PDA

View Full Version : 33 blind defense vs. a LAG: am I nuts?

TimM
10-03-2004, 05:54 PM
SB has a 37% VP$IP and 19% PFR.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (4 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 10 BB, between SB and Hero.</font>

DrGutshot
10-03-2004, 06:01 PM
ugly situation...I would 3bet PF and bet the flop, fold to a C/R...bet the turn, also fold to a C/R, check the river behind...am I nuts?

Fnord
10-03-2004, 06:04 PM
Assuming he's post-flop nuts too, I'd try to take this to showdown cheap unimproved. As played, check the turn and call the inevitable river bet. Or just call it all the way and don't bother with a flop raise that often will get 3-bet or stop n' go'd.

edit: If you planned on taking this to showdown unimproved 3-betting pre-flop helps with your reverse implied odds.

STLantny
10-03-2004, 07:11 PM
Id do the classic save your self a sb. Raise the flop, check through on the turn, and call your river.

mmcd
10-03-2004, 07:38 PM

TimM
10-03-2004, 08:52 PM
As the players folded around, I could see that I was about to get raised with any two. I planned to just call and then raise any flop.

But then checking the turn is hard for me. I'm constantly getting raised or check-raised there heads up. The good part is that I usually have a much better hand then 3's, and they are full of crap way more than they need to be for me to just call down (with some player dependent exceptions).

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero has 3c 3h (one pair, threes).
SB has 6h 8h (high card, ace).
Outcome: Hero wins 10 BB. </font>

Here's one I wished I checked behind. SB and BB were both pretty weak:

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds ...

Ugh, the only question is whether I have four outs or zero, so I fold. Would have been nice to take a free card...

Fnord
10-04-2004, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Id do the classic save your self a sb. Raise the flop, check through on the turn, and call your river.

[/ QUOTE ]

That only works against fairly rational and somewhat passive opponents. Against an aggressive/irrational player this play could back-fire. If he's firing blanks, why give him a reason to slow down? If he's got the goods, why give him a chance to get in an extra bet?

STLantny
10-04-2004, 01:28 AM
Turn: (4 BB) A (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets, SB raises, Hero calls.

Thats why.

I just think more times than not hes beat.

er, i just noticed you contridicted yourself, so I may of misunderstood your post. This play is obviously selective, are you talking in generalities, or on this specific hand?

steveyz
10-04-2004, 11:58 AM
I don't think folding to a check-raise is a good idea against this particular opponent in a heads up situation. They will often check raise with any draw and anything remotely scary comes up.