PDA

View Full Version : Learning No-Limit the Hard Way

10-30-2001, 10:55 AM
Playing no-limit poker online at UltimateBet. Blinds are 25 and 50 cents, max buy in is $50. The games are VERY good, and I have been beating them despite being a no-limit novice. Got hurt this morning however. I have Q9s in the BB. A couple folders, mid-position limper raises 50 cents (yes, they are that bad and too lazy to move the scale to bet higher). A couple callers, I call. First...Is this a mistake? For 50 cents, I figure I can outplay most of these people though I probably wouldn't call the $1 bet cold. 5 players, $5 pot. Flop comes Q-Q-2, two clubs. I'm first and bet $2.50 into the pot. Get 3 callers. Turn is an offsuit king. I bet $6 to see who really wants to be in this pot. Fold to LP player who makes it $12. Everyone folds to me? What do I do? Would someone do this with just a big king? Would a fold here look week and invite bluffs later in the game? This player has me covered many times and is the big stack at the table (his $150 to my $46). I call the bet. River is an offsuit brick. I check, he bets $40 and puts me all-in. I call to be shown Q2o for the flopped boat. Comments and general advice appreciated.

Jeff

10-30-2001, 07:31 PM
Flopping that QQ2 was no different than flopping Q23 for you. Either your kicker is good or it isn't.

There is something very deceptive about playing trash hands in no limit. At first, you might be thinking that the implied odds are so high you should play any two cards. This is very dangerous thinking, as illustrated by your Q9. The problem with trash hands is that if you do hit the flop hard, you either will get no action, or you'll be in trouble when all the money goes in.

What do you think about a flop of KQ9, or AQ9 or 99T? None of these appeal to me, especially if I somehow end up all-in. At that point, I don't like my chances.

With a flop of QQ2, if you get ANY action whatsoever, you have to be extremely worried. He can see those queens just as well as you can. He can also see that you're showing some strength, so if he doesn't have a queen, he will slow down or fold roughly 100% of the time. Even if he has AA he'll probably go into check-call mode. Since you keep pounding away and he keeps coming back at you, you have a big problem. You've hit just about the perfect flop for this hand and you're getting pressured.

You have kicker problems. You have poor position. Your trash hand turned into a miracle and you still need to be concerned. What's the best solution? Avoid playing these trash hands, especially in a situation where you defend the big blind against a raise.

There is a HUGE difference between raising with this hand on the button and defending your big blind with it. For one, by raising on the button, you give yourself a good opportunity to take the pot on the flop. However, whenever you hit the flop with a trash hand, you actually need to be well prepared to release it. Also, in your case, you bet out into the flop of QQ2 and got THREE callers. In that situation, SOMEBODY has a queen, and now you need to be worried. I'd be very concerned about the overcallers.

The biggest problem with trash hands is that if you hit your miracle flop and still get action, you're probably going to lose a big pot. Just avoid these situations altogether.

Also, you really need to know your players. Most of the players on UltimateBet are extremely timid. They will call with all kinds of stuff but they will not raise without the goods. So getting all-in with trips and a weak kicker is especially dangerous.

natedogg