PDA

View Full Version : pot stuck definition?

11-06-2001, 05:11 PM
Can someone please elaborate on what it means to be pot stuck?

I have heard it defined as whenever you have more than half your stack in the pot. I have also heard someone say they were pot stuck when they only had 1/4 of their stack in the pot.

I am assuming it has to do with the % you have in the middle vs the % you think you have of winning the pot. Is that a correct statement?

Some different examples of "pot stuckness" would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Homer S.

11-06-2001, 08:49 PM
More important that the percentage itself is how it compares to your chances of winning. Think of it this way, if the odds the pot is laying to you to win are greater than your remaining money, you are pot stuck. You need to throw that last $ in there to make the correct call.

On a hand below, I put $24 of my $36 in pre-flop and on the flop when I had TT and flopped middle set on a board of JhTd8h. I had one opponent still with me on the turn. If I checked the turn when a 3rd heart hit and my opponent bet me all-in I should call because my chances of winning are better than 5:1. I was therefore, pot stuck. If my opponent and I each had $1000 left and I checked, and he bet $1000 I could easily fold because my odds were shot. In this extreme case, I was not pot stuck.

KJS