PDA

View Full Version : UltimateBet.com no limit structure.

10-30-2001, 07:39 PM
The UB games are lots of fun and they are very good. I think UB has hit upon a very good no limit structure with the "max buy-in" formula. I believe these games will continue to be good for a long time because of that structure. It prevents the game from degenerating into gigantic stack play, which is basically a hyper-conservative trapping game.

It forces you to get in there and gamble. And most importantly, it keeps the new players from being intimidated when they sit down and buy-in for the minimum. If nobody has more than $100 or so, a new player won't be intimidated and will be willing to take a shot and play a bit. The biggest stack I've ever seen was $214 (mine, I'm happy to say). I've seen some really bad players come in and build up $150 to $200 with their $25 buy in. This is good. They will come back and they won't get cleaned out as fast because of the max buy-in.

I seriously believe this structure could herald the return of no limit popularity.

It gives the bad players a cushion from losing too much too fast, it forces the good players to mix it up a bit, and it keeps the games lively and fun. This structure may be the future of no limit. I think it's that good.

natedogg

10-30-2001, 10:24 PM
Natedog, do u use that handle on Ultimatebet? If so, I haven't seen you. I am "Jeffage" on there. I agree, the structure is genius, and the maximum buy-in prevents huge losses and keeps the game a little more fish friendly. I have made a few hundred, and I am primarily a limit player (as my post below should indicate). There are times however, to play if you want to make a bigger score. Around 2 am eastern, stack sizes can average in the high 80's and there are many more $100 plus stacks. You can make a big score (as I did when I flopped a set of 10's out of the big blind and someone pushed all in for $70 with Aces up). I am starting to agree that EXTREMELY tight play is right; I let the 50 cent bring in cause me to lose $50. That won't happen again. Also, look to play in ALL games with a player named JonnyGames...endless money supply, loves betting big and calling big bets with draws. Eagar to hear more of your commentary about the game.

Jeff

10-31-2001, 02:00 AM
yeah nate-dogg I would just love to hear more nonsense out of you and the the seraphim who worship and would suck your cock on this board! are u fucking joking me? I would die to play you heads up or in any ring game anywhere, if you spent as much time winning as wasting fucking time posting on this site, you would be retired in the Caribbean...keep "theorizing" and impressing the village idiots, I will keep playing and winning in real life thanks anyhow...good luck rimming the poseur suckers...JD

10-31-2001, 03:45 AM

10-31-2001, 01:16 PM

10-31-2001, 05:12 PM
Your post reveals to me that your ignorance goes several levels deep.

Perhaps you are unaware that I have been given the title "all powerful god-king of no limit". Hopefully that will clear things up for you. So what if the title was given to me by my 4 month old son? It's still my title! And yes, I know he can't speak yet but the way he drools and farts is clearly an attempt to communicate that title to me. He's such a good son. I'm a lucky father to have a child so perceptive and brilliant.

There are some other things you may not know about me.

Me and my close poker compatriots are quite possibly the toughest, smartest, trickiest poker players on the planet. I run a weekly home game that was once crashed by the GCA ("aka Gambling Cheating A-holes"). I personally bitch-slapped their collective bankroll back into the stone age. They had no chance. It was a slaughter. Actually my method was simple. You see, I knew they could see my cards via tachyonic space-laser cameras and quantum astrology. Therefore, every time they raised me I went all-in. Easy money.

Doyle Brunson calls me regularly to discuss hands that went down in the big Bellagio game. Usually, he sends me a couple large per month just to keep me friendly. He's worried that I'll be open to giving the same expert insights to his competitors.

Phil Hellmuth paid me to advise Mike Matusow with bad info. That was a lot of fun. I told the Mouth 72o was the nuts and look at what happened! Yes, Mike paid me for the advice, but Phil paid me more for the bad advice. It's a natedogg-eat-dog world out there. DO NOT underestimate my power. There's more.

Here's a funny story. I once folded a royal flush on the flop against some guy with a crazy Pollack sounding name, it had like one vowel or so. Skrunksry or something. Anyway, it was obvious he was just betting into me to squeeze out the player behind us. I had him read so clearly he might as well have told me his strategy. Well, I've said time and time again, reading the players is the most important part of no limit hold'em. You have to act on your reads with conviction.

This guy has some kind of theory about how you theoretically lose everytime you think you can see someone's cards, or something. So, obviously, my best play was to fold. In no limit, you better be able to make big laydowns when the stacks are small or you might as well stay home. I'm proud of that move. Can you say you ever folded a royal flush on the flop? And don't give me this crap about how you did it once on the river, when you were drunk. BIG DEAL! Can you drop it on the flop? That's what it takes in no limit buddy.

You are clearly an amateur who didn't get enough attention from mommy and daddy after they got divorced. You also clearly have some sort of repressed latent homo-self-hate thing going.

I doubt you have the intelligence to make laydowns like I'm capable of. I would be willing to give you some advice on how to play no limit, for a fee of course. You would have to promise to stay away from the Bellagio big game as I promised Doyle I wouldn't sell advice to anyone in his game.

However, you'd have to start winning in order to afford me. As you can see, you won't be able to do that playing against me. Because you are sucker in a cheap suit, and I am, sincerely,

The All Powerful God-King of No Limit

natedogg

10-31-2001, 05:16 PM
just what is the structure and the max buy?

some time back I played in regular pot limit game (twice a week) with $300 buy , blinds $5-$10-$20 opener could call the 20 and raise 100. needless to say that 1st buy may not last long.

anyway, at X point they put in new rule of max buy of 1,000 and you had to have less than 500 in front of you to do that. some of the toughs really did not like that because it had been their practice that if fish had luck and built big stack, they would buy enough to be able to bust fish in one hand.

changed the whole game, for the better I think.

10-31-2001, 05:24 PM
well I have heard of fighting fire with fire....but that's the first time I have seen bullshit used to fight horseshit!

who knows, it mignt just work!

10-31-2001, 05:25 PM
lmao. I think Jay-Dee would actually fit in pretty well at your home game.

10-31-2001, 05:42 PM
You can't come to the table with more than 50$, and the blinds are .25-.50. The games are easy, but if you are used to playing in the big games that many of you frequent, it may seem boring to you to play this way. For a poor college student like me though, it is a nice income supplement. Did I mention the games were easy? The buy-in structure definitely allows for more no-limit rookies...

And: It is classless to come on this forum and insult someone without reason. What do you care if people ask Natedogg for advice? Go away Jay Dee, or say something with some relevance...

11-01-2001, 03:37 PM
I am not used to no limit and have been playing there and learning from my mistakes so far.

Here are some of my mistakes.

I hold K8 in the BB and the flop comes out K 8 2. I bet and two guys call. The turn is a J. I bet again and both guys call. The river is another K. I go all in, one guys folds, the other calls and turn over KJ beating my full house with a better one.

I am in late position with KK and to my right a guy with about $15 of chips raises $5. I reraise and put him all-in and everyone else drops out. The board comes out 7 4 5 8 J. He turns over 66 and beats my KK with a straight. Every player in the game writes "lol" in the chatbox.

I hold AA and call from the early position. A late position player who is lower on chips than me raises $1 and I reraise him $6, which is a lot for him because he only has $15. He calls and everyone else folds. I assume that he has a large pair in the pocket to put down almost half his stack like that. The flop comes T T 5. He checks and I raise and he calls all-in. The next two come out and he turns over AT offsuit and takes me with his set of T's. I thought that there would be no way someone would put half his chips in the middle with something like ATo but I was wrong and lost that too.

I call for .25 with 45s in late position. The flop comes A28 rainbow. The early guy raises only .25 so I call. The next card is a 3, still a rainbow making a flush impossible. He again raises small and I reraise big. He calls. The river is another A. He doesn't even check but bets big and I fold. He turns over A8.

Any criticisms of my play would be appreciated. I also have a lot to learn about NL play and would appreciate any reading recommendations.

11-01-2001, 06:42 PM
I didn't know he was funny too...

11-01-2001, 06:51 PM
I'm no no-limit pro but I've been reading up and playing on ultimate bet for a while and winning. Here is my commentary on your hands. Would appreciate any commentary on the commentary.

>>>I hold K8 in the BB and the flop comes out K 8 2. I bet and

This hand you did nothing wrong. The only thing out there that can beat you is KJ. Don't know what the pot size was or previous betting was but you can't be afraid to put your chips in when there is only one hand that can beat you unless previous action has told you reliably that person holds that hand.

>>>I am in late position with KK and to my right a guy with about $15 of chips raises $5. I reraise and put him all-in and everyone else drops out.

What is wrong with your play here? Many players will call big pre-flop raises with pairs hoping to trip and beat your KK or AA. Let them. You played this hand perfect and got unlucky. Personally I sometimes throw away KK to a $5 raise (depending on position, player, and stack sizes). Many will say this is way too tight but $5 is a big raise in the ultimate bet game and my main objective is to avoid having a second best hand I really like. I'd rather fold a winner then end up with a great second best hand. Plus KK is pretty worthless as soon as an Ace falls.

>>>I hold AA and call from the early position. A late position player who is lower on chips than me raises $1 and I reraise him $6, which is a lot for him because he only has $15.

Why did you limp here? I only limp with AA hoping for a raise behind and then I push it all in. Limping with AA from anywhere is a bad idea (IMO) unless you have no problem giving it up on the flop. I like to get all the chips in pre-flop with AA. Let him call with AT all day long.

>>>I call for .25 with 45s in late position. The flop comes A28 rainbow. The early guy raises only .25 so I call. The next card is a 3, still a rainbow making a flush impossible. He again raises small and I reraise big.

Only thing I would have done here is push it all in when you make your straight. I'm not sure if that's the right move, some like to try to milk their hands. I have found on ultimate bet though that when I get the nuts on the flop or the turn and push all in I am called far more often then when I push it in on the river. Plus as in this case 2 pair and trips can easily beat your straight or flush by filling on the river. Let trips call your all in bet drawing to the boat (they will frequently even when an easy straight or flush is on board) instead of on the river when they have made their boat and can get away if they didn't. I also find that the more I push the chips in the more I start getting called.

Homer J.

11-01-2001, 06:54 PM
most of those hands were just bad luck, you couldn't have done much better

BUT that last hand was a very bad decision..only two hands will beat you, a higher straight or a full...odds of him having either are so small that you should not fold......but, before that when you made your straight why didn't you go all in??