PDA

View Full Version : Pot-Limit Omaha hand

10-31-2001, 05:25 PM
I'm just looking for some advice on a situation like this. Bear in mind it was an online tourney on poker stars.

I had like 6000 in chip BB had like 10000 and the only other person in the had had like 200. I was 2 off BB and the guy with 200 was 4 off BB. The guy that has 200 is a player I have seen win tourneys on poker stars so I assume he isn't a bad player and he would only go all in pre-flop with some kind of pair, I was assuming KK or AA. I have Ac3d7h9h I call fold to the guy with 200 he raises all fold to BB, BB calls and I call, flop comes Ah3h7d

BB bets 600, I raise 1200, BB reraised 2400, I think about it and raise all in.

My question obviously, Is that a good play?

He called and ended up winning the had with A high flush and better cards then mine, he had KhJh and I don't remember his other 2 cards but they didn't help much if I do remember they were off suit like 8 J, it was obvious he was playing the flush draw. Also maybe it was a good guess but the third guy did have AA.

I'm just curious in a situation like that is my first raise too strong, and of course after is my all in too strong.

11-01-2001, 12:51 AM
On the flop it looks very much like you have the BB beat unless he has a small set (and he has to have two case cards for any set), since the allin player should be the most likely one to have AA, if anyone does. So can he have a draw that is favored to beat you? With you holding two of the hearts (making a bigger flush draw less likely to get there), having 5 FH outs against a bigger flush draw and up to 9 flush outs against a set, it seems about the only hands you can be really afraid of are 456K with the suited Kh or a small set with a bigger flush draw (quite the pieces of cheese preflop). I'm no PLO player, but since this is a tournament and you must get lucky at some point to win, I would gamble that the BB is making a move with some kind of inferior draw and go all in like you did.

11-01-2001, 06:42 PM
you didnot say if this was high only, or H/L split. if high only, you should fold before the flop. if H/L you should fold after the flop.

for sure, you should not have called the raise...if other player does have AA as you suggested then you can't even win if you fill up!!!

11-07-2001, 08:44 AM
Folding preflop is easily the best option, avoids getting you into this situation.