PDA

View Full Version : Hand that vexes me

kiemo
10-03-2004, 06:23 PM
Live tourney. Table is 6 handed with 2 new players to the table. Standard players for a home tourney, half barely know what texas hold em is and the other half just want to know how much beer is left.

I am sitting in UTG+1 with about 600 in chips (lowest on table) and the blinds are 20/40. SB is one of the new guys on the table and is probably the chip leader with at least 4-5k in chips. He is not a very good player though I am told and he got extremely lucky building his stack

Hero has 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

1 fold. I raise to 200. 2 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB bets,

Now here is where I cant decide what to do.

All-in, call, raise to certain amount?

JasonK
10-03-2004, 07:00 PM
You aready put in 1/3 of your chips and got about the best flop you could hope for. Push the rest of your chips in there.

SmileyEH
10-03-2004, 07:06 PM
How much was the bet.

-SmileyEH

nrinker
10-03-2004, 07:34 PM
Im new to sngs and im unsure of this play. At this point, dont you want to put all your chips in preflop when your going in? Instead of 1/3 of your stack? Like say you dont hit the 8 there, whats your play?

xerostar
10-03-2004, 07:56 PM
At this point in the hand, you have a monster, and you're probably not going to get redrawn. Furthermore, your stack is small and you need chips. This hand is a golden opportunity to extract as many chips as you can from the "gambolly" sb. You should probably call the flop bet assuming its not the minimum bet. The turn will probably not give you a scare card, but if it happens to, you should bet stronger. Either way, you should raise the turn.

codewarrior
10-03-2004, 08:11 PM
Call. Push the turn. Extract it all with a smile /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

kiemo
10-03-2004, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Call. Push the turn. Extract it all with a smile /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot his flop bet size. It was 100

But what codewarrior suggested is what I did.

SB bets 100, Hero calls

Turn: 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB bet 200. I pushed (extra 200ish). SB calls

He shows AK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

You can guess what the river was.

Told ya he was lucky.

My question basically here was push on the flop or on the turn. My reasoning was I needed to get as many chips off him as possible and a push on the flop might make him fold. In addition, my call should induce him to bet out the turn and pushing will then be an almost gurantee call for another 100-300 more chips.

Unfortunately the results didnt go my way this time, but I think my play was the best thing I couldve done to get the most value from hand, which I felt was more important, considering the stack sizes, then just winning a relatively small pot.

Zinzan
10-03-2004, 10:20 PM
I think your play was mostly fine... you may have bet too much preflop, though--what would you have done if someone had raised you all in? Eights aren't that strong, but you've kinda pot committed yourself with about 1/3rd of your stack (though your math doesn't add up later... t200 + t100 +t200 +t200 != t600).

But you hit a monster flop. Since he called your raise, he's gotta have a pair or high overcards. The only thing that beats you is TT. Possible straight on the board, but you can't figure him for J9. JQ is a possibility, but would be a poor PF call on his part.

So milking him is probably your best play. However, I disagree with your assessment that you were looking at a relatively small pot after his flop raise. There's t500+ in the pot before your call, at least as much as you have in your stack. If there were any legitimate draws at all on this flop, I would have probably pushed right here and been happy if he folded.

Unfortunately, it didn't work out for you, but that's poker. In the end, you got him to put all his chips in against your monster, which is what you wanted.

-Z