PDA

View Full Version : PT vs. Statking???!

Jimbolito
10-02-2004, 06:45 PM
Iīm thinkin about buying statking to keep a record of my sessions. Previously Iīve used a program called Pokerjournal wich is quite basic, only keeps a record of wins/losses + a bit more. And I guess statking is quite the same, isnīt it?

But thatīs the thing, Iīm not sure I wanna get PT altough I know itīs a great program. Do you really need this to be a succesfull Pokerplayer at the higher limits? When I say higher I mean like 15-30$, 20-40$, and maybe 30-60$.

Keeping a record of your wins/losses is a must, but I feel thereīs a lot more work to do if you get PT, like importing handhistories after every session and theres like a ton of information to take advantage of from what Iīve seen in the demo version. But again, is it a must?

Anyone out there playin at the higher limits that arent using PT? That only keeps a track of your winrate??

And finaly, whatīs your opinion about Statking?

Thanx//Jc. 3-6$ player.

Blarg
10-03-2004, 01:43 AM
First of all, Statking has a demo version, so you can check it out before you buy.

Second, you can always do well without Pokertracker, but why be without every advantage possible? It's only $55. If you're talking about playing 15/30 etc, what's a lousy $55? Even at 1/2 it pays for itself.

It's not that much work to use at all. It automates importing of hand histories. Figuring out what to do with the information isn't something instinctive for most people, but you'll figure out plenty of it pretty fast, and these forums are full of threads you can read on Pokertracker, and full of users who can answer questions about it. Can it be a little overwhelming at first? A bit. But information is money in the bank. Besides, would you turn down a million bucks because it's too much money? Same with info.

Download the demo versions of Statking and Pokertracker and take a look for yourself. You can import 1000 hands into the PT demo.

Meanwhile, start requesting your hand histories NOW. Even if you don't get Pokertracker for weeks or months, it will be a huge boon to you to have access to the data you saved, and a terrible shame to have lost it.

Jimbolito
10-03-2004, 11:25 AM
Thanx for the reply, but another thing. Ivīe heard that you have to register again if you format your computer or buys another one, that you cannot use the reg.code again, true?? Would get quite expensive in the long run, aint it?

And whre can I find the demo version of statking?

Thanx//Jc.

Kluddeludde
10-03-2004, 12:16 PM
If you somehow "lost" your pokertracker (e.g. formatting, buying a new computer, etc.) you will get a new registration code for free.

Kludde

imported_Chuck Weinstock
10-03-2004, 12:37 PM
You can find a demo of the current version of StatKing at http://www.conjelco.com/downloads/

Chuck

Jimbolito
10-03-2004, 12:52 PM
Thanx for your replys. I also wonder about automatic import of handhistories. If I remember it right you gotta have a POP3-mail or something like that, I guess it is something like outlook, right?

And at last, if I get a new computer, then I have to reimport all of my old handhist. is that a easy thing to do?I mean if you have thousands of thousands of hands? The reason I ask is cuz I will get a new computer in about a year and wanna know right now if PT is worth gettin now. So all my work isnīt in vain when I get my new computer.

Thatīs all I think, thank U again for your replys.

//Jc.

thirddan
10-03-2004, 05:54 PM
i format my computer every couple months to keep the performance high, and PT has sent me 4/5 new reg codes with no problem...

Blarg
10-04-2004, 02:50 AM
You don't need PoP3. That does make things much easier though.

But I imported my first 50,000 hands manually. You can just reques a site to send you your hands 100 at a time, and then cut and past them into a .txt file with Notepad like I did, then import them. A little tedious, but handhistories are very worthwhile. It's worth it.

After a year, what you do is just copy over your databases to your new installation. You can make lots of databases or just keep one, it's up to you. I make one for each poker site I go to.

Also, at Party and its skins, hand histories can be stored locally on your disk and imported into Pokertracker from there, all automated. I started doing things manually like I described, with the cutting and pasting of 100 hands at a time, then upgraded my Yahoo account so I could do PoP3 e-mail and automate the imports, and now with the latest patch, auto-import right from the stored histories on my hard disk.

If you don't want to do any work, nobody can force you. But you won't find many people on these forums who don't think Pokertracker is worth the effort and the let's face it trivial amount of money. That's less than two BB's at 15/30. And there isn't much work to do anyway. I just play poker and let Pokertracker update itself in the background. Even my crummy old dial-up modem and 1.7 Pentium doesn't have any problem doing it. It's just not a big deal.