PDA

View Full Version : *

kerssens
10-02-2004, 06:40 PM
Does one of those belong next to Ichiro's record? I'm getting tired of Rick Reilly and Joe Morgan talking about the difference between Ichiro and Sisler's record. Jim Brown played in less games per season and Payton and Smith are clearly recognized without debate for having more rushing yards. I could be wrong but doesn't the record say "most hits in a single season"? Well right now its 259 and counting.

Clarkmeister
10-02-2004, 06:44 PM
I think the * should belong to any record that was set pre-integration. That's almost certainly a bigger help than 5% more games.

crash
10-02-2004, 06:54 PM
No * should be added.

Reilly got it wrong. He arbitrarily decided that "no. of games in a season" was the deciding factor when determining the worthiness of the "hits in a season" record.

Look, if you're trying to compare Sisler and Ich to figure out which accomplishment is more impressive, you can point to tons of factors. As someone pointed out in another thread, what about the absence of black pitchers for Sisler? Lack of fresh-armed relievers? Why not just count at bats? What if someone broke Sisler's record in the same amount of games, but had many more at bats, because his team was so much better? Do we put an asterisk there?

I mean, jeez, put * in there if you want to explain, but Reilly sounds like an idiot to me. Long live Ichiro.

If I were going to try to judge which season is more impressive (Sisler's or Ich's), I would look at how far ahead each was of his closest competitor, % wise.

sfer
10-02-2004, 07:09 PM
This will never happen given the sepia-toned reverence felt toward pre-1950s baseball, but I agree wholeheartedly.

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-02-2004, 07:29 PM
I'm with you 100%. On that note, have you ever been to the Negro League Museum in KC?