PDA

View Full Version : Question on Kerry's tactics - Bill Kristol

wacki
10-03-2004, 06:07 PM
I was watching Fox News Sunday and I saw Bill Kristol make a comment about Kerry's vote against the 87 billion dollars. A democrat from NPR was making comments about halliburton etc. Kristol cut the NPR guy off saying "Oh, come on. It was a smart political move, and it got him the democratic nomination." Kristol said some other things as well, and naming names, but I didn't really catch what he was saying.

The democrats didn't really refute this. After a short pause, one of them simply said that he didn't need it to win.

Does anyone know why this would be a smart political move?

Non_Comformist
10-03-2004, 06:17 PM
My guess would because at the time Howard Dean was the only candidate with any credibility as being anti-war, which was starting to be important with the democratic base.

Matty
10-03-2004, 06:18 PM
He supported another bill which gave the same $87B, but required the President to be more accountable. But since the first bill passed, his was never voted on.

It was beneficial because we wanted someone who would stand up to Bush- which Kerry hadn't really done yet.

I don't think he needed it to win, but it did help.

wacki
10-03-2004, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He supported another bill which gave the same $87B, but required the President to be more accountable.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does that mean? It sounds nice and glittery, but what does that mean when it comes down to brass tacks?

Matty
10-03-2004, 11:07 PM
You mean the "more accountable" part?

The bill Kerry supported required the Bush Administration to report exactly how and when the money was spent. At least that is my understanding. It was, essentially, requiring more transparency.

anatta
10-04-2004, 12:21 AM
I have heard this "more accountability", I have also heard it explained by Kerry that the first bill that he voted for had tax increases (or repeals of cuts) to pay for the new expenditure. I am not sure if its one or the other or both.

Kenrick
10-04-2004, 01:46 AM
This will show you why. With video, even.
http://media1.streamtoyou.com/rnc/080304v1.wmv

wacki
10-04-2004, 02:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This will show you why. With video, even.
http://media1.streamtoyou.com/rnc/080304v1.wmv

[/ QUOTE ]

All I have to say is.... wow.

Thank you Kenrick, thank you so much.

I seriously don't have the words. I really have to wonder if he is lying about his current position on Iraq.

Whatever part of the brain that allows Kerry to act like he does, God did not give it to me. I seriously don't understand that behavior.

wacki
10-04-2004, 02:42 AM
It's too bad it's in streaming media, I really want a copy of that.