PDA

View Full Version : Hey El D et al., the Astros MVP...

DanS
10-03-2004, 04:53 AM
for his absolutely stellar performance down the home stretch, is....

CLINT HURDLE. Although it was a landslide, it wasn't unanimous. Tony LaRussa garnered a few votes and received most of the 2nd places from the voters, but they saw who the real champ was. What a joke!!!!

Dan

Neil Stevens
10-03-2004, 05:09 AM
What happened, for those of us who don't follow either team?

DanS
10-03-2004, 05:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What happened, for those of us who don't follow either team?

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, Cardinals' manager LaRussa sat all of his stars (who, admittedly, were ailing to various extents) during his series against the Astros, when he could have put up a fight and saved the resting time for the year end Brewers' series. A minor/moderate sin.

Hurdle, the Rockies' manager, didn't play this series against the 'Stros to win. While admittedly his big league club is a AAA team a la the Pittsburgh Penguins, he decided to start a bunch of September call ups. Friggin' little league team out there.

I'm not going to get on a soapbox and preach about showing some sack, nor am I going to call their integrity into question (too much). I just think they could have taken a little more interest in playing spoiler.

Dan

P.S. I'm from the Bay Area, but I'm not a Giants' fan. This crap offended my sensibilities as a baseball and sports fan.

Phat Mack
10-03-2004, 06:16 AM
The real tragedy of this 'Stros MVP business is that Roy Oswalt wasn't put up for the Cy Young.

DanS
10-03-2004, 05:11 PM
*bump*

No one finds the managers' behavior a bit embarassing?

Dan

ThaSaltCracka
10-03-2004, 05:14 PM
nope

St. Louis can do whatever they want, its not their job to help another team make the playoffs. If that means sitting players in meaningless games so be it. And yes those were meaningless games to St. Louis.

As for the Rockies, well what do you expect, the [censored] suck.

Neil Stevens
10-03-2004, 10:31 PM
It's a manager's job to get his team as deep in the playoffs as he can. Losing meaningless games as valuable team members rest is part of that.

I only ever expect a spoiler effect when rivals are around, and even then it's not certain. Jim Tracy did not put his best out against the Giants today.