PM
I almost sure the sign up offline code you enter manually when you create the account overides the link association but most of the time you do one not both.

JAque

GrannyMae
10-04-2004, 10:25 PM
I almost sure the sign up offline code you enter manually when you create the account overides the link association

this is probably dead on accurate JAque.
however, in the case of a banner that one might place on a site, there would be no mention of the sign-up code. when the player clicked on the banner it would redirect to the last affiliates cookie, regardless of the redirect URL addy on the banner. i guess this could be good and bad that there is no replacement, but people should know what the reality is.

i like it that for empire you can fly a banner that does NOT require a person to enter a code in order to get the $100. it makes it *much* easier to market.

for instance, this paradise banner i have here is an illustration of how much of a pain it is to try and fit a code on a tiny banner. but, if i did not put "Granny" on that banner, people would click on it, and only be offered the 25% regular bonus. empire is superior in that regard.

most people should clear cookies more often anyway, but i know people who have never cleared cookies in 3 years.

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/_950/lamer.gif

Jim Kuhn
10-04-2004, 11:02 PM
A couple of months ago I wrote Party with this question and their response was the link would override the entered code.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4U
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

GrannyMae
10-04-2004, 11:19 PM
sigh

i hate party support