PDA

View Full Version : Raise this?

AdamL
10-03-2004, 12:45 PM
UTG+1 is very tight and passive preflop. When he comes alive on the turn I figure he probably has a better king or slowplayed something.

I just called.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (5 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero...

Evan
10-03-2004, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
UTG+1 is very tight and passive preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't raise a TP player's UTG limp with a marginal hand. Do you really think you have a decent chance to win this pot with a flop bet? If it was heads up maybe, but I think you're just wasting a bet there. I'd really like to be closing the action on the turn to call here. If you think your read is accurate I think a fold would be in order.

Bigdaddydvo
10-03-2004, 12:54 PM
I'd fold preflop

AdamL
10-03-2004, 01:04 PM
What "iffy" kinds of hands can I play against this guy in this situation?

E.g, KJo, 88, etc.

Also, if folding is the best preflop option here, is raising better than calling? (To get the blinds out and get it headsup with UTG+1, who will likely fold if he misses a flop).

Fnord
10-03-2004, 01:08 PM
How tight is "very tight?" Would he limp (22-77??) 88-TT and fold without a set? How aggro is he post-flop?

AdamL
10-03-2004, 01:14 PM
I've only been playing at the table with him just now, so I haven't got a comprehensive read on him.

I know he doesn't raise with stuff like TT, and all the hands I've seen him play are reasonable. I could easily see him limping with KJs for example.

I think he'd fold to a bet with 88-TT without a set if overcards came on the flop and the pfr bet into him. I'm not sure he'd be wrong either.

Adam

Evan
10-03-2004, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What "iffy" kinds of hands can I play against this guy in this situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to realize, the hands that he's limping with UTG are probably pretty similar to the hands I'm raising (my PFR is about 9%), so these indlude big aces, high pairs and those kinds of hands. So what should you be playing.....I'd say the same kinds of hands and you can obviously losen up a bit by including more hands less likely to be crippled by domination (i.e. JTs, T9s, 88) since you have position here.

[ QUOTE ]
is raising better than calling?

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer to this question is almsot always yes.

sthief09
10-03-2004, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
UTG+1 is very tight

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is Button with K, T.
1 fold, UTG+1 calls, 3 folds, Hero raises

[/ QUOTE ]

???????????????

AdamL
10-03-2004, 01:21 PM
Very good. Thanks guys. And I'll try to believe my own reads more often in the future - lol.