PDA

View Full Version : No Limit Hand

10-22-2001, 03:38 PM
Home game: We are playing 5 handed no limit. Everyone has around 100+ in front of them and we are playing with a $1 blind. I have $160 in front of me and i am utg with QQ. I made it 4 to go and a very tight on the button raises it $20 more to me. I reraised him$40 back and then he flew out of his seat and put me all in. He had $180. It was very apparent that this wasn't even KK. So i stand up and am shocked thatthe action I finally caught with my queens caught me in an AA trap. I folded my hand and kept my remaining $100. He showed his aces. I have two questions,

1, I have supersystem and in db states that my move should only be done with KK or AA. It was a 5 handed game so i really didn't think there would be that strong of hands out there. Do you guys think my reraise of $40 was a good play or should i have called and taken the flop?

2. When i had the 60 in the pot and it was 100 back to me with aces, should i have called the remaining 100? The odds of beating his aces are 4.5 to 1 and it was a little less than even money so i was getting my odds. I know i can beat this game in the long run so I couldn't justify myself to throw in the $100 just bc i had the odds. What doy ou guys think? Thanks in advance

10-22-2001, 05:54 PM
the odds of flopping a queen are 7.5:1, not 4.5:1. You said he had 180 in front of him and you had 160. When he raises you $20 you can call the $20 to try and win $160. your implied odds are 160:20 or 8:1 so you have a small overlay if you want to call and pray for a queen. This is only true if you can lay down even if the flop is 8-5-3 rainbow.

When you re-raised I think you have to ask yourself what you hope to accomplish. Do you want him to fold or are you trying to get more money in the pot? It sounds like you wanted information and he confirmed what you already suspected.

10-22-2001, 05:55 PM
My answers

1. It depends on how good you play after the flop in this situation. Your last reraise is good if you will have trouble folding your queens on a flop with no overcards. Example: if you´re capable of loosing $140 on a flop like J, 8, 3 then it makes sense to pay 40 to be sure you´re beaten.

Thank your opponent (not out loud though) for the all-in

re-reraise so that you can fold your hand after spending "only" $64. You did not get trapped as you say, you got relised.

If your opponent was more of a player he would reason something like this.

"UTG bets $4 and when I raised $20 he reraises 40 more. That must mean a big pair, but I have two aces so he probably has kings (or maybe queens). If I only call know I am risking that he will flop a set, but that's very unlikely. If I call he will hopefully put me on A-K and I can get his final $100 if the flop comes with no scarecards. I´m willing to take that risk. I call."

2. If you call the all-in raise your risking 100 to win 229, NO WAY you have odds.

10-23-2001, 05:13 AM
I think that the man with the aces played to fast in this hand and by doing so lost $100....... But he did not want to be beaten by flopped trips.

If you agree with me that it´s a good gamble to just call the $40 and trap with the aces (instead of movin´ in) in this situation. Pot $129 and only $100 more to bet on the flop. Remember that UTG raised got reraised and raised again.

When would it be correct to move in instead?

A. When both players have 200 dollars left.

B. When both players have 500 dollars left.

C. When both players have 1000 dollars left.

D. It does´nt matter as you are supposed to know/feel when your unimproved aces gets cracked.

10-26-2001, 01:26 AM
good fold... at least you knew you were beaten here.