PDA

View Full Version : PL HE River Decision

10-28-2001, 09:24 PM
½ PL HE game 10 handed.

In this game there is one hyper aggressive player and 2/3 very aggressive players all playing large stacks. The average pot size in this game has been +$140 with pots >$500 not uncommon. A few of the players including me have been playing ultra tight because they know it is very likely you will be putting your whole stack in.

I am in the BB and get dealt Qc Jh

UTG (normal player) calls

MP (normal player) calls

Cutoff and button (aggressive players) call

SB (hyper aggressive) call

I check

Flop Qs Jc 6h

SB checks

I check because I am sure that one of the two aggressive players on the end will bet the flop and I will check raise.

All check to the button who bets pot ($12)

SB folds

I check raise pot ($48)

Cutoff and button call

The stack sizes before the hand were Me $465, Cutoff $673, Button $701

Turn 8c

I bet pot ($156)

Cutoff folds button call

River 6c

What do I do?

P.S. If I check I think that the player is aggressive enough to bet with almost anything

10-28-2001, 10:55 PM
It looks like check-calling is probably your best line of play on the river.

10-29-2001, 03:22 PM
Check-call of course.

He MAY have been drawing to the T9 baby straight and made it on the turn, but the action on the turn seems to indicate otherwise. The fact that he called the turn means he had a weak holding like top pair, or was on a draw.

If you bet and get called, you almost certainly cannot win. Check, and let him bet, giving yourself a big chance to win. This kind of player will probably bet top pair if you check.

Right now, you can lose to T9, a runner-runner flush, a set, KK, AA, an anything with a six. Which of these hands do you think he might have, judging from the action? I would say none of them. Check, induce a bluff, and take down the pot. If he DOES happen to have a big hand, oh well, you will win in this situation most of the time.

I am assuming your question was about the dilemma of betting or check-calling? If you were even thinking of folding in this spot, against a hyper-aggressive player, then you are insane. /images/smile.gif

On note, after a couple times of check-calling the river with a good hand against this guy, you should bet out on the river next time. After that, bet out on the river as a bluff. Mix it up, but mix it up properly, in a way to exploit his perception of you.

natedogg

10-29-2001, 11:14 PM
I decided that since I believed that I was going to be forced to commit all my chips I would bet. He called and flipped over 7c 5c.

10-30-2001, 02:37 AM
I decided that since I believed that I was going to be forced to commit all my chips I would bet.

This is extremely faulty reasoning that some beginning players get trapped by.

If you are going to call anyway, check and give him room to bluff a worse hand. By betting, you can usually only get called by a better hand.

natedogg