PDA

View Full Version : Game Selection

sammy_g
10-02-2004, 11:00 PM
Can anyone recommend a good strategy for game selection at 5/10 6 max? It strikes me that game selection is much more important at this limit than, say, 2/4 where pretty much any game is good.

When I play 2/4, I sort by pot size and try to get into the games with the bigger pots. I'm not sure this is the correct strategy for 5/10 since the larger pots are more likely to come from aggressive play.

I've also noticed that just having one bad player in your game can make the 6 max games very profitable, even if the other players play well.

ctv1116
10-02-2004, 11:11 PM
Basically, I just look for tables with lots of preflop calls. This usually indicates loose-passive players, and that's always a good thing.

Dov
10-03-2004, 01:57 AM
If you see people cold calling PF and not check raising or trapping later, you have found short handed fish. (in general) If they do this more than once or twice an hour (barring a scary board) you can usually take everything they sit down at the table with.

Aggression is much more dangerous short handed than in a full game. Passiveness will get you broke quickly.

Big Bend
10-03-2004, 07:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you see people cold calling PF and not check raising or trapping later, you have found short handed fish. (in general) If they do this more than once or twice an hour (barring a scary board) you can usually take everything they sit down at the table with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, except for those days when the cold calling fish keep sucking out on you with their K-5, J-3 and 4-6 hands that take 50 BBs in 2 hours.... which happened to me earlier today. What a frustrating game at times.

Still I agree you want to see a table with people cold calling raises, hopefully with junk. Works out in the end.

kiddo
10-03-2004, 09:31 AM
Do you have Pokertracker? With the new version you can just open 4 tables at Party Poker and download the info into Pokertracker. This way you can much faster then before get notes on the other players. (export notes from Pokertracker to Party Poker)

Basically what you want is someone coming in with to many hands (above 35%), not to much raising preflop, not to much aggression at any street (aggression factor below 1.5 at any street), not to much checkraising specially on turn (if you are multitabling this will put you in a lot of tricky decisions), and to much calling.

There is no easy way to spot these players (if u aint got stats on them) but I agree with other posters, coldcalling preflop is always a good sign of a bad player. Also, people not betting there overcards and not betting small pairs is very good (they never try to "steal" the pot).

MAxx
10-03-2004, 11:59 AM
i am assuming that your reference to players seeing flopps above 35% is including play from the blinds. what percentage or range would you consider solid players seeing the flops?

NoTalent
10-03-2004, 08:15 PM
oh wow, I just found out about the PT export notes feature /images/graemlins/blush.gif