PDA

View Full Version : Newspole, Kerry takes lead over Bush

Non_Comformist
10-02-2004, 06:28 PM
Newsweek came out with a new pole today and for the first time since the Conventions Kerry has taken a 49-46 lead over President Bush.

It appears I was dead wrong on the affects of the debate. This, if true, is extremely bad news for Bush as the viewership and coverage of subsequent debates should decline and the issues (domestic, economy) favor Kerry.

I'm not what if anything President Bush can do at this point to regain the momentum.

tolbiny
10-02-2004, 07:01 PM
catch bin laden and its a lock for Bush.

The_Tracker
10-02-2004, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
catch bin laden and its a lock for Bush.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not going to happen. If I were guessing I would say bin laden has died or was killed.

vulturesrow
10-03-2004, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is not going to happen. If I were guessing I would say bin laden has died or was killed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with Tracker on this one.

nothumb
10-03-2004, 02:11 AM
Don't think this is what they're saying over in Pakistan or the US military. Why do you guys think this? Just cause we haven't heard from him in a while... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

I still won't be surprised if they nab him in mid-October.

NT

MMMMMM
10-03-2004, 03:22 AM
If he died even of natural causes I suspect his lunatic fanatical supporters would find a way to make a martyr out of him and the world would hear about it through al-Jazeera.

nothumb
10-03-2004, 04:04 AM
LOL, sounds good! "Our fearless leader finally succumbed to the decay of kidneys that was a sign of Allah's blessing and the burden of a great leader. The dialysis machine manufactured by the infidels showed its true spirit and murdered this saint as he lay stricken."

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

NT

Matty
10-03-2004, 06:49 AM
I wonder what Gore thinks about all of this.

After watching that debate, I feel like I could beat Bush in a debate.

KKrouner
10-03-2004, 07:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were guessing I'd say the bush administration already has hm or knows quite well where he is and will ring him to light sometime in the next month.

KK

Matty
10-03-2004, 08:20 AM
http://www.electoral-vote.com/

[ QUOTE ]
Survey USA has polled over 20,000 people in 14 states and 21 cities to ask who won the first debate. In 11 states and 15 cities Kerry was the clear winner. In 2 states and 6 cities, Bush was the clear winner. Colorado was a tossup. Ominously for Bush, the 2 states that said he won the debate are Texas and Oklahoma, which he has in the bag already, but the states that gave Kerry the win include Oregon (by 19%), Maine (by 18%), Pennsylvania (by 22%), Arkansas (by 12%), and most significantly Florida (by 24%).

[/ QUOTE ]

tanda
10-03-2004, 09:51 AM
There are serious questions about this poll, especially the fact that every other poll to date still shows Bush leading (Rasmussen and Democracy Corps) and other quickie debate polls show no major change (ABC and Gallup).

Jimbo
10-03-2004, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't you the same guy that believes Kerry will win in November? So much for what you think!

Jimbo

andyfox
10-03-2004, 02:32 PM
He does, though, make a good point. Suppose you knew nothing about the two candidates before the debate. You had not seen either, nor heard of them, nor did you knew of their histories, political leanings, life stores, nothing. You now have to decide how to vote only on the basis of what you saw in the debate.

While you may disagree with some of the positions Kerry took in the debate, IMHO, not many people would decide they wanted Bush to be president.

vulturesrow
10-03-2004, 02:45 PM
NT,

That and the fact that we conducted so many attacks on various cave complexes in Afghanistan that to think we actually nailed him in one of them is entirely feasible. I just find it very strange that he hasnt been heard from at all in quite some time. That is my reasoning.

wacki
10-03-2004, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There are serious questions about this poll, especially the fact that every other poll to date still shows Bush leading (Rasmussen and Democracy Corps) and other quickie debate polls show no major change (ABC and Gallup).

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, Newsweek is very anti-bush.

Bush has taken some serious hits lately, but pinnacle still has him up.

21 Republican Party -163
22 Democratic Party +153

Matty
10-03-2004, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]It sure doesn't show. They had Bush +11 after the RNC.

Nepa
10-03-2004, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aren't you the same guy that believes Kerry will win in November? So much for what you think!

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

So your saying you couldn't beat Bush in a debate?

Matty
10-03-2004, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]A Gallup poll just came out with a huge swing for Kerry- making it 49-49.

MMMMMM
10-03-2004, 07:10 PM
Who cares what the latest line is (unless you are betting)?

Only thing that matters is on Election Day.

lastchance
10-03-2004, 07:20 PM
I am betting. :P People should be taking all sorts of horrible lines here based on their own personal beliefs, and therefore, I want to try to make money off an event which is definitely overblown.

wacki
10-03-2004, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]It sure doesn't show. They had Bush +11 after the RNC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding? Michael Isikoff from newsweek was all over the white house forged document issue. He writes “how the U.S. government was snookered by forged documents purporting to show Iraqi efforts to purchase uranium from Niger.”

“asked tough questions about how the White House came to embrace the fraudulent documents and why administration officials chose to include a 16-word reference to the questionable uranium purchase in President Bush’s 2003 State of the Union.”

Yes that one piece of evidence was fake, but the Niger thing ended up being TRUE! Look how much time he spent covering the "scandel" and look how much time he admits the Niger thing actually happened.

Anytime a newsweek person goes on TV they are always argueing against Bush, and IMO, not very well. There are very good arguements against Bush, but I don't see them in Newsweek.

The Bush and God story was horrible, and a complete waste of my time.

Newsweek's Howard Fineman quotes:

"a nation that harbors doubts about the president’s ability."

"Bush has yet to find a note of eloquence in his own voice" "did not look larger than life at his Oval Office desk, or even particularly comfortable."

What is the purpose of those? Seriously, what is the practical purpose of those quotes but to make you hate Bush for inconsequential reasons?

"The tasks he faces now were made harder by the way in which he entered office, and by how he has conducted himself there so far. He got 500,000 votes fewer than his foe and needed a 5-4 U.S. Supreme Court ruling to seal the deal. As president he has avoided the bully pulpit; now he has to build one and speak from it at the same time. Leaders in Congress who know him like him, but some still quietly disparaged his ability even as they marveled at what, until that day, was his enviable string of good luck. Now he looks like a luxury we can’t afford."

Is that not anti-bush?

They constantly quote democrats that say things like:

"Nor has Bush built a consensus behind a foreign policy to justify the war he is about to make. To the contrary: the president, as some critics see it, has pursued a pull-up-the-drawbridges mentality that has only made matters worse. 'Our foreign policy for the past year has been too unilateral,'"

I could go on and on, but I won't, it's not worth my time.

It's one thing to be constantly quoting anti-bush people and probush people, but they spend way too much time quoting antibush people. And they quote to much crap. I mean crap as the quote is legit but the material is crap.

Matty
10-03-2004, 11:09 PM
Nice tangent, but do you have any evidence that their polling is biased?

adios
10-03-2004, 11:26 PM
Last week Grey was posting MoveOn.org propaganda about how biased the Gallup poll is. This week he posts how the Gallup poll has the race dead even. I guess Gallup is finally getting it right now according to grey, typical. You're right, the only poll that counts is the one on 11/02/04. Weren't many of the polls farily far off the mark in 2000?

wacki
10-03-2004, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice tangent, but do you have any evidence that their polling is biased?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have to read their poll to break it apart. I read a poll from either CNN or Newsweek ( I forget which) that asked who is worse Saddam or Bush. I was amazed at how many people thought Bush was worse. Then at the end of the article it described what section of the populace they were polling. Clever, but not exactly ethical in my book. It was very misleading.

I tend to leave polling to the pollsters that have a good track record such as Gallup. JMO

No proof just skeptical, that's all. I try and waste as little time as I can at newsweek and CNN.

Matty
10-03-2004, 11:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Last week Grey was posting MoveOn.org propaganda about how biased the Gallup poll is. This week he posts how the Gallup poll has the race dead even. I guess Gallup is finally getting it right now according to grey, typical. You're right, the only poll that counts is the one on 11/02/04. Weren't many of the polls farily far off the mark in 2000?

[/ QUOTE ]No, gallup is no more credible to me now than it was before, but the fact that Gallup clearly oversamples Republicans (sometimes by as much as 30%) doesn't matter when what I'm pointing out is the 11-point swing they had towards Kerry.

So now we have:

Gallup: 49-49
Newsweek: Kerry 49, Bush 46
and
LA Times: Kerry 49, Bush 47 (among debate-viewers)

wacki
10-04-2004, 01:07 AM
Fair enough. This poll looks accurate enough.

I've never heard the Gallup oversampling republican by 30% comment. You have nay links? I've just heard they had one of the best track records when it comes to presidential elections. I tend to be skeptical of anything Newsweek or CNN says. I guess I was being over skeptical when I made that comment.

Daliman
10-04-2004, 01:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're still feeling completely confident about Bush winning, you have little concept of how elections pan out.

Hopefully, you're kidding.

Either way, it'd gonna be close.

GHWB
10-04-2004, 08:13 AM
My son is beginning to sweat. He needs to retire ASAP. You can help.

http://bushspeaks.com/img/bush-blinks.gif