View Full Version : Guns

juanez
10-03-2004, 01:08 AM
What's your favorite firearm?

I'm a pistol aficionado and have several in my safe. I haven't hunted in over a decade, but I do own a few rifles and shotguns as well. Sporting clays is a GREAT time.

For carry: (yes, I have a concealed carry permit)
My #1 favorite is the Taurus Model 415 .44 special snub, DAO, ported, concealed hammer. I never leave the house without this baby. The .44 special round scared the $hit out of me the first time I shot it out of this little 2" barrel. I thought the barrel exploded. The flame is about a foot long (I love it). The concealed hammer is sweet – just slip this little unit into your pants pocket and have no fear about a mis-fire.

#2 favorite for carry is the PPK .380. The old tried and true, but I have found that it's impossible to perform the remarkable feats of long range marksmanship that James Bond seems to do effortlessly and repeatedly. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I prefer the Taurus simply because it's a revolver and, therefore, a more reliable weapon for concealed carry.

For the range:
#1 Favorite is my S&W Model 66 .357 magnum (6 inch barrel). Smoothest revolver I've ever owned. There’s just something about a .357 mag too.

For home protection:
#1 is the Smith 66 again, simply for the reliability of a revolver and the size of the round. If a .357 hits some scumbag breaking into my house, it's over for his sorry ass. Never compromise when it comes to protecting your family.

#2 for the house is the 12 gauge with 00 buckshot. No need to explain the effectiveness against an intruder. I had to put down a coyote this spring that was mauling one of my dogs – too easy (my dog survived after a $200 vet bill). Haven’t had a coyote issue since. I guess the rest of the pack got the message after I let the corpse rot for a few days in the forest before I got rid of it.

My most recent purchase was the CZ-75BD. Very cool semi-auto 9mm for the price ($350 - $400) and it has a decocker, which I love for safety. This is a Czech made pistol and the same sidearm carried by Czech NATO forces. I've run a few thousand rounds through this one and never had one jam.

Next purchase (when poker bankroll bloats enough) will be a Kimber 1911 .45ACP. Can't wait to get my hands on one of these Cadillacs.

Clarkmeister
10-03-2004, 01:41 AM
I don't have one and don't plan to, so I'll vote none of the above.

HDPM can give you some good feedback though. He's way into this stuff. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jimbo
10-03-2004, 01:43 AM
My Favorite (http://www.serbu.com/shorty.htm)

Jimbo

HDPM
10-03-2004, 11:17 AM
We have opposite tastes. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I have a snub, but it is a smith airweight. I like it. Used to have a taurus or two, but then realized there is only one brand of revolver. I want the gun zee raved about - the new titanium concealed hammer .357 smith came out with. It is much smaller than your taurus and packs a lot more punch. I don't go for porting or anything on a carry gun either. Of course, if you like the taurus and carry it, it will work just fine, nitpicky things notwithstanding.

I hate the PPK. Big, heavy, bad trigger, and recoils like a bastard. I love those perfect parallel cuts you get on your hand from the slide rails. For a small caliber I like the kel tecs in .32 or .380. Smaller, better trigger, very light, and more pleasant to practice with. Those are much easier to conceal. A PPK is as hard to conceal as many 9's, so you might as well carry a small 9 that is more reliable. (Both PPK and kel tecs need some work sometimes)

I hate Kimbers. The worst gun I ever saw was a Kimber. It jammed every shot. Literally every shot. They let a one shot pistol out of the factory. And that was with hardball and Wilson mags. Their customer service was rancid. Fortunately it was not mine, but I shot the thing with my friend who bought it and then laughed at him as he tried to call the company and get it fixed. Hilarious phone calls. He got smart and got a springfield instead. Zeno was smart and got a springfield with novak night sights. I am dumb and don't have a 1911. But when I get one it will be a springfield. Wilson mags. And I will get after market custom grips from a place near me. Kimber? No thanks. The gun has to run perfect out of the box IMO. Springfield delivers. But other people seem to like kimber, so maybe you will get a decent one.

And I prefer my classic hi-power to your CZ. No decocker. No grip safety. John Browning's most refined design. Only flaw IMO is the magazine safety. Pleasant to shoot, best ergonomics on a full size pistol IMO. For modern design pistols with decockers and such I favor the HKs. They are ugly and chunky, but are utterly reliable and have the best designed safety/decock system going IMO.

Of course, in the end you can just get a glock or two and forget it. Maybe the perfect all around pistol. But it is more fun to buy stuff you don't need and will never carry. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

HDPM
10-03-2004, 11:22 AM
The sad thing is that I'm not all that into it. You should see the real whackos. Check out gun boards where they discuss which gun you answer the door with or which gun you keep in the shower. Makes you think about gun control.
/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jimbo
10-03-2004, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
which gun you answer the door with

[/ QUOTE ]

HDPM, I nearly always answer the door with my pistol handy. You never know when you might get an opportunity to either eliminate a Holy Roller or better yet a Liberal wanting to place political signs in your yard. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh Yeah, I love my 9mm Beretta. I am thinking about getting a little derringer for close contact self defense. Got any recommendations for one of those?

Jimbo

Slacker13
10-03-2004, 02:11 PM
I own a Glock 17 which stays in my vehicle, I have a Colt AR-15 which I take to the outdoor range as often as possible because it's damn fun to shoot. I also have a 22 rifle which I also play with at the range and I have a S&W 40 cal that's in my wifes vehicle, and Beretta 9mm for the house.
The AR-15 is by far my favorite, it has the competition barrel on it and is very accurate. The Glock 17 is the older model with the high capacity clip and is also a lot of fun to shoot.

Zeno
10-03-2004, 02:25 PM
As HDPM mentioned, I purchased a Springfield 1911 and I love it. It functions great and has a lifetime warranty on the frame. Got the Wilson mag (8-shot) and I hit everything I aim at. I have shot a Kimber 1911 and I think the Springfield is a better firearm at least for me. The Novak night sights are an excellent touch and the pleasant green glow is just the right intensity for sighting down a scumbag and ventilating their body with large slugs of lead.

I have a mossberg pump action 12-guage with an 18-inch barrel for around the house use. I keep it loaded with 2-3/4 inch shells with BB size shot. I have 8 rounds to work with and it will all be close quarters so that should be good enough, besides 3-inch magnum rounds kick a bit too much for quick and dirty in the home work, IMO.

A work buddy of mine has a model 66 S&W and he loves it. He sold most of his guns but keep that one for all around use.

I also have a 9mm Beretta that I enjoy shooting.

Happy shooting.

-Zeno

cardcounter0
10-03-2004, 02:45 PM
My favorite gun is a Korean War Surplus .30 cal M1 carbine.
Bought it at a Govt. Auction for like $90 during the Reagan Admin. It came with a instruction manual printed in Spanish. Hmmmmmm...

Just fun to shoot.

Favorite handgun is a .357 Ruger Security Six with a 6" Colt Python Vent Rib barrel stuck on it. 2 lb. trigger pull.

For everyday use, I just stick with my pocket sized Glock.

SmileyEH
10-03-2004, 02:45 PM
You guys are crazy....

-SmileyEH

ps. yes I am a flaming canadian liberal

benfranklin
10-03-2004, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You guys are crazy....

[/ QUOTE ]

You're insulting people with guns, and you call us crazy /images/graemlins/confused.gif

An armed society is a polite society. --Robert Heinlein

wacki
10-03-2004, 03:11 PM
I only shoot targets, and prefer the long range or clay pigeon rifles/shotguns. Occasionally I will shoot a muzzle loader or WWII weapon with my dad. (He is a history buff)

For clays, I like a good old fashioned double barreled shotgun. Particularly, a Briley 30" damascus, they are absolutely beautiful.

For target, I'm still playing around, but I like the HK PSG1, and a few bolt actions as well.

I will never own a handgun because I think they are just too dangerous. You always know if someone is carrying a clay pigeon shotgun or even an assault rifle, not so with a handgun. It's just my view. But I do really like the Walther P99, and the brutally effective 5.7mm FN Five Seven.

Fun ones to look at:
HK G36, SIG SAUER 551, FN P90, SPAS-12 (cool shotgun in Jurassic Park)

Ray Zee
10-03-2004, 03:11 PM
you are right smiley these guys are nuts.
when the right guns are the s&w 340 pd. weighs 12oz. and shoots 357. and fits in all your jeans pockets with no hammer to catch. for raw power a 44 mag. mountain revolver s&w, carries fine and stops anything stupid enough to face it, if you have the right bullets. for the car a glock 19 with 18 round magazines so you dont run out of rounds like the cops use to do and lose. or the 44. as it goes through anything metal you might be fighting like a car door.
for the house whatever you can handle in tight quarters and is available in the places you will likely need it in the event your life is at stake. which is unlikely as they will go and find the andy fox''s who readily succumb.
then pratice and be able to find and operate your weapon in complete darkness or with any hand. carry a long gun or shotgun muzzle low as then if grabbed you can lower the but and fire rathert than being disarmed

benfranklin
10-03-2004, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Check out gun boards where they discuss which gun you answer the door with or which gun you keep in the shower. Makes you think about gun control.

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer a scuba spear gun for the shower. For a bath, I keep a KelTec .32 floating on top of my rubber ducky.

The real scary ones on the gun boards are the ones who like to discuss in detail what they should keep in their BOBs (bug-out bags), that they keep ready so they can grab them and head for the hills WTSHTF (when the sh!t hits the fan).

wacki
10-03-2004, 03:37 PM
I don't use guns for self protection, nor would I ever want to.

But I don't see anything psycho about owning one of these:

http://www.briley.com/firearms/images/double_intro.jpg

I understand your point, and I don't own a handgun, nor do I intend to. But I do marvel just about anything that is well made or engineered. Be it a Formula 1 car, a Paul Reed Smith (http://www.prsguitars.com/) , or wine. I also enjoy anything outdoorsy such as fishing, camping, hiking, archery, and clay pigeon shooting.

I forget which country it was, but there is a country in europe that everyone, by law, has an assault rifle. Their defense is made up of citizen soldiers. I think it might be sweden or switzerland. That country just had it's first bank robbery a few years ago, and it was done by a tourist.

Just food for thought.

benfranklin
10-03-2004, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I hate the PPK. Big, heavy, bad trigger, and recoils like a bastard. I love those perfect parallel cuts you get on your hand from the slide rails.

I hate Kimbers.

And I prefer my classic hi-power to your CZ. No decocker. No grip safety. John Browning's most refined design. Only flaw IMO is the magazine safety.

Of course, in the end you can just get a glock or two and forget it. Maybe the perfect all around pistol. But it is more fun to buy stuff you don't need and will never carry. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The DA trigger on the PPK is awful, but it certainly discourages accidental discharges. The scars from the slide are an old school badge of honor.

I have 2 Kimbers and have never had a single jam or malfunction. My small Kimber fits nicely in the center console of my Jeep.

The HiPower is a classic. No hardware junkie should be without one. The mag safety can be removed without special tools. You can download instructions from the net.

Glocks are a separate breed. Most people love them or hate them. I had a Glock and traded it in on a SIG P229. Only gun I ever got rid of, and no regrets. Just didn't like the feel and the trigger. (And the occasional tendancy of .40 Glocks to go kaBoom!)

wacki
10-03-2004, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I prefer a scuba spear gun for the shower. For a bath, I keep a KeleTc .32 floating on top of my rubber ducky.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny

[ QUOTE ]
The real scary ones on the gun boards are the ones who like to discuss in detail what they should keep in their BOBs (bug-out bags), that they keep ready so they can grab them and head for the hills WTSHTF (when the sh!t hits the fan).

[/ QUOTE ]

That is disturbing. I wonder what % of those are visited by the ATF.

busguy
10-03-2004, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I own a Glock 17 which stays in my vehicle, I have a Colt AR-15 which I take to the outdoor range as often as possible because it's damn fun to shoot. I also have a 22 rifle which I also play with at the range and I have a S&W 40 cal that's in my wifes vehicle, and Beretta 9mm for the house.
The AR-15 is by far my favorite, it has the competition barrel on it and is very accurate. The Glock 17 is the older model with the high capacity clip and is also a lot of fun to shoot.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMFG am I glad I live in Canada . . . just ask Micheal Moore

/images/graemlins/smile.gif busguy

busguy
10-03-2004, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Check out gun boards where they discuss which gun you answer the door with or which gun you keep in the shower. Makes you think about gun control.

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer a scuba spear gun for the shower. For a bath, I keep a KelTec .32 floating on top of my rubber ducky.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFLMAO

/images/graemlins/grin.gif busguy

whiskeytown
10-03-2004, 06:30 PM
Right now, every gun I own comes from Dad in MT - My first was a little turn of the century 5 shot '38 revolver - little gun but pretty decent - had 3 notches in the handle and was found in a ditch between Kalispell and Libby... (so I heard from the Vietnam Vet who gave it to dad and vice versa)

well, it sorta spit a bit of lead (I think I had wrong cartridges) but Dad came up with something else - a Colt Anaconda - '44 Magnun - and the guy who did the reloads musta did em for bears or something, cause at the gun range you feel it two booths down.

Should I ever need to defend myself in my apt...I only have to fire once - even if I miss, the resulting flash and sonic boom will clear out the house faster then a fart clears the elevator. (the same also works for the pump action on a 12 gauge - the sound alone can drive out intruders)

but last week, Dad called - asked if I was interested in snagging an AK-47 now that they're being imported again...so I'm working on that - so when the commies invade, they won't know who's shooting at them...eh?

RB

MitchVW
10-03-2004, 07:34 PM
As of right now, I own a Kel-Tec P11 in hard chrome finish, and a Ruger 10/22 for plinking...I orginally bought the P11 for a carry gun, but will probably get a Glock 23 for that once I get my license.

I almost bought a SKS from a buddy today just b.c I had the money on me, $100 with a whole bunch of extras...

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
10-03-2004, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
or the 44. as it goes through anything metal you might be fighting like a car door.

[/ QUOTE ]
When facing the mighty car door in combat, my favorite weopon is still the pick axe.

whiskeytown
10-03-2004, 07:44 PM
My Dad has an SKS - I fired it a few times...

nice gun...hard to believe the Germans almost kicked the Russians's asses in WWII.

RB

wacki
10-03-2004, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
or the 44. as it goes through anything metal you might be fighting like a car door.

[/ QUOTE ]
When facing the mighty car door in combat, my favorite weopon is still the pick axe.

[/ QUOTE ]

When facing an icicle my roommate prefers a machette!

Coldsteel baby! (More ways then one)

http://parazen.bio.indiana.edu/zolan/Dan_Ice.jpg

juanez
10-03-2004, 08:13 PM
Hey Ray,
I was showing a house today (I'm a Realtor) in the mountains of CO where I live and saw picture of a mountain scene witha caption that read:
"If you're lucky enough to live in the mountains, you're lucky enough". I agree. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

wacki
10-03-2004, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My Dad has an SKS - I fired it a few times...

nice gun...hard to believe the Germans almost kicked the Russians's asses in WWII.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

The LaGG-3 was the russian fighter and was dubbed the 'Guaranteed Varnished Coffin' by it's pilots.

And then there is the badass MP45
http://www.angelfire.com/pa5/germanassaultrifles/home.html

If it wasn't for the Russian winter, and the lone british pilot accidently dropping bombs on Berlin.... who knows.

juanez
10-03-2004, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in the hills already - 9,000 feet in the middle of nowhere, my entire house is my BOB. /images/graemlins/cool.gif My dogs freak out if there's a car coming and it's a mile away. Best alarm system in the world.

There are rumors that there are some wacko's up here who have plans in place for WTSHTF, like blocking roads from Denver and not letting anyone up here unless they have a driver's license with an address up here, big caliber sniper positions at certain switchbacks, etc. Definitly scary folks if the rumors are true. I think it's total bull$hit. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

juanez
10-03-2004, 08:50 PM
Yeah, the PPK is a bear to shoot and I do have the scars. What I do like is that it's flat as a pancake and isn't noticable under my suit, unlike a bulging revolver. It's also comfortable when I wear it inside my pants on my lower back, again unlike a revolver. I should probably sell it and get something more reliable. There are some pretty nice, small 9mm's and .40's out there these days.

Kimbers: wow, I have heard very few complaints about Kimbers and only read good things. Springfields are definitly tried and true and probably a better value for the price. The M1911-A1 is SWEEEEEET!

Glocks....meh. They don't suit me personally.

juanez
10-03-2004, 08:54 PM

juanez
10-03-2004, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I forget which country it was, but there is a country in europe that everyone, by law, has an assault rifle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it's Israel that has this policy, but I could be wrong on that. Makes sense though with all the BS goin on over there. If some Palestinian Buttwad starts up, he's instantly surrounded by armed citizens. They still need to plug his ass before he hits the detonator....

HDPM
10-03-2004, 09:16 PM
Yeah, PPKs are flat and look cool. But if you have a suit and have to have a holster to support the weight it is almost as easy to carry something a little bigger. Love the keltecs in a suit. Flat, light, discrete. An excellent pistol for when you just want something in a pocket with no hassle or are going places where you have to leave it in the car or something. You can put it in the console without people seeing you have it. BTW, I was very happy that your state now recognizes my state's permits. A big improvement.

Ray Zee
10-03-2004, 09:41 PM
switzerland also requires that all adults possess and take instruction in the use of firearms. mostly or only rifles i think. not too many murders there. its more to do with mindset rahter than what you are holding.

whiskeytown
10-03-2004, 10:14 PM
also keeps you from being invaded by Nazi bootthugs who invaded/absorbed/converted virtually every other country in Europe besides Sweden and the Vatican.

RB

wacki
10-03-2004, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its more to do with mindset rahter than what you are holding.

[/ QUOTE ]

But what you are holding might change one's mindset, for better or for worse.

Filip
10-03-2004, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(And the occasional tendancy of .40 Glocks to go kaBoom!)

[/ QUOTE ]

What? I own a glock .40 never heard that.

benfranklin
10-04-2004, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb.html

For the uninitiated, a kaBoom, or kB!, is when a round explodes in the chamber, aka a "catastrophic explosive event". See pics at above site.

This is a very emotional issue. Glock zealots say it never happens, but OK, when it does happen it is the fault of the ammo. Most agree that it can happen in any gun, but is more likely to happen in Glocks, particularly 1st generation .40 S&W and .45 ACP Glocks, and particularly when shooting unjacketed bullets and/or reloads. First generation large caliber Glocks, such as the Model 22, did not have full case support over the feed ramp. Glock did some work on this in later design changes, reducing the problem. While poo-pooing the problem, many Glock owners replace the factory barrel with a custom barrel with better case support.

Filip
10-04-2004, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb.html

For the uninitiated, a kaBoom, or kB!, is when a round explodes in the chamber, aka a "catastrophic explosive event". See pics at above site.

This is a very emotional issue. Glock zealots say it never happens, but OK, when it does happen it is the fault of the ammo. Most agree that it can happen in any gun, but is more likely to happen in Glocks, particularly 1st generation .40 S&W and .45 ACP Glocks, and particularly when shooting unjacketed bullets and/or reloads. First generation large caliber Glocks, such as the Model 22, did not have full case support over the feed ramp. Glock did some work on this in later design changes, reducing the problem. While poo-pooing the problem, many Glock owners replace the factory barrel with a custom barrel with better case support.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info. Damn i am using imported shells from the US that i loaded with unjacketed bullets. The choice of .40 instead 9mm was VERY stupid of me but i was young and planned on competing in practical shooting until i realised the cost of doing that at a competativ level.

nef
10-04-2004, 06:31 PM
I like my HK USP in .40 S&W. The neat thing with the USP is there are different configurations available for the safety/decock. It can be carried in condition one, which is another bonus. My main problem with it is the DA trigger pull is kinda lousy (or should I say my aim is lousy using the DA pull). Got some snap caps the other day to practice at home. As far as kabooms go, a gun with a polymer frame like a glock is more likely to go kaboom than a steel frame. I've seen some photos of a blown up USP as well. I think its very rare.

I shot a BHP recently and loved it. Next on my list I think. I want a 1911 as well but I am waiting until I find a good deal on a Colt Series 70. Maybe this weekend at the Kane County gun show /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

benfranklin
10-04-2004, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've seen some photos of a blown up USP as well. I think its very rare.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/hk-kb.html