PDA

View Full Version : MLB Playoffs Set: Polls and Predictions

Dynasty
10-03-2004, 05:23 PM
With today's victory by the Astros clinching the NL Wildcard and the Twin's loss finalizing the AL seeding, we know the playoff picture in baseball.

American League

New York Yankees (h.f.a.) vs. Minnesota Twins
Anaheim Angels (h.f.a.) vs. Boston Red Sox

National League

St. Louis Cardinals (h.f.a.) vs. Los Angeles Dodgers
Atlanta Braves (h.f.a.) vs. Houston Astros

Dynasty
10-03-2004, 05:28 PM
Of course, I must pick my beloved Red Sox to win in the first round against the Angels. I'm necessarily doing it because I think they're better than the Angels. I just figure if the Red Sox don't win the World Series this year, they'll lose in heartbreaking fashion. That could mean a World Series game 7 loss against the Astros and Roger Clemens.

I'm taking the Twins over the Yankees with a heavy emphasis of Johan Santana who just won his third consecutive Pitcher of the Month in September.

In the NL, the Cardinals and Major League best 104 wins have to be the pick over the Dodgers.

In order to set up a possible Red Sox-Roger Clemens World Series, I must pick the Astros over the Braves.

GuyOnTilt
10-03-2004, 05:32 PM
Twins over Yanks.
BoSox over Team with the Stupidest Fans Ever.
Dodgers over Cards. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif
'Stros over ATL.

GoT

Clarkmeister
10-03-2004, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Twins over Yanks.
'Stros over ATL.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with all of those.

Dynasty
10-03-2004, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Twins over Yanks.
'Stros over ATL.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I sense a challenge! 3 out of 4 series takes it?

GuyOnTilt
10-03-2004, 05:38 PM

Doesn't surprise me.

GoT

Zeno
10-03-2004, 05:56 PM
Twins over the Yankees. Just because /images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

Boston over the Angels. If the Red Sox lose this series the team should move to hide their shame.

Just on momentum, I'll pick the Astros over the Braves.

I have to pick the Dodgers over the Cardinals; I bet on them. They do have a decent chance; they are well managed and have some momentum going into the playoffs. Plus, I really think the Dodgers believe they can win no manner what - as opposed to the Cardinals, who are supposed to and expect to win.

Another interesting question is – of all the series match ups: which one will have the most total runs scored and which one the least.

-Zeno

Dynasty
10-03-2004, 08:55 PM
Playoff Schedule according to ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1894320)

Division Series
AMERICAN LEAGUE
New York vs. Minnesota
Tuesday, Oct. 5
Minnesota (Santana 20-6) at New York (Mussina 12-9), 8:19 p.m. (FOX)

Wednesday, Oct. 6
Minnesota (Radke 11-8) at New York (Lieber 14-8), 7:09 p.m. (ESPN)

Friday, Oct. 8
New York (Hernandez 8-2 or Brown 10-6) at Minnesota (Silva 14-8), 8:09 p.m. (ESPN)

Saturday, Oct. 9
New York at Minnesota, if necessary

Sunday, Oct. 10
Minnesota at New York, if necessary

Anaheim vs. Boston
Tuesday, Oct. 5
Boston (Schilling 21-6) at Anaheim (Washburn 11-8), 4:09 p.m. (ESPN)

Wednesday, Oct. 6
Boston (Martinez 16-9) at Anaheim (Colon 8-12), 10:09 p.m. (ESPN)

Friday, Oct. 8
Anaheim (Escobar 11-12) at Boston (Arroyo 10-9 or Wakefield 12-10), 4:09 p.m. (ESPN)

Saturday, Oct. 9
Anaheim or Minnesota at Boston, if necessary

Sunday, Oct. 10
Boston at Anaheim or Minnesota, if necessary

NATIONAL LEAGUE
St. Louis vs. Los Angeles
Tuesday, Oct. 5
Los Angeles (Perez 7-6) at St. Louis (W.Williams 11-8), 1:09 p.m. (ESPN)

Thursday, Oct. 7
Los Angeles (Weaver 13-13) at St. Louis (Marquis 15-7), 8:19 p.m. (FOX)

Saturday, Oct. 9
St. Louis (Morris 15-10) at Los Angeles (Lima 13-5)

Sunday, Oct. 10
St. Louis (Suppan 16-9) at Los Angeles, if necessary

Monday, Oct. 11
Los Angeles at St. Louis, if necessary

Atlanta vs. Houston
Wednesday, Oct. 6
Houston (Clemens 18-4) at Atlanta (Wright 15-8), 4:09 p.m. (ESPN)

Thursday, Oct. 7
Houston (Oswalt 20-10) at Atlanta (Thomson 14-8), 4:09 p.m. (ESPN)

Saturday, Oct. 9
Atlanta (Hampton 13-9) at Houston

Sunday, Oct. 10
Atlanta at Houston, if necessary

Monday, Oct. 11
Houston at Atlanta, if necessary

League Championship Series
AMERICAN LEAGUE
Tuesday, Oct. 12
Boston-Anaheim winner at New York OR Minnesota at Anaheim OR Boston at Minnesota, 8:15 p.m.

Wednesday, Oct. 13
Boston-Anaheim winner at New York OR Minnesota at Anaheim OR Boston at Minnesota, 8:15 p.m.

Friday, Oct. 15
New York at Boston-Anaheim winner OR Anaheim at Minnesota OR Minnesota at Boston, 8:15 p.m.

Saturday, Oct. 16
New York at Boston-Anaheim winner OR Anaheim at Minnesota OR Minnesota at Boston, 8 p.m.

Sunday, Oct. 17
New York at Boston-Anaheim winner OR Anaheim at Minnesota OR Minnesota at Boston, 4:35 p.m., if necessary

Tuesday, Oct. 19
Boston-Anaheim winner at New York OR Minnesota at Anaheim OR Boston at Minnesota, 8:15 p.m., if necessary

Wednesday, Oct. 20
Boston-Anaheim winner at New York OR Minnesota at Anaheim OR Boston at Minnesota, 8:15 p.m., if necessary

NATIONAL LEAGUE
Wednesday, Oct. 13
Atlanta-Houston winner at St. Louis OR Los Angeles at Atlanta OR Houston at Los Angeles, 8:15 p.m.

Thursday, Oct. 14
Atlanta-Houston winner at St. Louis OR Los Angeles at Atlanta OR Houston at Los Angeles, 8:15 p.m.

Saturday, Oct. 16
St. Louis at Atlanta-Houston winner OR Atlanta at Los Angeles OR Los Angeles at Houston, 4:15 p.m.

Sunday, Oct. 17
St. Louis at Atlanta-Houston winner OR Atlanta at Los Angeles OR Los Angeles at Houston, 8:05 p.m.

Monday, Oct. 18
St. Louis at Atlanta-Houston winner OR Atlanta at Los Angeles OR Los Angeles at Houston, 8:15 p.m., if necessary

Wednesday, Oct. 20
Atlanta-Houston winner at St. Louis OR Los Angeles at Atlanta OR Houston at Los Angeles, 4:15 p.m., if necessary

Thursday, Oct. 21
Atlanta-Houston winner at St. Louis OR Los Angeles at Atlanta OR Houston at Los Angeles, 8:15 p.m., if necessary

World Series
Saturday, Oct. 23
National League at American League, 8:05 p.m.

Sunday, Oct. 24
NL at AL, 8 p.m.

Tuesday, Oct. 26
AL at NL, 8:30 p.m.

Wednesday, Oct. 27
AL at NL, 8:25 p.m.

Thursday, Oct. 28
AL at NL, 8:25 p.m., if necessary

Saturday, Oct. 30
NL at AL, 7:55 p.m., if necessary

Sunday, Oct. 31
NL at AL, 8 p.m., if necessary

sfer
10-03-2004, 08:58 PM
The Sox/Angels series is going to be a lot of fun to watch. And it's always fun to watch a 162 game season flushed down Atlanta's toilet.

Non_Comformist
10-03-2004, 09:36 PM
God's plan has the Yankees meeting the Redsox in the ALCS (unless David mathematically proves otherwise)

In the NL I think the Cards have been the best team all season and I dnon't see that changing and the Astros who maybe the most talented team seem to have finally figured things out.

JoeU
10-03-2004, 10:17 PM
Ok, I've just about had enough of the "Yankee doubting". Andy, feel free to step in and help me out on this one.

The Yanks are beating the Twins, and its not even close (3-1 or 3-0). They've OWNED the Twins over the past 5ish years. The Yankees have plenty going for them:
1. Home field advantage (remember the house that Ruth built stuff!)
2. Hitting: they probably have the best hitting lineup 1-9. No one in the AL comes close, and only the Cards in the NL can compare.
3. Experience: They've been there once or twice in the past few years.
4. Derek Jeter: 'nuff said

I'm not saying they will flat out win the World Series. However, every thread responding to the initial post here picked the Twins. And believe me, I know about the Yankees starting pitching. It stinks! But the bull pen is one of the strongest of all the post season teams, including probably the most automatic closer in the history of the post season.

There, I've said my peace.

Joe

The Dude
10-03-2004, 10:21 PM
Everybody hates the Yankees. And because of your avatar, everybody hates you. Go away.

Clarkmeister
10-03-2004, 10:22 PM
Hey, I picked the Yankees!

JoeU
10-03-2004, 10:27 PM
There's a city of 11 million people that doesn't hate the Yankees. You should be a little more careful when using the term "everybody".

And jealousy of my avatar will get you nowhere! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Joe

JoeU
10-03-2004, 10:28 PM
Sorry Dave, I kinda skipped over you because you just disagreed with every pick that other poster made.

Joe

PS: Now that NPA is "in the money", is he buying you beers at the Mirage? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Porcupine
10-03-2004, 11:18 PM
Yankees over Twins.
Why: Probably very close, but Yankees hitting and bullpen plus "Yankee Stadium" combine to pull it out.

Red Sox over Angels.
Why: Schilling and Pedro.

Astros over Braves.
Why:Rocket and Oswalt plus Braves in postseason.

Cardinals over Dodgers.
Why: Cards are better.

Zeno
10-04-2004, 12:23 AM
I picked the Twins mostly to annoy Andy. /images/graemlins/wink.gif (Plus I was a Twins fan when young as one branch of the family tree is from Minnesota).

I don't hate the Yankees. I have just never been able to be a fan, sort of a family tradition and all that. In fact, I have a grudging respect for the team - they are winners.

That said I hope the series ends 3-2 in favor of the Twins.

-Zeno

andyfox
10-04-2004, 12:29 AM
1) The home field means nothing in a 5 game series. You're under immediate pressure if you lost the first game.

2) Yes, they have better hitting than the Twins. But they'll have to face Santana and Radke, and, as a team, they're not hitting very well of late.

3) Experience is overrated. The Twins have the experience of last year anyway. With all their experience, the Yankees lost three in a row to the Angels in 2002 and three in a row to the Marlins last year.

4) Jeter is a winner, no doubt about it. But he can't carry the team all by himself.

I really think game one is super important this year. If they can beat Santana, that will be huge. Otherwise, they'll have their work cut out for them.

But I don't understand how, with the 20th best pitchinig in the majors, they got this far. I hope they continue to surprise me.

andyfox
10-04-2004, 12:30 AM
Anyone who quotes Mencken so often, and is willing to mow my lawn, could never annoy me, no matter how many guns he owns.

banditbdl
10-04-2004, 01:32 AM
As a Twins fan, but a realist, I'd put their odds of beating the Yanks at about 40%. The only reason its 40% and not 20% and the same reason that people can justify picking the Twins at all is because we have Santana plain and simple. The man has been all but untouchable for 3 months, and for the last two months or so you can tell that the whole team has a hop in their step whenever he's pitching, the bats seem to have more zip and the defense just seems to be crisper because they all know that with Johan on the mound if they can get a few runs they'll get a Win, end of story.

That said, the Twins are gonna have to get in front early and hold on for dear life to win games against the Yanks, because our bullpen has shown chinks in the armour lately, and I just can't see us pulling any comebacks against Rivera and Co. I like the Twins chances against the Yanks infinitely better than last year, but not enough to predict a series win by any stretch of the imagination.

The Dude
10-04-2004, 04:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There's a city of 11 million people that doesn't hate the Yankees. You should be a little more careful when using the term "everybody".

And jealousy of my avatar will get you nowhere!/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Your avatar sucks. So do said 11 million people.

elscorcho768
10-04-2004, 05:18 AM
Its simple. The Yankees are something like 21-3 against the Twins in the past 24. Santana is one pitcher, and as we saw last time he faced the Yanks, a solid outing from him does not mean anything. The Yanks have been getting to bullpens throughout the year. This is one team that has an offense that can carry it far. Moose and El Duque have been solid ( el duque hopefully isnt too bothered by the shoulder and moose has been hot of late) more than anything else, the yanks thrive on big series and tense situations. thats why you cannot bet against the yanks this postseason. they could very well lose in the first round, but i would bet on the yanks in a heartbeat.

pudley4
10-04-2004, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...and as we saw last time he (Santana) faced the Yanks, a solid outing from him does not mean anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean the outing where he gave up 1 run on only 3 hits in the five innings he was scheduled to pitch? You think if that had been a playoff game he may have gone another inning (or 2, or 3, or 4)?

DCIAce
10-04-2004, 01:12 PM
I'm actually more excited about the Dodgers' chances against the Cards than I was a couple days ago. Tracy announced that he's going with a 3-man rotation for the opening series.. Perez, Weaver, Lima, Perez, Weaver. At least they aren't throwing Ishii or Nomo or Jackson or some other dipshit out there to throw away a game.

Dodgers in 4. /images/graemlins/cool.gif
Astros in 5.
Yankees in 4.
Angels in 5.

Boris
10-04-2004, 07:47 PM
I saw over on the Sports Betting forum that the Astros are -140 to win thier series against the Braves. If that really is true I'm going to start my sports gambling career off by betting big on Atlanta. I don't see any possible way the Astros can be favored in this series. They lucked into the wildcard by playing the Colorado Rockies (WORST TEAM IN BASEBALL), a Cards team that was playing its AA players and a loser, sadsack Cubs team. Clemens and Oswalt need to prove they can pitch in a game that matters. Bobby Cox is the best manager in baseball.

Clarkmeister
10-04-2004, 08:04 PM
It won't take long for Weaver to remind us all how much he hates being in the spotlight. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Dynasty
10-09-2004, 12:41 AM
We 2+2ers did a good job calling the Red Sox-Angels series and look at track to nail the Cardinals-Dodgers series.