PDA

View Full Version : Botched Jacks

dfscott
10-02-2004, 07:33 PM
I had to fold the turn, since it's obvious that MP2 has the straight flush.

Seriously, I think my turn fold was horrible, but if we assume I stayed in to see the river, what's my line there?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (14 SB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds.

Turn: (9 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero folds, UTG+2 folds.

River: (11 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 15 BB, between MP2 and MP3.</font>

thirddan
10-02-2004, 08:59 PM
what was it about the flop action that made you check the turn?

dfscott
10-02-2004, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what was it about the flop action that made you check the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

With that many callers, I'd decided that I was behind to a K and was ready to call down. The flush board just seemed to make it worse.

thirddan
10-02-2004, 09:46 PM
i think thatt if you are going to check the turn then you should call a bet since you have picked up a decent, but not great one card flush draw, and since the pot is pretty big i think it is worth at least seeing the river...

elindauer
10-02-2004, 09:56 PM
Your turn fold is certainly not horrible. I think you're probably ahead on the flop, as many players raise hands as good as top pair. The flush card is scary, but on the other hand, many players raise flush draws.

I'm somewhat inclined to bet the turn, as I think there's a decent chance JJ is still good and it'll often get checked through if it is. Since I'm likely to feel obligated to call anyways with what may be the best hand and may be the best draw, I prefer to stay aggressive. That said, strangely, your opponents passive play on the flop has made this hand very awkward for you, and I don't fault a check-fold here.

Good luck.
Eric

lil'
10-02-2004, 11:26 PM
You have to bet this turn. You may still be ahead, and giving a free card on this board is inviting disaster.