PDA

View Full Version : Was I too meek here with my pocket pair?

Relentless
10-03-2004, 01:19 AM
I think lately I haven't been playing very agressive and was thinking I should have been able to extract more money from this hand. What do you think?

Texas Hold'em $1-$2 NL at Poker room 10 handed

BB ($14)
UTG ($11.50)
MP1 ($50.50)
MP2 ($111.50)
MP3 ($80.50)
MP4 ($58)
MP5 ($98
Hero ($69.25)
Button ($146.50)
SB ($54.25)

Preflop: Flop Flop Hero is in cutoff with Q /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP2 bets $3, MP3 folds, MP4 folds, MP5 folds, Hero calls $3, Button folds, SB calls $2.50, BB calls $2.

Flop /images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],J /images/graemlins/spade.gif,4 /images/graemlins/club.gif ]
SB bets $3, BB folds, MP1 folds, Hero bets $9, SB calls $6.

[b]Turn /images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],J /images/graemlins/spade.gif,4 /images/graemlins/club.gif,8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif ]
SB checks, Hero checks.

[b]River /images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],J /images/graemlins/spade.gif,4 /images/graemlins/club.gif,8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif,3 /images/graemlins/club.gif]
SB bets $6, Hero calls $6.

[b]Showdown
SB shows [ A /images/graemlins/club.gif,J /images/graemlins/heart.gif ]
Hero shows [ Q /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif ]
Hero wins $40.

Relentless
10-03-2004, 01:33 AM
Looking at it now I think I should have raised more than to 9.

LokiV
10-03-2004, 02:37 AM
Raising more than the 9 seems pointless, if he doesn't have a piece of the flop or a higher PP then he will fold.

Reraising preflop is a good idea to see where you stand, I would lay this down if reraised again from there.

Checking the turn because of a 'scare' card is a bad and unthinking play. Your opponent is much more likely showing weakness than attempting to trap you, if he would aggressively bet on the flop he wouldn't check now.

I'm also confused, the BB is listed as $2 yet someone raised it to $3? Or the BB was $1 and you had a typo? Very confusing as the big blind is only calling down $2 so it seems the BB is $1.

In short you were too passive preflop, fine on the flop and made the completely wrong play on the turn. The question of whether or not your opponent has an overpair to yours needs to be answered as soon as possible.

Relentless
10-03-2004, 03:14 AM
Well the BB posted $1, then called $2 more to make it $3.

LokiV
10-03-2004, 03:34 AM
So it's $.5/1, you just had it mislabeled.

Relentless
10-03-2004, 03:39 AM
No, pokerroom is wierd, the blinds are always half but then after it's normal....I really dont know why it's like that or why I keep playing with it.

AncientPC
10-03-2004, 06:41 AM
Pre-flop: Reraise to $6 or $9.

Flop: Fine.

Turn: Bet at least half pot (~$15).

River: If he calls the turn bet, check / call a small bet (small in relation to pot).