PDA

View Full Version : KK in the 200K guaranteed - how's this line?

Che
10-03-2004, 03:09 AM
Around 350 left in the Party 200K guaranteed. I'm in the top ten, maybe top 5.

Villain is definitely solid. PF reraise smells like AA-QQ/AK, but I'm not 100% sure. Might include AQ and some smaller pairs.

Blinds 75/150. Folded to me in the CO. I have K /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I have 11222 and make it 400.

Folded to SB who has 8012 after posting. He makes it 800.

BB folds. I call the extra 400.

Flop: 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (Pot: 1750)

Villain bets 800. I call.

Turn: 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif (Pot: 3350)

Villain bets 1500, leaving him 5062. I push in.

He's getting 2:1 if he wants to call. I would have a little over 3000 left if he calls and I lose. (Average was approaching 4000 at the time.)

Not my normal line to say the least. Thoughts?

Che

Garland
10-03-2004, 03:30 AM
I think you're giving Villian a bit too much credit here. You're open-raising from the CO position, a spot where you would open a lot of hands because you're a little more than a button player in a steal position. If he's a good player cognizant of the situation, then you can add a lot of hands that he'd push back from in the SB including any pairs, a decent A and perhaps as little as KJ or QJ.

Your line is fine. You are in effect slowplaying the KK and getting as much value from them as possible. From my experience, bets of less than 1/2 the pot means that the opponent missed the flop (or is extremely worried) and is making a feeble attempt to push you off your hand. [Caveat: he could have a monster. If that is true, so be it.]

Your turn raise is appropriate. I doubt he'll call your raise based on his betting pattern. You certainly don't want to give him another "free" crack and spiking an A.

If you truly believe SB is reraising preflop with solid holdings, then I would reraise him right there.

Garland

betgo
10-03-2004, 07:07 AM
I would reraise preflop. The reraise to a late position raise probably doesn't represent a big pair. You have to assume KK is the best hand. If you are up against aces, so be it. I wouldn't give 3 free cards.

mdrudeen
10-03-2004, 01:54 PM
I would have reraised pre-flop also but what really concerns me is the flop play. You have no redraw if a third diamond
falls. I would always bet more than the pot here to make a draw incorrect on villans part. Othewise you are just asking to have your Kings cracked.

Then again I may be seeing monsters under the bed

DougBrennan
10-03-2004, 03:14 PM
Che,

I think the pre-flop call is fine, particularly with position. But I believe I'd raise the flop, to 2000 or so, to see what he thought about those two eights.

I don't much care for your all-in raise on the turn. You say he's definitely solid: he's put money in the pot at every opportunity so I don't think he's going away, which leaves you hoping he's playing some kind of pocket pair that you can beat--the low end of your read. (Note: the fact that I don't like your all-in here is not to imply that I've never made that kind of bet myself.)

I struggled with the above paragraph, because of this nagging thought: I don't advocate folding at the turn, if you flat-call you're probably committed to calling his big river bet, and any lesser turn-raise from you is pointless.

All of which leads me back to raising the flop--gotta do it.

I hope I'm way off here (wouldn't be the first time) and that you trapped him into giving you all his chips with a pair of tens.

Doug

woodguy
10-03-2004, 03:50 PM
I don't mind the PF call as it disguises your hand and you have position. (of course if an A falls you kick yourself in the ass, but it didn't)

His flop bet looks like he's on a diamond draw and is unsure what to do with the lead, or he has an overpair and is trying to get you to come over the top.

I probably would have raised the pot on the flop.(but I tend to see monsters under the bed on 2 to a flush board)

Another weak bet on the turn demands a raise, you are probably still good, but the pots big enough to take down now.

Flop call is a little iffy, but it looks like you milked another 1500 out of it.

So, what happened?

Regards,
Woodguy

Che
10-04-2004, 04:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Blinds 75/150. Folded to me in the CO. I have K K . I have 11222 and make it 400.

Folded to SB who has 8012 after posting. He makes it 800.

BB folds. I call the extra 400.

Flop: 8 8 5 (Pot: 1750)

Villain bets 800. I call.

Turn: 9 (Pot: 3350)

Villain bets 1500, leaving him 5062. I push in.

[/ QUOTE ]

He went to his time bank before finally folding.

As I type, I think the PF call is fine but a raise on the flop should have been made. Still not sure, though...ask me again in 5 minutes. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thanks to all who responded,
Che