PDA

View Full Version : wait...wait...

MoDOH
10-03-2004, 05:51 PM
Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed)

How did I do?

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.70 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls...

(Removed the river play )

sluttysteve
10-03-2004, 06:00 PM
Raise the flop.

MoDOH
10-03-2004, 06:01 PM
why?

j0n_blayze
10-03-2004, 06:01 PM
Raise the flop.

j0n_blayze
10-03-2004, 06:03 PM
cause you have top pair with a king kicker.

MoDOH
10-03-2004, 06:04 PM
any reason why I should do that?

Ajax410
10-03-2004, 06:05 PM
I raise here to force the flush draw to pay even more. If it comes down to made hands, yours is pretty decent. Why give a flush draw a cheaper opportunity to see a third heart? Raise, hopefully it will get it checked to you on the turn, and bet again - you want to take control of this hand. As it is, you have no information about the quality of hand you're playing against - and playing in the dark is never a good idea.

Evan
10-03-2004, 06:08 PM
You have the best hand

edthayer
10-03-2004, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
any reason why I should do that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like others before me have already said: you raise the flop because on the flop you very likely have the best hand. I think raising with the best hand is pretty self-explanatory-- you want more money in a pot that you will win more times than anyone else.

BigBaitsim (milo)
10-03-2004, 06:17 PM
Raise the flop. You likely have the best hand and need to charge the draws. Assuming the river didn't bring the third J to fill you up. You probably lost this one. If so, you didn't lose enough money.

MoDOH
10-03-2004, 06:43 PM
Darn...
I just made a big post explaining my play and then all of a sudden the damn site swallowed my text just like that... /images/graemlins/confused.gif right when I was typing... /images/graemlins/mad.gif
Oh well...

My point I was making was that calling the flop and then raising the turn when a safe card falls will net me 1BB more when the BB has a flush draw or some smaller PP or a Jx, then would raising the flop do...

mrpurple
10-03-2004, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Darn...
I just made a big post explaining my play and then all of a sudden the damn site swallowed my text just like that... /images/graemlins/confused.gif right when I was typing... /images/graemlins/mad.gif
Oh well...

My point I was making was that calling the flop and then raising the turn when a safe card falls will net me 1BB more when the BB has a flush draw or some smaller PP or a Jx, then would raising the flop do...

[/ QUOTE ]

But, if the don't raise the flop it costs you the same bet if they don't bet the turn. You can also often get to the river for free when the flush card hits and they try to check raise you.

edthayer
10-03-2004, 07:35 PM
I agree. When someone bets a flush draw on the flop, they rarely follow it up when the flush misses on the turn.

Nate tha' Great
10-03-2004, 07:52 PM
I think you are confusing this a little bit with the "two overcard hands" example from Ed's book. In that case, the pot is a lot larger, and there are more draws that can come in to beat your hand (both because you are up against more opponents and because the board is more coordinated). This is a straightforward raise for value.

You could give some consideration to just calling and raising the turn if there were not a caller in between you and the BB, because in that circumstance the BB would be more likely to bet the turn with a draw, hoping to push you off overcards.

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed)

How did I do?

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.70 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls...

(Removed the river play )

[/ QUOTE ]