PDA

View Full Version : Bad river what to do?

10-29-2001, 01:12 AM
No limit $390 at table. $2.50 and $5 blinds.

QhTh on the button there are 4 limpers i also call, big blind raises to $20, i call as does small blind.

Flop is QdTd4s checked to me i bet $50 both call. Turn is 8s, making 2 possible flush draws and J9 a made straight. Checked to me, i overbet the pot for $250, both call. Turn is 9c giving no flushes but a lone J makes a straight. Big blind bets enough to put me allin, and i call and look at JJ.

What should i have done here? Should i have bet more on the flop? Should i have moved in on the turn? How about folding on the river?

10-29-2001, 02:23 AM
How about folding pre-flop to the raise out of the blind which screams that your hand may be dominated (it's marginal either way). Seeing you didn't do that, I would move all in on the turn without question. With their pre-flop play it is doubtful anyone has a made straight. I would make them pay DEARLY to catch up when I am almost certainly in the lead. I can't believe JJ called the turn for $250, he must be a stone cold idiot. I'd strongly consider mucking on the river unless you are against a trick opponent capable of such a bold bluff in this spot; remember if he is bluffing he knows u could be staring at the straight for real. I don't see him making this play without the straight. Better luck next time.

Jeff

10-29-2001, 02:53 AM
A valid point about the preflop fold. But my opponent had quite a stack in front of him, and i would fold if i didn't get enough of the flop. This particular player rarely makes large bets after the flop without at least a set, but he tends to call way too much. Flopping top pair alone, i would muck to a reasonable bet, unless i had the flush draw to go with it.

10-29-2001, 09:26 AM
I would bet 100 on the flop, and then push all in on the turn when no one else bets. The way you bet it, the BB was getting better than 3:1 on his flop call (and better than 9:1 implied odds counting your 320 stack, not to mention the other players stack), which means you weren't giving him enough encouragement to fold a draw that might take your stack. But I don't play NL, so take that for what it's worth. /images/wink.gif

By my count, betting 250 on the turn only leaves you 70. What are you saving those chips for? Would you fold in a 780 or 1030 pot (depending if one or both call) if either opponent bet you all in for 70 on the river? So why let them draw for less than 320 when you probably call with your last chips no matter what hits?

10-29-2001, 03:46 PM
You did everything right. You have to call on the river unless the bettor is absolutely predictable. You only have $120 left and the pot is around $1000. You cannot fold.

The big blind is a bad player and you should play in this game as often as possible. The third player almost certainly was on a flush draw and therefore he sucks too. You should be able to destroy this game.

natedogg

10-29-2001, 05:58 PM
I'm assuming it's $10 to go before the flop. If that's the case, IMO, you made a pretty significant underbet on the flop. I would either bet $150 on the flop or even go all in. Alot of players will put you on a draw and will call or even check-raise if you don't go all in. Natedogg disagrees with me on this, but IMO, semibluffing with a flush draw can be a profitable play. you just have to make sure to bet big when you have the goods also.

on the turn you might as well just push all your chips in there. Greg Raymer once posted that he uses the 50% rule: If your bet is more than 50% of your stack then might as well go all in.

no brainer call on the river.

10-29-2001, 09:45 PM
Thanks all for the input. I now realise that an allin move on the turn was required. If they call and beat me all power to them.

Do think i had to call the river, with over 15 to 1 pot odds.